What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

New razor day!!! Just received my Above the tie Atlas M2!

I purchased this razor based upon feedback from my twin brother who has had several razors from Stan, and gave him a shining review.

Upon opening my package, I was greated by nice packaging, as well as a pack of Astra blades included in the box. Overall presentation is very good. The razor has a nice heft, and an exceptional build quality. I LOVE the matte/satin finish of this model.

I loaded this with my "go to blade" a Supermax Blue Diamond. I used Fine Lavender shave soap loaded onto a PAA Starcraft brush and wow...

For their mildest offering I found this razor to be extremely efficient. For my face, I would not want a more aggressive razor. I had both great blade feel, as well as audible feedback. Within 2 passes, I attained a BBS shave.

I would highly recommend this razor for anyone who wants an exceptional razor, of a superior build quality, that is truly a razor worthy of passing onto your heirs.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great first shave with the ATT Atlas M2.

New razor day!!! Just received my Above the tie Atlas M2!

I purchased this razor based upon feedback from my twin brother who has had several razors from Stan, and gave him a shining review.

Upon opening my package, I was greated by nice packaging, as well as a pack of Astra blades included in the box. Overall presentation is very good. The razor has a nice heft, and an exceptional build quality. I LOVE the matte/satin finish of this model.

I loaded this with my "go to blade" a Supermax Blue Diamond. I used Fine Lavender shave soap loaded onto a PAA Starcraft brush and wow...

For their mildest offering I found this razor to be extremely efficient. For my face, I would not want a more aggressive razor. I had both great blade feel, as well as audible feedback. Within 2 passes, I attained a BBS shave.

I would highly recommend this razor for anyone who wants an exceptional razor, of a superior build quality, that is truly a razor worthy of passing onto your heirs.
proxy.php

This post got me onto the ATT website, thinking about more OC baseplates. Inventories seem to be depleted. I hope that is just a sign of success and that ATT will be back in stock again!

This post got me onto the ATT website, thinking about more OC baseplates. Inventories seem to be depleted. I hope that is just a sign of success and that ATT will be back in stock again!

OK, now I know that everybody but me knew ATT had a mega sale. I gotta stop entertaining over the holidays and focus on razor shopping!

You are not alone, i so wanted a slant, but at the time i heard of their sale, they were all gone. :a52:

I like my ATT S2 (OC) slant head. I had heard the current version might be an update and wanted to check that out. I like my R2 head as well, but M2 might be a daily driver. Sad now.. :crying: (or not, I'm completely backlogged on razors).

OK, I'm just going to say it. I have 'too many' (according to someone) currently available average-priced and cheap ($10< x < $75) DE razors (OCs and slants for the most part), a fair selection of pre-WW2 OC Gillettes (plus a Superspeed), and just a couple higher end DE razors/heads. The shaving experience across the spectrum is pretty similar (not the R41 or the PBOCS!). I could tweak blade selection and little details of my technique and be happy shaving regularly with almost any of them

But I do enjoy well made, close tolerance tools and am glad to extend that to my shaving tools. ATT rocks the 'thoughtfully designed, very well-built, non-baroque, not Zamak' domain of OC and slant DErazorspace! But their handles are too fat. For me. YMMV.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
You mean, it doesn't actually smell of the dead then? :001_unsur :letterk1: :laugh:

Not at all :D Think a nice fougere with the addition of leather, wood, and booze! And I never though of menthol as a scent note but it really makes the A/S pop! I really hope I can score a matching EdT!

Yep! They had a 50% sale!!! Which made my new razor an exceptional value!

Shave of the Day Monday, December 3, 2018

Razor: Delta Echo refurb Gillette Long Comb New
Blade: Tweet Platinum
Brush: Envy Shave 24mm Gen 5 Black Wolf Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green Tea And Oat
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

full

A wonderful combo...

SOTD

Razorock Old Type with Razorock Barberpole Handle; loaded with a Supermax Super Platinum blade.

TOBS Sandalwood
FINE Santal Absolut AS
PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic brush
proxy.php

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Nice shave but the Rotbart beat me up bad. I couldn't get any blade feel at all and I think I tried to hard. At least it looks nice! I guess I really have become a Bulldog snob... :D

Have been using my Vintage Gillette New LC lately. And have to many to mention OC. Was wondering if I qualify to join in on the club? Am attempting to set up picks for future posts.

Have been using my Vintage Gillette New LC lately. And have to many to mention OC. Was wondering if I qualify to join in on the club? Am attempting to set up picks for future posts.

Welcome Go-T! Have OC, can post. I’m thinking it’s a little quiet around here - holiday times.

OC SOTD
New-to-me NEW SC rhodium re-plate
Voskhod
Cella mug lathered w/ Semogue 1250

455A8801-7BAA-4754-9663-EFAD56F1396C.jpeg

The NEW SC is easily fitting into the rotation. Needed an effortless shave today. Got it!

Welcome Go-T! Have OC, can post. I’m thinking it’s a little quiet around here - holiday times.

OC SOTD
New-to-me NEW SC rhodium re-plate
Voskhod
Cella mug lathered w/ Semogue 1250

View attachment 936334

The NEW SC is easily fitting into the rotation. Needed an effortless shave today. Got it!

Nice, Did you have it Plated, or was it already done when you got it? Is that what I call a Red and Black? I have one that looks just like that. Is the blade bed sloped? If it is it looks just like the one I have. I got it a while back but haven't had the chance to clean it up or use it yet of course. Mine is gold plate.
How is the VOSKHOD blade? Yes quiet on the Holiday times. Have Open comb will Shave. :2guns::kyle1:

Nice, Did you have it Plated, or was it already done when you got it? Is that what I call a Red and Black? I have one that looks just like that. Is the blade bed sloped? If it is it looks just like the one I have. I got it a while back but haven't had the chance to clean it up or use it yet of course. Mine is gold plate.
How is the VOSKHOD blade? Yes quiet on the Holiday times. Have Open comb will Shave. :2guns::kyle1:

It was plated when I got it. No case or any other packaging. I am not very informed about vintage Gillettes. The blade bed is sloped. It has subtle differences from my other SC and all my other common bar handles. Pictures:
8D31CBEA-9F46-4337-9E51-935A5958E66B.jpeg

9DB87A2D-F6E7-4883-98A9-A3AE62A3E983.jpeg

The plated handle is about 1mm short and has a noticeably narrower threaded tip section. The base plate receiver is milled narrower to match. Most base plate features seem just slightly smaller and smoother than my other NEW SC and LC teeth etc. A result of prepping/buffing for the plating?

The Voskhod is working well for me. I am just starting through my first buy of different blades. My first 4 decades of vintage Gillette shaving involved grabbing whatever was in stock at the supermarket, popping them into my Old Type, and using them way past ‘blunt’. So I’m not yet a judge of blades, but I’m working on it.

It was plated when I got it. No case or any other packaging. I am not very informed about vintage Gillettes. The blade bed is sloped. It has subtle differences from my other SC and all my other common bar handles. Pictures:
View attachment 936464
View attachment 936465

The plated handle is about 1mm short and has a noticeably narrower threaded tip section. The base plate receiver is milled narrower to match. Most base plate features seem just slightly smaller and smoother than my other NEW SC and LC teeth etc. A result of prepping/buffing for the plating?

The Voskhod is working well for me. I am just starting through my first buy of different blades. My first 4 decades of vintage Gillette shaving involved grabbing whatever was in stock at the supermarket, popping them into my Old Type, and using them way past ‘blunt’. So I’m not yet a judge of blades, but I’m working on it.
To be a collector of the Gillette New is truly a curse. You're never done it seems.

View attachment 936464
View attachment 936465

Nice Pics. Great explanation, Didn't realize there were differences in the sc razors. I'm still working on setting up some pics to share, hopefully soon.
I to use my blades to long, just my nature. After all these years still playing with different pre shave approaches.
I have a sample pack I picked up cheap on E-bay, and am experimenting with the different blades. Didn't realize there was so much difference in them.

Top Bottom