What's new

brush hygiene

I am still recovering from folliculitis after two weeks ( don't EVER get it) and even though the Dr confirmed the root cause as a reaction to meds I have become obsessed with sterilizing everything that comes in contact with my face until all is completely gone. I would like to sterilize my brush once in a while and was wondering what the best way to do this would be. I figured a little alcohol wouldn't be to tough on he hairs if it was completely rinsed not to long after application. Thoughts?

+1 to the wiki link posted by Bruce, it is the proper way to care for your brush. PLEASE don't soak your poor brush in alcohol!!

To clean something that can't be cleaned with alcohol - I suggest buying a UV lamp and letting the brush / razor / toothbrush / etc sit for 10 minutes under the lamp.

I'm curious as to why everyone is against the Barbicide.

I actually spoke with three different barbers and all of them recommended me to use a reduced strength mixture of the Barbicide, one cap full to 8 ounces and let soak for ten minutes (they actually gave me a dilution of a much larger amount but it reduces down to one cap full in 8 ounces of water).

I have used this sterilization step on every one of the used brushes I have recieved after I have cleaned them with a variation of the above vinegar wash and also use it periodically on my new brushes I have bought, the vinegar wash is awesome because the pH of vinegar (depending on the brand and the dilution) is very acidic and helps break up the any soap residue and "gunk" that can build up over years.

As always YMMV but I haven't seen any ill effects on my brushes, I don't know what the barbicide could do to the brush hairs any worse than the acidity of the vinegar when comparing these two things (knowing I'm a proponent of both steps). Based on a acid level alone of both products the pH of straight vinegar is 2.5-3.4 and the pH of Barbicide is 10-11, the vinegar is far more agressive than the Barbicide.

Good luck cleaning and disinfecting your brush!

Justin

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just like to point out that the methods discussed are cleaning, and possibly disinfecting, but certainly not sterilizing.
A ph of 10-11 would mean it is alkaline not acidic, and about as alkaline as oven cleaner.
I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use barbacide or whatever you like. It's your brush.

As for me, I just wash mine with soap and water. I figure if it works for my face and hands, that's good enough. I don't use vinegar or barbicide on my face and hands either.

+1 with using Barbicide. I use it on all my brushes from time to time in between vinegar washes and my brushes are still like new. When soaking in Barbicide, I soak almost the full length of the bristles but don't soak the handle/knot.

J...As for me, I just wash mine with soap and water. I figure if it works for my face and hands, that's good enough. I don't use vinegar or barbicide on my face and hands either.

Good Point.

The only time I use the wiki method, is when I acquire a used brush or the if the buyer of one of my brushes wants it's disinfected. Otherwise, I also just use soap and water method, but I use Dawn Original Liquid Dish soap. Dawn is the same one used by many music geeks like myself for cleaning vinyl (records), so I always have it on hand.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I could see Dawn dish soap as a viable cleaner. Maybe even more so if one uses any pre-shave product.

I got it, I got it!!!

I think the best way to make sure no bugs, germs, fungi or bacteria are living in your brushes is to shave a strip out of the middle of your brush, light one side on fire and then as the bugs, germs, fungi and bacteria are jumping to the side not on fire you take a napalm tourch and kill them...

Thoughts???

Forgot to add YMMV...Sorry!

I got it, I got it!!!

I think the best way to make sure no bugs, germs, fungi or bacteria are living in your brushes is to shave a strip out of the middle of your brush, light one side on fire and then as the bugs, germs, fungi and bacteria are jumping to the side not on fire you take a napalm tourch and kill them...

Thoughts???

As far as I know, synthetic brushes are not hollow like badger hair brushes, and therefore I consider them to be more sanitary. They work very well with anything that’s detergent based. My toothbrush is made from the same synthetic material.

Hmm... I've never done anything but rinse the brush out thoroughly, shake it out, and put it back in its stand. Looks, feels, smells just fine. Brush is a Vulfix 2234. YMMV...

I've read or viewed several brush cleaning tutorials and always wondered why people used dish soap rather than shampoo. If it's a natural hair brush of whatever kind, wouldn't it be better to use a soap intended for hair? It seems that if I were to use dish soap on my hair that it would be a bit harsh and drying.

I'll second the uv lamp method,seems like it shouldn't harm the brush while killing most the the nasties.

Top Bottom