What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Gave a first try to the combination of my Tradere and a Super Iridium today. Did a basic three pass shave (W/X/A) without bothering to touch up, since I wasn't even leaving the house today I figured I could slack off a bit. Bit early to call it definitive, but it's looking like a great combination! Very comfortable shave, and I think if I'd done a little touching up, I would have a very nice DFS. Looking forward to seeing how this combo performs while the blade lasts (I'm stingy with the SI's, cause they're pricey).

Just got my tradere today. Got a med prep loaded and ready to go! Heres a pic of my new razor. I am very eager to see how it compares to my beloved R41.
$tradere SOTD.jpg

Gave a first try to the combination of my Tradere and a Super Iridium today. Did a basic three pass shave (W/X/A) without bothering to touch up, since I wasn't even leaving the house today I figured I could slack off a bit. Bit early to call it definitive, but it's looking like a great combination! Very comfortable shave, and I think if I'd done a little touching up, I would have a very nice DFS. Looking forward to seeing how this combo performs while the blade lasts (I'm stingy with the SI's, cause they're pricey).

Just got my tradere today. Got a med prep loaded and ready to go! Heres a pic of my new razor. I am very eager to see how it compares to my beloved R41.
View attachment 251513

Two more brothers with Traderes....they are getting alot of BOTOC love.....one day I will get one...for now...I will sit in envy of y'all.

Can't wait to hear shaving impressions from you both after a week or so with these!!

Thanks Alex! I will be spending the day with my furry children this year....first fathers day is 21 years spent without my daughter....not happy...but she moved to Ohio....:mad3:
Oh, I feel bad for ya, that must be hard on your heart not to have her near. I hat hearbreaks....i miss my niece and she lives just 35 minutes away in Mt.Laurel NJ.

Well, my Fatip came today.Gotta love Saturday mail delivery! I'm a morning shaver so I guess I'll wait. I must confess though at first glance I'm not impressed. This may give the best shave I've ever had which after all is the only test of a razor that matters, but . . . the sloppy way that the handle threads onto the head is sub par. It does tighten up satisfactorily but you know right off this is no EJ or Merkur. I'm given to understand that trying to order a handle that fits more securely is rather hit or miss. The finish, nickel in this case is fine however there are tool marks on the ends of the cap under the plating. I find the fit & finish over all so be somewhat below the $12 Chinese TTO's found on eBay. If a Lord L6 were an aggressive OC . . . I don't know guys. If only it felt more like a quality tool. I may have to get a Tradere just to look at while I shave with the Fatip. I'll give it a try tomorrow though. I'm in the mood for some Tabac served up on a Shavemac silvertip and a Gillette Yellow. I'll finish with some Barbasol Pacific Rush for that nice menthol burn.
All the best from N.E. Alabama
The Fatips are a step below the Joris...Try a Joris and you will be hooked

Evening everyone,

Reporting back on my 1st shave with my pif old type gillette, again thank you very much Phil. I will tell you right away that it is in my top two razors allong with my 1936 aristocrat. I loaded it up with a 3 shave old feather blade and my soap was some derby cream. I didnt shave yesterday in order to give this razor a good test drive.

The technique is very easy to find and removing my coars beard was very easy. I did 3 passes and I didnt even have to do some buffing. I normally have to do some buffing under my jawline with my other razors. All in all I am extremely impressed with my shave today and will probably buy more old type razors because of this. Today if i had to choose a razor to go on a island it would be this one because i would not be scared of breaking the mechanics of the tto on my oc aristocrat but the handle cracks so id need another handle.

View attachment 251499
great review, I am sure Gilligan will be there to shave with u:001_tongu

Well, my Fatip came today.Gotta love Saturday mail delivery! I'm a morning shaver so I guess I'll wait. I must confess though at first glance I'm not impressed. This may give the best shave I've ever had which after all is the only test of a razor that matters, but . . . the sloppy way that the handle threads onto the head is sub par. It does tighten up satisfactorily but you know right off this is no EJ or Merkur. I'm given to understand that trying to order a handle that fits more securely is rather hit or miss. The finish, nickel in this case is fine however there are tool marks on the ends of the cap under the plating. I find the fit & finish over all so be somewhat below the $12 Chinese TTO's found on eBay. If a Lord L6 were an aggressive OC . . . I don't know guys. If only it felt more like a quality tool. I may have to get a Tradere just to look at while I shave with the Fatip. I'll give it a try tomorrow though. I'm in the mood for some Tabac served up on a Shavemac silvertip and a Gillette Yellow. I'll finish with some Barbasol Pacific Rush for that nice menthol burn.
All the best from N.E. Alabama

I think if you've followed any of the Fatip threads, or even in here, you would read some pretty varied differences on quality...some seem to be near perfect...others are not....there QC it lacking......

What the majority of Fatip owners don't complain about is the quality of the shave.....those that love the Fatip....really love the Fatip...for me...it's in my top two razors...down the road, I will get the Joris when funds allow.

I'm not a huge fan of the Gillette Yellow in either the R41 or the Fatip....find them to harsh....the SI's and Blacks works great...the Astras Sp have been working for me too!

I think if you've followed any of the Fatip threads, or even in here, you would read some pretty varied differences on quality...some seem to be near perfect...others are not....there QC it lacking......

What the majority of Fatip owners don't complain about is the quality of the shave.....those that love the Fatip....really love the Fatip...for me...it's in my top two razors...down the road, I will get the Joris when funds allow.

I'm not a huge fan of the Gillette Yellow in either the R41 or the Fatip....find them to harsh....the SI's and Blacks works great...the Astras Sp have been working for me too!

I,ve got a stupid question is a fatip a new production or vintage razor im guessing its the same head as a Joris but who makes these fatips? Where do you buy one?

Two more brothers with Traderes....they are getting alot of BOTOC love.....one day I will get one...for now...I will sit in envy of y'all.

Can't wait to hear shaving impressions from you both after a week or so with these!!

Had it about a week so far, and I'm really liking it, though I'm still cycling through my blades to find which is the best negotiator between the razor and my face. Astra SS, Feather, and Super Iridium seem to be pretty great with it so far, and Personna lab/meds are definitely for other razors only. Still have a bunch to go through from past samplers and such: Astra SP, Shark SC, Kai, a couple 7 O'clocks, likely others I forgot already, heh.

Ken, just stick a heavy handle on your Fitip and WHAMO..its a Joris:001_tt1:

I,ve got a stupid question is a fatip a new production or vintage razor im guessing its the same head as a Joris but who makes these fatips? Where do you buy one?

Fatips come from various distributors http://www.italianshavingshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=84_83&products_id=123&language=en , they are modern not vintage made by Italian company. The Muel-Pinsel r89 and Joris have the head.

Not to take anything from Alex's answer, but there may be additional models of the Fatip availale from Shaving.ie and Maguire's Barbershop.

Had it about a week so far, and I'm really liking it, though I'm still cycling through my blades to find which is the best negotiator between the razor and my face. Astra SS, Feather, and Super Iridium seem to be pretty great with it so far, and Personna lab/meds are definitely for other razors only. Still have a bunch to go through from past samplers and such: Astra SP, Shark SC, Kai, a couple 7 O'clocks, likely others I forgot already, heh.

Personna Med/labs DON'T work for me either...nor does the Israeli 'crystal" Personnas...but the Red Israeli Personna are great!...the 7 O'clock Blacks works well and the SI's.....and lately the Astra SP have been a steady performer......used a Brazilian Gillette thin today....very nice!

Top Bottom