What's new

Brush Chronicles No. 10 Omega Pro 10049 Boar

David,

How much water are you squeezing or shaking out of the brush before you start loading it?

Hi Shawn,

so far I am treating my brush as I would a badger and giving it a gentle shake. I have always found that my brushes load hard soaps more effectively when they are still quite damp. Lathering in the bowl is not something I normally do and with a new type of brush I am not yet 100% happy with the results. More research tomorrow.

Thanks for starting this Brush Chronicle. The Omega 49 is my main "home" brush, with the wee scot and Omega small imitation badger as my travel brushes (I'm actually away more than at home). After a very stinky month of trying to get rid of the smell (shampoo, vinegar, etc.) I've been using this brush more and more. Split ends have occurred nicely and it seems to retain water a little better as well. In general it is a much nice brush now than when I bought it 4-5 months ago and continues to improve.

I have a rather modest collection of soaps and creams. This brush works great with all, from triple milled UK soap to Arko to Proraso cream. Today I used it on cella and it was quick, easy and effective.

Great value for <$10. I would like to add a medium best or super badger to use on days when I feel like something different.

My results with this brush are improving and the lather that I made in the bowl this morning was the best yet:

After 30 seconds of loading on my Knize puck

Fully loaded after a minute

A little more water and this is the best lather that I have made with the Omega

Today's shave was with Arlington. I tried loading with a wetter brush and ended up with a soupy mess. Eventually I was able to get a decent lather.

proxy.php

Not the best lather, the shave was just ok.

proxy.php

That lather looks great David, really nice.

How do you like The Knize shaving soap?

Thanks Shawn,

it was certainly the best that I have yet produced with the Omega so far. The Knize soap is quite good- sadly only a veg product, but it performs pretty well anyway and the scent is to my liking. I am trying to decide which puck to put in my bowl after the Arlington is finished and Knize and C&E Sienna are both in the running at the moment.

Last edited:
I am a face-latherer and only turn to the bowl to shoot photos when something like the Brush Chronicles comes along. This morning I went back to the roots and tested my Omega on the face with some Eton College Cream.

Whilst I have never had a problem with the brush on my face, it's performance seems to have improved a little with some use in the past few days (and I may also have learnt a little more about how it operates). A great shave this morning!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
David and Shawn, great start, gentlemen! Omega, in my opinion, is the quintessential boar shaving brush. I used to own an Omega Pro 49, but trimmed the end to shorten the brush - VERY BAD IDEA - completely ruined the brush. Go figure :wink2: Honestly, it seemed like a good idea at the time. C'est la vie.

I think I remember that. I'm glad you posted your results to save the rest of us from making a similar mistake.

You knew this was coming right?

proxy.php

I used Marco's lathering technique for soft Italian soaps. After a about a minute I had this;

proxy.php

Add another minute of lathering;

proxy.php

Another 30-45 seconds and I'm ready to shave.

proxy.php

It's really amazing how much lather this brush can make. I gently shook out the excess water before I started building lather and didn't add any water at all. Next time I'll shake out more water because I had enough lather for a four pass shave and enough lather left over for probably two more passes.

proxy.php

You can't tell in this picture but I do have some ends splitting.

proxy.php

To all Omega 10049 owners - do you find this brush unwieldy whilst face lathering? I remember thinking it felt like a big wet noodle.

To all Omega 10049 owners - do you find this brush unwieldy whilst face lathering? I remember thinking it felt like a big wet noodle.

With such a long loft, I was afraid of that being the case, buddy. So far it has not been too much of a problem- but then my brush is still quite new. Of course, it is not like using a Duke, an Eagle or a Chubby but it proved itself to be worthwhile this morning.

I strictly face lather and don't have any problems with the brush. My tastes have changed since I got a Chubby 2 and have really begun to enjoy the larger brushes. Before the Chubby, I didn't use it nearly as much and thought it was bit on the large side.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I have not had a problem with it. The shafts of the boar bristle are fairly stiff. I used mine almost exclusively for about 18 month when I was truck driving. Face lathering was the norm and it was frequently put away wet in my dopp kit and forgotten about until the next shave 2 days later.

For the price, it is one of the most rugged brushes available. I bought mine specifically because I knew I was going to abuse it (like putting it away we) and figured if I wrecked it I was only out $10 and could easily get another one.

With such a long loft, I was afraid of that being the case, buddy. So far it has not been too much of a problem- but then my brush is still quite new. Of course, it is not like using a Duke, an Eagle or a Chubby but it proved itself to be worthwhile this morning.

I'll let you know, I haven't face lathered with it yet. Probably Friday morning.

This morning, I fed my Omega a dab of Proraso shaving cream. The fact that they both share the same mother-tongue may have helped but this seemed to be a match made in heaven.

We are, after all, talking about a couple of Italian classics!

A little water and 30 seconds in the bowl

A few more drops of water and a minute of lathering

Drip, drip and after 80 seconds.......

This lather was slick, rich and cushioning. Can't really ask for more than that.....

It's really amazing how much lather this brush can make.

Well it IS a professional barber's brush....:001_tongu

I gave my Pro 49 away awhile ago to a friend that was just starting wetshaving. I like my Semogues but my brush family felt incomplete without a boar. So I got one of the smaller brushes in the Pro series - a 10081. It has a 23mm knot and a 57mm loft I think. Anyway it's marvelous. Less dense than a Semogue but lathers like an absolute dream. Love it.

Goorej always delivers an excellent shave and today was no exception. I'm getting much more accustomed to how much water I should leave in the brush before I start lathering. I didn't need to add much water all all today.

proxy.php

Top Bottom