What's new
  • The Annual Sue Moore Auction is now running from 19 - 21 October. Every year proceeds from this auction and all monies raised go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Please take a look at the items that are available this year, as there is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Brush buying - your comments please

Greetings gentlemen:

I've just recently joined B&B and have spent some time going through the past postings.

I find your camraderie and helpfulness most warming and hope that in time I can contribute similarly.

For now, however, I'm in need of your help:

While I've never used an electric razor I've yet to use a brush and/or decent soap/cream. It seems obvious that the brush is an essential part of the experience.

I've pretty much decided that the B&B brush will be better than any I could source otherwise. After all who best to design a brush than those who have tested and purchased all other alternatives?

I'd like to get one when they become available ( I've sent a PM to Joel) but what to do until then? What brush to buy now given that with any luck I'll have a B&B in the near future?

I've thought that either the C&E Best Badger or the SR208 would be best for me after reading advice you've given to others. I considered the SR3118 but it seems a little pricey at USD$75 when I'll need the $ for the B&B.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
 
JAG said:
Greetings gentlemen:

I've just recently joined B&B and have spent some time going through the past postings.

I find your camraderie and helpfulness most warming and hope that in time I can contribute similarly.

For now, however, I'm in need of your help:

While I've never used an electric razor I've yet to use a brush and/or decent soap/cream. It seems obvious that the brush is an essential part of the experience.

I've pretty much decided that the B&B brush will be better than any I could source otherwise. After all who best to design a brush than those who have tested and purchased all other alternatives?

I'd like to get one when they become available ( I've sent a PM to Joel) but what to do until then? What brush to buy now given that with any luck I'll have a B&B in the near future?

I've thought that either the C&E Best Badger or the SR208 would be best for me after reading advice you've given to others. I considered the SR3118 but it seems a little pricey at USD$75 when I'll need the $ for the B&B.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,
Welcome to B&B. It is an excellent place and we look forward to your future contributions.

Either the C&E best badger or SR208 should be an excellent performer for you and definitely hold you over until the forum brush is available.
 
Guys:

I ordered a C&E today.

My task now ( and I've decided to accept it) is to get a straight razor.

- Bob
 
JAG said:
My task now ( and I've decided to accept it) is to get a straight razor.
:eek6:

Good on you for being so decisive. When I first started, it took forever to decide which razor/brush/cream to get.
 
Yep- good to get started and not dick around second-guessing and asking everybody for their opinion. I say that only because it's your FIRST brush. Get started and practicing and enjoying, shaving, etc. BUT THEN...

After you've been doing this a few weeks/month(s) it's not unreasonable to become a connoisseur of questions, minutiae, and all of our opinions! Well, it may be unreasonable but we all do it, so prepare yourself. You'll see, the next brush you acquire (after the B&B brush) you'll agonize for days, even weeks over which one to get. And it'll either be a Saville Row or a Simpson... Just a prediction.

In the meantime, enjoy your C/E brush, and enjoy getting into this way of life. Sounds like you've officially taken the plunge. Welcome.
 
Bob,

I can't comment on the CE brush, since i don't have it; can you imagine, so many brushes and not a CE brush??

But, of course, it's an Edwin Jagger made brush, and i do have one brush from EJ; and this is simply a good all purpose brush; give yourself the time to use it, day after day, before you walk into the realms of SBAD, but perhaps you won't. This brush will serve you for years to come. And when doubts slip into your mind ( "do i need another brush? not really , but then again how would another brush perform??" etcetera) then step into the world of Savile Row brushes; but of course not before X-mas this year...:wink:

Peter
 
Guys:

I had my first shave this morning with the C&E. It was my first shave with a brush of any kind. Tremendous!

One thought that went through my mind was: If those guys prefer brushes bigger than this they must have awfully big heads! :smile:

- Bob
 
JAG said:
Guys:

I had my first shave this morning with the C&E. It was my first shave with a brush of any kind. Tremendous!

One thought that went through my mind was: If those guys prefer brushes bigger than this they must have awfully big heads! :smile:

- Bob

I resemble that remark:shaving:

Actually large or small satifies me. The operative word is variety.
 
JAG said:
Guys:

I had my first shave this morning with the C&E. It was my first shave with a brush of any kind. Tremendous!

One thought that went through my mind was: If those guys prefer brushes bigger than this they must have awfully big heads! :smile:

- Bob
Speaking of heads and the C&E Badger...

I'm still waiting for my Merkur HD from Classicshaving.com but that didn't stop me from going out and getting a few things. First I was going to order the C&E Badger brush but decided to get out and enjoy the Sun, so I went to the local C&E and bought one. While there I couldn't resist the Almond Shave Cream since it had some glowing reviews here on the board.

Instead of letting it all just sit all alone on a shelf, I realised I haven't shaved my head for 3 days. I used the brush, first time I have ever used one, and the Almond cream with my Mach3 after a hot towel soak on my head. The Mach3 always gives a good shave on the head, but the shave was even better with brush and cream. I actually wanted to slow down and take my time to do 2 lathers. It feels great and is perhaps the closest non irritating shaves I've had on my head yet.
 
Top Bottom