What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

New Deluxe/Ikon B1 Deluxe
proxy.php

Have been getting some use out of my Gillette NEW short combs lately. Still looking for the right type of blade, might try something sharper than the Personna I’ve been running.

I to used a Personna PC in my "New OC Long". IMHO found that it wasn't as sharp as an astra, which is what I should have used with week old whiskers. Still was able to acquire a DFS, almost BBS. But with much awareness, and must take time not to rip ones face off. Not as smooth as I would expect. Will see if second outing is any smoother.

I was lucky enough to have the chance to test out a new OC "C" plate from Karve.
I too have fairly sensitive skin and the fewer passes and lesser contact with brass the better.

IMG-20181229-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20181229-WA0001.jpg

My buddy is taking the pics and I can't wait to try it out myself.

I promised Chris that I'll get as many people to test it out so I guess more than a few of my male relatives are going to be his guinea pig lol.

I was lucky enough to have the chance to test out a new OC "C" plate from Karve.
I too have fairly sensitive skin and the fewer passes and lesser contact with brass the better.

View attachment 938913 View attachment 938915

My buddy is taking the pics and I can't wait to try it out myself.

I promised Chris that I'll get as many people to test it out so I guess more than a few of my male relatives are going to be his guinea pig lol.

Jealous!!! Where do I get on the beta list for OC ‘C’ and ‘D’ plates? My skin loves brass!

Jealous!!! Where do I get on the beta list for OC ‘C’ and ‘D’ plates? My skin loves brass!

Honestly I'm not sure as it was sheer dumb luck that I got the chance to test them.

I was in the process of getting 2 razors and was discussing w Chris bout what should work for my buddy the issues of brass allergies etc, etc and I so happened to see a new thread about OC plates from Karve.

So I asked him what was this new OC design he's working on since he also mention SS version he's creating and he kindly offered to let me give it a go provided I give him feedback on it.

I said yes of course n that was that.

Have been getting some use out of my Gillette NEW short combs lately. Still looking for the right type of blade, might try something sharper than the Personna I’ve been running.

Used that Personna the second time in my first outing of my newly acquired Goodwill #160. Last use of the personna, but definitely impressed with the GW. Think I will try an Astra next time.

Used that Personna the second time in my first outing of my newly acquired Goodwill #160. Last use of the personna, but definitely impressed with the GW. Think I will try an Astra next time.

Gave the current Personna a last chance in my Merkur 15C using my very best performing soap. Then defamed it and chucked it into the blade graveyard. I’ll give the rest of that tuck to my eldest son. I’m generous that way.

I do have solid respect for my Goodwill. I had a bit of prejudice when I saw that the design (my Goodwill at least) relies on the blade corner notches to take the slop out of the baseplate fit. But it really shaves well! I should probably have some sort of serious shave off between the Old Type, NEW LC, NEW SC, and Goodwill. Instead I’m sure I’ll continue to let mood and whimsy lead me around the razor collection.

Enjoy your Goodwill #160! With an Astra! :thumbup1:

Gave the current Personna a last chance in my Merkur 15C using my very best performing soap. Then defamed it and chucked it into the blade graveyard. I’ll give the rest of that tuck to my eldest son. I’m generous that way.

I do have solid respect for my Goodwill. I had a bit of prejudice when I saw that the design (my Goodwill at least) relies on the blade corner notches to take the slop out of the baseplate fit. But it really shaves well! I should probably have some sort of serious shave off between the Old Type, NEW LC, NEW SC, and Goodwill. Instead I’m sure I’ll continue to let mood and whimsy lead me around the razor collection.

Enjoy your Goodwill #160! With an Astra! :thumbup1:

Have always allowed mood to decide when choosing which razor to use. I usually don't shave everyday, maybe every other day, maybe a week. What ever the mood. Didn't pay any attention to the way the blade aligned, but will look at that now that you mentioned it. Let me know how the difference between the Long and the short of it works 0ut.:shaving:

I’m no expert. As far as the combs go, not much. Here are pics of two of my razors:
NEW long comb L, Goodwill R (#160 I guess)

E2AF034B-4EE7-4CA7-9E36-9DD3E5ACB25C.jpeg

Base plates from bottom:

A8FB3B90-B0FE-44CE-BC49-F22D7B149280.jpeg

NEW cap opened:

B9A1BDDE-CE76-41CA-9100-FABBB3C485C0.jpeg

Goodwill cap opened:

9DABF842-0664-4266-B17C-204DCE70D931.jpeg

The Goodwill has an oversized hole in the baseplate. Blade alignment takes the jiggle out of the head when both those baseplate diamonds and the cap corner tabs engage the blade tightly.The NEW LC with that long cap alignment bar and baseplate groove design is pretty tight as soon as it engages. In both designs I miss the longish alignment pins of the Old Type that allow me to open the head pretty wide mid-shave for a good rinse, without the blade disengaging.

The razors (also my NEW short comb and Old Type) all seem to have similar shaving characteristics. That probably means I’m not very discerning. :001_rolle Or maybe Gillette was so wildly successful that changes needed to be minimal.

I’m no expert. As far as the combs go, not much. Here are pics of two of my razors:

View attachment 940023

Base plates from bottom:

View attachment 940022

NEW cap opened:

View attachment 940020

Goodwill cap opened:

View attachment 940021

The Goodwill has an oversized hole in the baseplate. Blade alignment takes the jiggle out of the head when both those baseplate diamonds and the cap corner tabs engage the blade tightly.The NEW LC with that long cap alignment bar and baseplate groove design is pretty tight as soon as it engages. In both designs I miss the longish alignment pins of the Old Type that allow me to open the head pretty wide mid-shave for a good rinse, without the blade disengaging.

The razors (also my NEW short comb and Old Type) all seem to have similar shaving characteristics. That probably means I’m not very discerning. :001_rolle Or maybe Gillette was so wildly successful that changes needed to be minimal.

My turn to be jealous those are beautiful and rare!

View attachment 940023

Base plates from bottom:

View attachment 940022

NEW cap opened:

View attachment 940020

Goodwill cap opened:

View attachment 940021

Nicer looking than mine. Tried the Astra SP with the GW, 2 day old beard. BBS shave, and definitely much smoother. I almost think that a feather may do even better. Thanks for the great Pics. and explanation. I didn't notice the hole size difference. I guess I did see the difference looking at the ends of the cap and base plate, but I was thinking there was no difference in the long combs themselves. Could be a little difference in the way they shave because of the cap differences tho. Now will have to compare my red and black SC to the LC. :a11: :001_302:

My Goodwill looks good due to a Back Roads Gold re-plate. I don’t think the re-plate affects the shave, just makes me a little more careful handling it. I will continue to look for any shave quality differences between the GW, LC, SC, and Old Type. Those pre-Tech vintage Gillettes all work well for me.

Top Bottom