What's new

Buffing Wheel Question

So I watched undream22's youtube videos detailing a step-by-step restoration of a straight, and he's using a variable speed delta bench buffer set at 1700 rpm. Now, I cannot find one of these locally at anything approaching an affordable price (for me). But I did see a 3600 rpm bench buffer at Harbor Freight that I can afford. 6" Buffer

So, the question: Can this be used for blade restoration, or do I have to save up for a variable/low speed one that i'll have to order online?

Thanks in advance

I have seen a professional honer use an ~3000 rpm 6 in. grinder equipped with buffing wheels for buffing straight razors. The lower speeds (~1700-1800 rpm) are to prevent "blueing" on carbon steel with actual grinding wheels; apart from this, I can't really speak to what a buffing wheel would do at 3600 rpm. I think there is a Craftsman clone of the Delta variable-speed that may be a little bit less expensive, especially if it is part of a promotion, and there are also some relatively inexpensive designs available from Grizzly.

Edit: I bet an MCM router speed control dial (rated at up to 15 amps) would also be able to dial-down a fast cheapo grinder, if needed. You could contact MCM and ask them. They did an on-the-spot analysis of a random-orbit sander used in such way when I asked them several months ago.

So I watched undream22's youtube videos detailing a step-by-step restoration of a straight, and he's using a variable speed delta bench buffer set at 1700 rpm. Now, I cannot find one of these locally at anything approaching an affordable price (for me). But I did see a 3600 rpm bench buffer at Harbor Freight that I can afford. 6" Buffer

So, the question: Can this be used for blade restoration, or do I have to save up for a variable/low speed one that i'll have to order online?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have seen a professional honer use an ~3000 rpm 6 in. grinder equipped with buffing wheels for buffing straight razors. The lower speeds (~1700-1800 rpm) are to prevent "blueing" on carbon steel with actual grinding wheels; apart from this, I can't really speak to what a buffing wheel would do at 3600 rpm. I think there is a Craftsman clone of the Delta variable-speed that may be a little bit less expensive, especially if it is part of a promotion, and there are also some relatively inexpensive designs available from Grizzly.

Edit: I bet an MCM router speed control dial (rated at up to 15 amps) would also be able to dial-down a fast cheapo grinder, if needed. You could contact MCM and ask them. They did an on-the-spot analysis of a random-orbit sander used in such way when I asked them several months ago.

Thanks, man. I might look into that MCM idea. Seems like it might be the easiest option.

Actually, I made a bit of a slip: it's mlcswoodworking.com you want for the router speed control, not mcm (which is a DIY audiophile-electronics type site). Been a little while since I checked my junk-mailings in the States. And as with any variable-speed control, it's best to let the machine come to full speed before dialing down to the lower speed.

Last edited:
This looks worth a try at the price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1APY8B08ACKAMEZ7JFYV

It's not like you are opening up a shop and going to use it constantly right?

No, this is a hobby. I'll be using this weekly at the most. That one you showed is probably just the ticket for about $50 shipped.

What is the price range you are looking at? That is the first question...

Tom

I can go up to about $60-70, but I don't need anything professional grade. Just something to make the blades look purdy. Without turning them into garbage.

The Grizzly G9717 grinder and the MLCS speed control are $38.70 + $29.95 = $68.65, shipping included. With that you get access to 6 in. muslin buffing wheels, 6 in. being mentioned in the OP, which would an additional expenditure, as would be pastes.

I'm thinking a setup like this might work and be the most readily available. I have the wheels, need the compound, but that's what christmas is for.

I use a way overspeed buffer.. Its doable, but you need to be careful of heat and flying metal (if you're not super careful). Im going to get some smaller wheels to bring down the speed some

I'm using the Craftsman buffer. It's a single speed... I think it's 3600 rpm, but don't quote me on that. I use 4" wheels. It works fine, but like mdunn said, above, you have to be aware that the razor can get hot if you have it on the wheel for a long time.

You could get away with a higher speed buffer, but, i would highly recommend 4" wheels if you do go that way.

The important number here is feet per minute...

6" @ 1700RPM = 2,670 feet per minute
6" @ 3600RPM = 5,654 feet per minute
4" @ 1700RPM = 1,780 feet per minute
4" @ 3600RPM = 3,770 feet per minute

I like slower speeds (3000fpm or less) for greaseless.. But many times for buffing scales and stuff I prefer faster speeds (4000fpm+)
Just choose an appropriate size wheel, if your grinder/buffer does not have variable speed....

The main reason I do not like faster speeds is that heat builds up VERY FAST when working with these things -- and it is very easy to ruin the temper of a razor, especially if you're working on a full hollow blade.

-Brad

Another buffer question... do you guys prefer a spiral wheel or a softer wheel for greaseles? Also, what brands of greaseless compound are people using?

Thanks.

Any thoughts on going for a dedicated buffer & polisher over converting a grinder into one? The buffer I like is 2 1/2 to 3 times the price of the grinder I was going to use, but it's slim body looks like there would be so much more clearance to move. I guess if I just had 5 blades to polish I would maybe just convert a grinder, but I've more like 50 blades, with more in the future. Old threads rule -
And here was me thinking that an 8" buffer with big thick wheels would be best.

Top Bottom