What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Ok so I am new to the whole OC obsession, so here is what I have.....
View attachment 370032
$IMG_1399.jpg
View attachment 370035

And to be honest with you not even really sure what they are other than Gillettes:scared:. I know two of them are long combs buts thats about all, so any info you all could pass along would be great.

So now for the razors, obviously three of them still need cleaning up, so when thats done where should I begin? I really want to know what you OC guys rave about.

Also once I start using these beauties will I be accepted into the brotherhood?

Thanks everyone,
Paul

Paul - you definitely have some open combs, so welcome to BOTOC!

I'd say that you have 3 Gillette News, possibly all long combs (I can't tell the comb lengths on some of them) - the ones with the horizontal ridge in the baseplate where the handle screws in. The other 2 look like Old Types? Not sure.

4 ball end handles, 1 bar handle.

Ok so I am new to the whole OC obsession, so here is what I have.....
View attachment 370032
View attachment 370033
View attachment 370035

And to be honest with you not even really sure what they are other than Gillettes:scared:. I know two of them are long combs buts thats about all, so any info you all could pass along would be great.

So now for the razors, obviously three of them still need cleaning up, so when thats done where should I begin? I really want to know what you OC guys rave about.

Also once I start using these beauties will I be accepted into the brotherhood?

Thanks everyone,
Paul

Here ya go
$badgeda42b3a55c1e513267a179c3e23d092ae1434100.jpg

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Paul - you definitely have some open combs, so welcome to BOTOC!

I'd say that you have 3 Gillette News, possibly all long combs (I can't tell the comb lengths on some of them) - the ones with the horizontal ridge in the baseplate where the handle screws in. The other 2 look like Old Types? Not sure.

4 ball end handles, 1 bar handle.

Good eye, Teppanyaki; and the one on the right is a short comb. Nice bunch of Gillette 3 piece razors!

Well, I have gone back to giving my Canadian New another try this week. Might use it for most if not all of October since it looks to be Open Comb October. I did temporarily switch out the ball end handle for the longer handle that came with my Maggard razor, the only problem is that the design of the new and the width of the end of the handle are not too compatible. It seems to tighten down fairly good it is just the handle is tightening to that bar that runs the length of the base plate in the center rather than being flush against the base plate where that bar is missing, will this be an issue in the future or is it ok to use my razor like this? I like the New as it seems to be a mild razor (especially with the longer handle), I just want to know if it is safe to use it this way.

Well, I have gone back to giving my Canadian New another try this week. Might use it for most if not all of October since it looks to be Open Comb October. I did temporarily switch out the ball end handle for the longer handle that came with my Maggard razor, the only problem is that the design of the new and the width of the end of the handle are not too compatible. It seems to tighten down fairly good it is just the handle is tightening to that bar that runs the length of the base plate in the center rather than being flush against the base plate where that bar is missing, will this be an issue in the future or is it ok to use my razor like this? I like the New as it seems to be a mild razor (especially with the longer handle), I just want to know if it is safe to use it this way.

Open comb October? Really? Guess I'm in!

That blasted ridge that makes it so many handles don't quite fit is the one thing I hate about US made News. Some models have a slightly wider recess than others (I have read 8 vs 10 mm), so a different US New might fit. If the blade seats properly, then you're probably fine. I ended up buying a British New as the baseplate is flat and accepts any handle, and as it turns out it is a little more forgiving to boot.

Other options - sometimes a Tech fat handle (my current favorite DE handle) fits, or a Sabi T1/T2 (Matador Toro Mastiff handle, same thing). Or a UFO.

That blasted ridge that makes it so many handles don't quite fit is the one thing I hate about US made News. Some models have a slightly wider recess than others (I have read 8 vs 10 mm), so a different US New might fit. If the blade seats properly, then you're probably fine. I ended up buying a British New as the baseplate is flat and accepts any handle, and as it turns out it is a little more forgiving to boot.

Other options - sometimes a Tech fat handle (my current favorite DE handle) fits, or a Sabi T1/T2 (Matador Toro Mastiff handle, same thing). Or a UFO.
My Made In England NEW LC has a similar issue with the ridge/handle, except that when I use a RiMei handle, the base plate stays loose and wobbles around until
I put a blade in, then the extra thickness means the whole thing tightens up just right.
I'd worried this might be a problem, but in practice it all works fine.
That RiMei handle is 103mm long, so with a bit of lead shot and epoxy in it, the extra length makes that NEW even more elegant, if such a thing were possible :biggrin1:

Finally used the senator I picked up over labor day. Popped in a feather and got an excellent shave. I've always been a bit leery of feathers but I jumped right on in. it really was a great shave. itsfunnybecause Ihave a Sheraton that I've not had a lot of success with.maybe my technique is improving. maybe it was the vampire shave. is there a difference between the Sheraton and senator?

Top Bottom