What's new

Budget-oriented new shaver checking in

First of all, a bit of background. I live in Norway, where safety razors are long extinct, and canned foam is the only soapy product available. I've got very tough facial hair, so I've never really been happy with my cartridge-based shaves, and electric shavers plain don't work. While I've been vaguely aware of the concept of safety razors for a while, I've not taken the plunge until now. I like ordering cheap stuff on Ali, so I ended up ordering a razor and some blades there before I discovered communities such as this one.

I've been shaving with the QShave adjustable and Dorco blades for a while. I had to make do with canned foam until very recently, and noticed a distinct increase in comfort once I finally received the soap and brush. And today, I finally received received the blades I'd ordered.

proxy.php

I went with a variety of cheap but well-regarded blades to try out, and took a gamble on the Astra SPs to get free shipping from razorbladesclub (Plus, it was only $10 for 100). I've only had time to try the Astras thus far, but they were certainly a marked improvement in comparison with the Dorcos.

I've also ordered the Weishi 9306 ($6) and Baili BD176 ($8, including a case and stand), so I should probably have enough razors and blades to experiment with for a while.

Any value products I've forgotten? It'd be nice to try more soaps, such as Arko and La Toja, but the shipping seems to be the killer for the most part. Perhaps a Yaqi synthetic brush as well, although one brush should be plenty, shouldn't it? :)

One brush is enough, and an Omega boar is a good choice. A Yaqi synthetic is a good buy if your wanting to try other brushes though. Soaps, that can be a deep rabbit hole. :)

Looks like your off to a great start though.

And welcome to B&B!

Where in Norway?

My family and I are absolutely in LOVE with Norway. My daughter became fascinated with it and now we are all studying Norwegian on Duolingo.

Would love to visit or move there one day but that seems unlikely unfortunately.

We did attend a Syttende Mai celebration in DC last year.

Any value products I've forgotten? It'd be nice to try more soaps, such as Arko and La Toja, but the shipping seems to be the killer for the most part.

Have you looked at eBay, because there are sellers of Arko that I believe offer free worldwide shipping.

Being a beginner myself too, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt:
  • Proraso soap
  • A cheap Chinese badger brush (check eBay or AliExpress)

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! You have some nice gear & are well on your way to enjoying this wonderful pastime. You've got some nice blades, & Astra SP are some of the best, so congrats on getting 100 of those for so little money. Glad to have you here on B & B, jump in & join in the conversations!

Welcome aboard!

One of the great things about wet shaving and safety razors is just how budget friendly it is. As far as budget goes, it's not too hard to put together a set up that gives yields spectacular results and is an enjoyable experience.

Here's my current price breakdown with my daily driver (USD):

1955 Gillette Flare Tip ($25-30 for a nice one - mine is an heirloom. It will probably outlast me with care)
Voskhod - $18 for 100 ($.18 each X 2-4 shaves each)
B&B Essential Boar $45 w/ shipping IIR (lathers almost anything - purchased 6 years ago and going strong
Proraso Red - $10 free shipping with the big river site
Clubman - $8 at my local store
Optional bowl - anything palm sized. I like a bit of texture at the bottom to assist in agitation.

When you break out the cost per shave, I figure I'm around $.08 per shave - it would be less it I weren't a head shaver with every AD in the book!:badger:

One brush is enough, and an Omega boar is a good choice. A Yaqi synthetic is a good buy if your wanting to try other brushes though.

One good brush is enough to start*, razor too - I feel it helps train lathering & angle etc.

Notice that almost all of us say "start"! YMMV, but I found 2 things to be true here:
1. GREAT bunch of gentlemen (and a few women) with a wealth of knowledge to share. :badger:
2. WORST bunch of enablers I've ever encountered! :bayrum2: Fortunately it's (mostly) budget friendly.

Soaps, that can be a deep rabbit hole. :)
Yes, yes it can. Then there's creams and sticks...

Welcome aboard!

You have some great kit and can surely save $ with traditional shaving compared to carts.

First of all, a bit of background. I live in Norway, where safety razors are long extinct, and canned foam is the only soapy product available. I've got very tough facial hair, so I've never really been happy with my cartridge-based shaves, and electric shavers plain don't work. While I've been vaguely aware of the concept of safety razors for a while, I've not taken the plunge until now. I like ordering cheap stuff on Ali, so I ended up ordering a razor and some blades there before I discovered communities such as this one.

I've been shaving with the QShave adjustable and Dorco blades for a while. I had to make do with canned foam until very recently, and noticed a distinct increase in comfort once I finally received the soap and brush. And today, I finally received received the blades I'd ordered.

proxy.php

I went with a variety of cheap but well-regarded blades to try out, and took a gamble on the Astra SPs to get free shipping from razorbladesclub (Plus, it was only $10 for 100). I've only had time to try the Astras thus far, but they were certainly a marked improvement in comparison with the Dorcos.

I've also ordered the Weishi 9306 ($6) and Baili BD176 ($8, including a case and stand), so I should probably have enough razors and blades to experiment with for a while.

Any value products I've forgotten? It'd be nice to try more soaps, such as Arko and La Toja, but the shipping seems to be the killer for the most part. Perhaps a Yaqi synthetic brush as well, although one brush should be plenty, shouldn't it? :)

Hi Aquilus and welcome,

I'm a cheap shaver myself lol!

I'm not sure about shipping to Norway or the taxes to however, a lot of items from aliexpress include free shipping.
Yaqi Factory Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com

For brushes, I would really second a good boar brush like a 11126 or 10049
TFS soaps
Welcome To Connaught Shaving has awesome prices for brushes, soaps and the shipping is very reasonable.

I get my blades in bulk from ebay
500 blades Gillette NACET new STAINLESS double edge razor blade high quality | eBay

Cheers,

mawashi

Where in Norway?

My family and I are absolutely in LOVE with Norway. My daughter became fascinated with it and now we are all studying Norwegian on Duolingo.

Would love to visit or move there one day but that seems unlikely unfortunately.

We did attend a Syttende Mai celebration in DC last year.

Oslo, but I'm originally from the Stavanger area. It's a great place to live as long as you can deal with the cold and low availability of shaving supplies ;)

Have you looked at eBay, because there are sellers of Arko that I believe offer free worldwide shipping.

Being a beginner myself too, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt:
  • Proraso soap
  • A cheap Chinese badger brush (check eBay or AliExpress)

There are some reasonably priced Arko options on ebay, although the ones with "free shipping" actually tend to cost more in total. But I'm not sure I want to buy a pack of 6 or 12 soaps when Arko is such a love or hate business, from what I've heard.

Hi Aquilus and welcome,

I'm a cheap shaver myself lol!

I'm not sure about shipping to Norway or the taxes to however, a lot of items from aliexpress include free shipping.
Yaqi Factory Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com

For brushes, I would really second a good boar brush like a 11126 or 10049
TFS soaps
Welcome To Connaught Shaving has awesome prices for brushes, soaps and the shipping is very reasonable.

I get my blades in bulk from ebay
500 blades Gillette NACET new STAINLESS double edge razor blade high quality | eBay

Cheers,

mawashi

Yep, as I mentioned, all of my razor orders are from Aliexpress, and I actually ordered the soap and Omega boar brush I have from Connaught. Ebay definitely seems the way to go for certain brands of blades, I just need to figure out my preference before I stock up in bulk.

Oslo, but I'm originally from the Stavanger area. It's a great place to live as long as you can deal with the cold and low availability of shaving supplies ;)

There are some reasonably priced Arko options on ebay, although the ones with "free shipping" actually tend to cost more in total. But I'm not sure I want to buy a pack of 6 or 12 soaps when Arko is such a love or hate business, from what I've heard.

Yep, as I mentioned, all of my razor orders are from Aliexpress, and I actually ordered the soap and Omega boar brush I have from Connaught. Ebay definitely seems the way to go for certain brands of blades, I just need to figure out my preference before I stock up in bulk.

Absolutely which is why sample packs are a great start. I own a Merkur Futur and it's a super fun razor although, my preferences have switched over to the cheap UK techs and the more expensive rockets.

My 2 cents, nacets ss and astra so are super razors and at the top of my cheap n good blades.

Cheers and I would love to visit your beautiful country one day.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a great start. It will take some experimenting to find what works best for you. Make one change at a time. What works for you, works for you. Make your DE shave the best part of your day.

I'm a new budget-oriented user from Norway too, have been DE-shaving and reading on this forum for years though.

Buy most my stuff from ebay. There are norwegian online barberstores, but they are pricey compared to ebay/aliexpress. Shipping to Norway from the other side of the world is most often cheaper than shipping within Norway too...

I would recomend a boar brush like Omega or Samogue. Can be a bit smelly and stiff in the beginning, but they are cheap and very good. I have a couple of badgers, but only use a Samogue boar as it feels less "flimsy" than badgers I have.
I normally use shaving creams as they are IMO easiest to use. I have a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street that I like a lot and have lasted a very long time. It is also very affordable given the amount of shaves it lasts.
I use Astra SP and am very pleased with them.

I lived for 6 years in Norway and speak the language - another fan here.

You're OK for razors and blades. I'd suggest a Yaqi synthetic brush off AliExpress - you don't need to go into boar and badger now that synthetics are just as good and cheaper. Something like a 24mm or 26mm Moka or Timber Wolf.

I made the mistake of starting off with cheap soaps that were supposed to be for "beginners" - Tabac, Arko, Cella, Proraso. They were a COMPLETE waste of money. Disliked the scent of all of them and lost money getting rid of them. Don't make the same mistake I made - start with one or two really good soaps. Mitchell's Wool Fat is a cheap and top tier soap with many fans. But in Norway I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Fitjar soap, especially since you're from Stavangar. Fjellheim is the usual favourite, though I like Folgefonn as well with its menthol kick. These kind of artisan soaps are the ones you'll want to collect, one by one. Next look at Saponificio Varesino - Dolomiti, Manna di Sicilia and Stella Alpina. All true classics you'll really enjoy.

My dream would be to live in the Lofoten Islands or Bodø (Bodø/Glimt førr evig).

My wife was born in Canada so the cold is part of what she loves!

Not sure what shipping would be to Norway but if you want to buy some stuff online and have it sent to me and then have me mail it to you all at once (instead of having to pay multiple shipping costs) let me know via DM. It would be my pleasure to help out.

I just bought a pack of nine sticks of Arko and I'd throw a few of those in for free too.... I love it, my wife thinks it's disgusting.

Top Bottom