What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Hi,

Did someone say OC plus Slant?

Fasan Red Dot Double Slants. Both with Gillette handles in place of their stock plastic ones. :)

Stan

Nice! I was admiring your Fasans back in OCtober. I have the PAA Fasan-inspired PBOCS. Fun razor, but not a daily driver for me. Haven’t had a chance to try a Fasan yet.

Hi,

The PAA is a clone of the Fasan Single Slant, so I would expect a difference. One of these days, I ought to pick up a PAA and find out. :)

The one with the metal top cap is my daily driver. I have seven OCs, but rarely use any other. My grandfather's Old Type Thin Cap is my #2. I use it at least twice a month on the 1st and the 15th, which are my blade change days.

Stan

Hi,

The PAA is a clone of the Fasan Single Slant, so I would expect a difference. One of these days, I ought to pick up a PAA and find out. :)

The one with the metal top cap is my daily driver. I have seven OCs, but rarely use any other. My grandfather's Old Type Thin Cap is my #2. I use it at least twice a month on the 1st and the 15th, which are my blade change days.

Stan

My grandfather’s Old Type was my major player, in rotation with a Merkur 36 slant, for most of my adult life. I might have as many shaves with it as granddad did. I only recently found time to try the pleasure side of wet shaving, so I don’t really know much about vintage razors yet.

If you want to borrow the PBOCS, Stan, just PM me. I have some higher priority razors in my rotation right now. I’ll even sanitize it.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Very nice DR. Yours appears to be a very nice example of of one.
I have Brad Sears Arley Protype (named after my twin brother)...Wonderful brushes indeed!
(Mine is pictured here)
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is a GREAT looking brush and thank you kindly! The DR was a BIN on my Birthday last year! It does have one bent tooth (doesn't affect the shave and I was told not to try fix by Cap) but is crack free and seems to have almost all of the silver intact. It's a marvelous shaver!

Just trying to keep up with you, Mike! :D

My grandfather’s Old Type was my major player, in rotation with a Merkur 36 slant, for most of my adult life. I might have as many shaves with it as granddad did. I only recently found time to try the pleasure side of wet shaving, so I don’t really know much about vintage razors yet.

If you want to borrow the PBOCS, Stan, just PM me. I have some higher priority razors in my rotation right now. I’ll even sanitize it.

Hi,

Wow! Very generous offer! I thank you, but I think I shall just order one pretty soon. :)

I have to say that my particular OT is the best when it comes to the shave. It tends to irritate, though. If it didn't, I would use it daily. The Fasan is 95% of the OT yet does not irritate. So, that is why it is my daily driver. None of the others do nearly as well.

Stan

SOTD

Razor: Gillette NEW LC - first shave for me *
Blade: Astra SP - broken in, time to flip it
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: BOSC Special Reserve X-Mas *
Splash: home brew Hop Hazel Husker, also first shave for it *

6425F032-EFB1-45FA-A408-969CD83B4747.jpeg

Careful DFS with the new to me vintage NEW Gillette. Saved another bottle from the recycling. I could get used to this ‘splash’ thing...

* = I wouldn’t be enjoying this part of my shave if it wasn’t for the people who make B&B great. With an attitude of gratitude, thanks!

Fellow brothers of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb and Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies... I have completed first shave using open a Gillette "New". While it did not go as planned (weepers and gushers), I am not giving up. Someday I hope to within the Brotherhood BOTOC.

This is what I'm working with fellas

Attachments

• 20181105_171014.jpg
    20181105_171014.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181105_171032.jpg
    20181105_171032.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 19
This is what I'm working with fellas

I can see why you want to baby that set! Beautiful! My many decades of shaving with an Old Type and some recent practice with a Goodwill may have given me some advantage in the first shave with my 'new' NEW. Also, I started the NEW with a broken in blade. I'm sure you'll train yours quickly.

nikonNUT

Trying the scores from the flea market yesterday. I really like the ABC and the "Veg" is good stuff! Best $10.00 I've spent in a while!

Great shave today with the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition, Astra SP #9; Mitchell's Wool Fat. Lijun 24mm knot badger brush; RSC balm to moisturise and a splash of TfOBS No. 74 Collection to finish.
IMG_1134b.JPG

Thanks Tanuki! I was "reinacting" the shave, and I think I totally screwed up the angle on my neck area! WAY too vertical which is why I ended up digging too deep!! Next time I'll try more horizontal (handle butt end slightly higher). Sound right?

Fellow Brothers within the Brotherhood of The Open Comb,
Unless there are no objections, I would like to seek approval to join the Brotherhood. As some of you may know, I am already committed (mandatory commitment) to BOSC. I trust this will not adversely affect my petition to this Brotherhood? For what it's worth, I am also a member of BWBOGPABB.

Unless there are no objections, I would like to seek approval to join the Brotherhood. As some of you may know, I am already committed (mandatory commitment) to BOSC. I trust this will not adversely affect my petition to this Brotherhood? For what it's worth, I am also a member of BWBOGPABB.
As the Original poster and Founder of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb, Welcome brother! And feel free to add BOTOC to your signature if you desire!

BWBOGPABB....???

Ya got me!

Fantastic!! Okay I will add BOTOC and call it official! Thanks.
I'll probably take out BWBOGPABB. I don't think it's real either anymore. Someone told me it meant Brother WITHIN Brotherhood Of Gold Plated And Bare Brass.

nikonNUT

Finally getting to give this set a try. THBs new dual lye base is stupid slick and the scent (mixed 1:1) is pretty nice!

New razor day!!! Just received my Above the tie Atlas M2!

I purchased this razor based upon feedback from my twin brother who has had several razors from Stan, and gave him a shining review.

Upon opening my package, I was greated by nice packaging, as well as a pack of Astra blades included in the box. Overall presentation is very good. The razor has a nice heft, and an exceptional build quality. I LOVE the matte/satin finish of this model.

I loaded this with my "go to blade" a Supermax Blue Diamond. I used Fine Lavender shave soap loaded onto a PAA Starcraft brush and wow...

For their mildest offering I found this razor to be extremely efficient. For my face, I would not want a more aggressive razor. I had both great blade feel, as well as audible feedback. Within 2 passes, I attained a BBS shave.

I would highly recommend this razor for anyone who wants an exceptional razor, of a superior build quality, that is truly a razor worthy of passing onto your heirs.
proxy.php

Just had my first shave with an open comb - a Merkur 15c - it was a lot milder razor than I was expecting but it gave a very smooth and close shave - looking forward to trying something a bit more efficient maybe

Top Bottom