What's new

Bull Mastiff aggressiveness

I recently got a Bob's Razor Bull Mastiff. First this is one great looking razor. The replated NEW head looks terrific on that knurled handle which has great weight. My question is the aggressiveness. I mostly use a '47 SuperSpeed and get very nice shaves. The Bull gives a smooth shave but I have slightly sensitive skin afterward. I believe this is due to the more aggressive nature of it. How does this rate either to my SS or the subjective number on a Fatboy? Like I said, this a fine razor in so many ways and I may have to adjust my technique a bit, I get no nicks, cuts or weepers,to get an irritation free shave. Any thoughts on this or the relative aggressiveness?

I dont know but the new heads are charming, I prefer more aggressive like the old type heads. I have a razor coming in from Bob I cant wait for it. :thumbup1:

R

rainman

Just the fact that its an open comb could be causing the irritation. They are not for everyone.

It's more aggressive than my 49 SS and I put a Tech head on to compare. Much smoother but the shave's not as good. I'm going to try some different blades in it next...

The Bull Mastiff is just the handle and at 77 grams with the metal knob isn't for everybody, some find it too heavy.
I have a wooden knob option that reduces the weight to 60 grams.
People have varying opinions on the NEW heads some say they're aggressive some say they're mild as a Tech.
I love them but find that they're rather sensitive to the blade used, more so then most other razor heads.
I get great results with IPs, Derbys and Bics, not so good results with Feathers.

guru -

I have the same issue with the NEW head. Works like a charm, but my skin feel sensitive after using it. Here is what helped me: use very short and light strokes, shorter then with a closed head and absolutely no pressure.

Also tried the Bull Mastif handle with Tech head, which is smooth but not aggressive enough for me.

The head of Feather travel razor seems to be a perfect match, it looks to be a copy of the original Tech head, however it gives a better, more aggressive yet smooth shave. The finish of the plating is so-so, but it is ok. See the reviews section for other opinions on the Feather travel head. Hope that helps.

Bob - I would think that the Mastiff with the wooden knob would skew the balance too much...I mean, with the metal knob, it feels perfectly balance in my hand...heavy, and the center point seems to be a little closer to the head, giving it more tail weight and the result is a lighter feeling head. I would imagine with a wooden knob the result would be reversed, and you'd end up with a heavier head, which would put more pressure on the blade, causing the impression of more aggression. I don't know, I suppose it's all in the way the user grips the razor when shaving, so as in all things, YMMV.

I just know my Bull Mastiff/NEW combo has become my go-to razor, and I've retired all my super speeds, adjustables, and Futur.

Bob, one last question - does the British NEW head have the same threading as the US? Would one work on your handle? If so, do you have any?

Bob - I would think that the Mastiff with the wooden knob would skew the balance too much...I mean, with the metal knob, it feels perfectly balance in my hand...heavy, and the center point seems to be a little closer to the head, giving it more tail weight and the result is a lighter feeling head. I would imagine with a wooden knob the result would be reversed, and you'd end up with a heavier head, which would put more pressure on the blade, causing the impression of more aggression. I don't know, I suppose it's all in the way the user grips the razor when shaving, so as in all things, YMMV.

I just know my Bull Mastiff/NEW combo has become my go-to razor, and I've retired all my super speeds, adjustables, and Futur.

Bob, one last question - does the British NEW head have the same threading as the US? Would one work on your handle? If so, do you have any?

Yes a British NEW head will fit and no I've never gotten any in.
Since they're very desirable they're alway out of my price range on e-bay.
I've had buyers who haven't done their home work buy the Bull Mastiff handle only to discover that it's too heavy for them, changing the knob reduces the weight by 17 grams.

Last edited:
I have the XL handle with metal knob and use a Tech head. Try different blades for a change. I started out with Derby's and switch to 7 a.m.'s and will eventually get to my favorite yellow Russians.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I currently use a British head with my Bull Mastiff without any problems. I also had the Gillette 7 o'clock edition of the NEW (British also), no problems there.

After 7 or 8 shaves, two blade changes, I am getting incredibly smooth, 2 pass shaves with little irritation and no cuts, nicks or weepers. After shaving so long with a SuperSpeed as my main razor, I just needed to adjust my technique a little. Shorter strokes with very little pressure. The handle takes care of it. It'll be my main razor for a while. Thanks to Bob's Razor Works for a great job to make such a functional and beautiful peice.

I'd have to agree on the NEW head leaving my skin a bit irritated. My biggest problem was I was used to a Müle R89 (the 2009 incarnation). The Müle and the NEW require very different razor angles. It's not even close. I haven't shaved any Gillette other than the NEW, but I would guess the optimal angle is similar.

I would also agree that open combs are a completely different feel, so that could also be part of the experience.

I'd also vote for the wood knob. I much prefer the weighting and think it looks much classier. The metal knob's cool (I have them both), but I prefer the wood.

All in all though, that Bull Mastiff's a great handle and matching a re-plated NEW head on it is off the charts. Bob does some great work!

Glad to hear that Guru!

Would you tell me how do you get BBS in two passes? A lot of people saying that they can get excellent results in a two pass shave, but I never really get close to it. I always need 3 or 4 passes, no matter which razor or blade I am using. One pass WTG and the other ATG?

I'm Nordic and have the perfect beard for shaving, but not for growing. Light to medium beard and not a very sensitve face. I shave XTG to ATG on first pass. The Bull Mastiff almost gives me a one pass shave!
I kind of like the metal, but I'd have to see the kind of wood. Yeah, the right wood on that beautiful knurling would look good.

You are lucky, well luckier than me. My beard is tough for shaving, bare for growing and skin sensitive like hell. The most unfortunate mismatch.

It depends on which New head you have. The long-tooth is more aggressive than the SS's and the short-tooth. I can't remember exactly, but it's the equivalent blade gap to a Fat Boy or Slim on 3 or 4. Plus the comb aspect.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
So in terms of agressiveness, Most is the Old Type, then the New, then the Tech heads?

It depends on which New head you have. The long-tooth is more aggressive than the SS's and the short-tooth. I can't remember exactly, but it's the equivalent blade gap to a Fat Boy or Slim on 3 or 4. Plus the comb aspect.

I shave my head and find the opposite to be true.
Short tooth more aggressive then the long tooth.

Top Bottom