What's new

Brush Drop (05/06/24)

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Cool handles! What’s the H01 knot I see in the drop down? I didn’t see anything in the knot notes

I'd have to ask Cody, but I'm pretty sure it's short for "handle 01"), which is superfluous when there isn't any other example of the same variant being offered.

The semi-bulb badger knots we're offering alongside our 2-band synthetics are *D9s, which have been in circulation for a while. We also used them for the Contributors brushes last year.

What scared me is the rather confusing nature of Paladin’s ordering process (if one can even refer to it as process). So, I selected a handle (Samurai 26 mm Neptune) and proceeded to express checkout via PayPal. On the order review page, I noticed that $240 gets me just the handle as no knot was included. If I wanted a synthetic knot, the price would be unchanged but I need to choose that. If I wanted a badger knot, the price goes up by $15 if I choose that option. There’s also some Oumo knot (or something like that) for the same extra price as badger but no explanation what that is.

So, I quit. For better customer service, I would recommend a simple ordering process where you allow customers to choose both the handle and knot, clearly showing prices for each before checkout. Pretty much how every online ordering process works. I thought that HO1 was the knot designation and almost completed the order without noticing that I would have received just a handle for $240 and no knot whatsoever. Not at all what I would have wanted.

In conclusion, Paladin brush business has remained too tricky and shrouded in mystery for me. I wanted to own a Paladin brush given some beautiful examples I’ve seen in many forum threads. But it didn’t work out even after I’ve spent the last 6 months browsing the Paladin web site where nothing was available for sale with no explanation unless you knew where to look for details on this forum. Fascinating.

IMG_0070.jpeg
Seems the price reflects the handle with select badger knot included.

What scared me is the rather confusing nature of Paladin’s ordering process (if one can even refer to it as process). So, I selected a handle (Samurai 26 mm Neptune) and proceeded to express checkout via PayPal. On the order review page, I noticed that $240 gets me just the handle as no knot was included. If I wanted a synthetic knot, the price would be unchanged but I need to choose that. If I wanted a badger knot, the price goes up by $15 if I choose that option. There’s also some Oumo knot (or something like that) for the same extra price as badger but no explanation what that is.

So, I quit. For better customer service, I would recommend a simple ordering process where you allow customers to choose both the handle and knot, clearly showing prices for each before checkout. Pretty much how every online ordering process works. I thought that HO1 was the knot designation and almost completed the order without noticing that I would have received just a handle for $240 and no knot whatsoever. Not at all what I would have wanted.

In conclusion, Paladin brush business has remained too tricky and shrouded in mystery for me. I wanted to own a Paladin brush given some beautiful examples I’ve seen in many forum threads. But it didn’t work out even after I’ve spent the last 6 months browsing the Paladin web site where nothing was available for sale with no explanation unless you knew where to look for details on this forum. Fascinating.

I do agree with you that the ordering and brush info process is not as straightforward as it used to be. The description for each handle talks about the knot options, but one issue that I have is that a link provided goes to a knot code chart that doesn’t have anything updated past early 2021, which is clearly way behind the badger knots now being offered. The other issue that I see is that previous listings would have more details listed about loft, free loft etc… so if I’m looking at that now, I’m wondering does that give me the option of selecting higher or lower loft? It also doesn’t specify what the price difference is if you wanted a synth and seems like you have to wait for a reply to get a definitive answer on that (in which time maybe your handle of choice sells out since you get a pop up saying that whatever you select can only be held for 5 minutes…)

I say these things as a Paladin fan, but honestly the current system is less user-friendly the way it’s in there right now from what I see.

View attachment 1842009Seems the price reflects the handle with select badger knot included.

But the price doesn't reflect the handle with select badger knot included. The price reflects nothing but the handle. As I mentioned, if you take a good look at the order page during checkout, you'll see that if you want a badger knot (some badger knot) and you choose that option, the price goes up by $15. Admittedly, it's a very modest price increase for a badger knot, which in itself is already confusing. If you want a synthetic knot, you pay zero extra, i.e., synthetic knot or no knot at all costs that same as just the handle. This approach left me too confused to proceed as I have never seen an order and checkout process structured in this manner.

C’mon man, we know you pi$s and moan about the price of artisan stuff because you have cheaper things that work well for you. And that’s great, I’m glad that those things work and yes this is a public forum where people can post their opinions, but these continuous comments bashing artisan prices isn’t helpful and just gets a little old if I’m being honest…
I’ve just put him on ignore, I can’t even tell what he’s attempting to type out half the time anyway.

I’m in for one, went ahead with the Matte Ebony Marley w/Select. If it turns out that the pricing options incorrectly added $15 for select then maybe it can be adjusted later. If “knot”, then no biggie.

I know it’ll be a fantastic brush from a solid vendor… I don’t get worked up over the little things and spend paragraphs of text to bemoan “customer service” at every little glitch that presents itself.

I’m not sure how some people make it through the day to be honest!

Except for the previous recent edition brushes, all of them cost an additional shipping fee at the price with the knot attached.

For now, we can choose the knot (choose the knot in the shipping method when paying) but there is no shipping fee. It would be reasonable to say that the shipping fee is already melted in the price.

You don't have to be confused.
Rather, I think Paladin handed us the choice of knots.

I've seen posts with Paladin knots removed and other knots attached, and requests for synthetic knot brush drops.
Not everyone is satisfied, but I'm glad about this change in Paladin.

@ChiefBroom - any chance you saw the discrepancy in the item product page and checkout options? (Re: $15 up charge for select badger at checkout vs the item description saying it’s included)

What did you get?

Samurai 26 mm Neptune mentioned in my previous post. It's no longer listed for sale probably because handles are being sold quickly. I'd like to buy some more but need to wait for this order to process first. For example, that Tut 28 mm Satin Lapis Lazuli looks fantastic too. Also, my impression was that one can indeed order multiple brushes at the same time for, I believe, $20 knotting/shipping fee. But I could have gotten that wrong.

I found the ordering process to be straight forward and simple. First time purchaser and so excited to get the brush in the mail. Tracking was sent today via email!!

Top Bottom