What's new

British Aristocrat In Unique Case: Which model number is this?

It does not have a raised baseplate like the Aristocrat #16, but rather it looks and feels exactly like the #22 / #66 as mentioned in my original post. Here are some pictures with my #66 razor (on the left) and this unknown aristocrat (on the right) side by side:

View attachment 306743
The one on the right has a Thinner Neck ? or does it look that way in the picture? Collar looks alot thinner :eek:)

Edit, The whole handle looks alot Thinner, The one on the Right that is, Doesn't it seem that way ?

Last edited:
Yeah, got me stumped - but my mind is mush at the moment!

Cleared up now Mark?! And would you be able to check your magical cupboard to see if you have a similar set?:biggrin1:

Assuming that the set goes together, my first thought when I saw this thread was that it was a post-war Aristocrat in a left-over pre-war case. The ad for the leather-cased #15 might support that.

It might be good if the OP went back to ebay to see if the seller was a possibly a razor collector or not (under see other items). That might tell us something.

The seller is not a razor collector, but rather a seller of all sorts of vintage items. Having said that, I'm going to try my luck with the seller to see if I can get far in finding the provenance of this set!

Love that case, looks like my No.20 outer case except its a little different texture on the leather,

I still dare to say that the No.19 And No. 20 are Two Different Color cases, Just wait till we go to a show and meet up one of these day's ill show you :tongue_sm Sorry i got of topic there :eek:/ Porter knows what im talking about :lol:

Thekinge, you did good, Excellent Find for sure, Bravo well done :thumbup:

Thank you Vargas. You still owe us a "show & tell" of your collection!

The one on the right has a Thinner Neck ? or does it look that way in the picture? Collar looks alot thinner :eek:)

Edit, The whole handle looks alot Thinner, The one on the Right that is, Doesn't it seem that way ?

It's just an optical illusion Vargas. In person, both the razors look alike and the unknown aristocrat is no less thinner than its #66 cousin.

Another British Aristocrat with a similar case (albeit in poor condition) popped up on eBay, but with a twist. While this one has the same leather exterior and the rectangular lines on top of the case (as highlighted by Alex in my Aristocrat's case), the interior of this one has the blue vinyl lining similar to this Aristocrat in Achim's site and the razor itself is similar to the #16 model (mine had the #22 / #66 razor). Here are the pictures from the latest auction:

$baristolc_1.JPG

$baristolc_2.JPG

$baristolc_3.JPG

The case exterior of this set is exactly the same as my razor set . Since there are two different razor sets uncovered with similar burgundy leatherette exterior, I'm guessing that this may have been something like a special run of British Aristocrats with burgundy leatherette exterior. But that's just my uneducated guess and I'd be happy for B&B'ers to chip in with their views!

For the record, I did not bid on or win this set!

I'm the one that bought this razor - I didn't want to say anything until I had it in hand in case the sale fell through. But I've got it now and it's nice. I've yet to polish it up , but it looks like it has a nickel head as well; similar to what "thekinge" has found with his and to what is mentioned in this thread.

$5ojKDXe.jpg

The case:

$U7MQw4H.jpg

Here's an album of pictures.

It weighs 81.7 g according to my scales, which matches the #16. The case, as mentioned above, does look like a leather bound version of the one simply called "1948-1952 Brit Aristocrat". There are a few blades, but by far the most common one is "H1". But there are "Z1" and "A2" (1955) as well.

Is there any known British Aristocrat that has a Nickel head? Have we solved the mystery of both these razors already and I've just missed something?

Congratulations on the score mulligano! Although the case is beat up, the razor looks to be in excellent condition. I'm intrigued that the head in your razor appears to be nickel plated like mine, although yours is a #16 and mine is a #22/ #66. Given the similarities of your & my cases (exterior) and the nickel plated heads, I'm inclined to think this was a production run in the British plant. Albeit, I cannot claim this to be a fact without any evidence to support my theory! Enjoy the razor:thumbup1:

Thanks. I'm chuffed with it. I've given it a clean, but the polish will have to wait until the weekend. There was another possible nickel plated aristo head in a recent thread that I link to above. But since both of ours came in the same unusual covered case (assuming neither is a mismatch) I would tend to agree with you. I would have thought someone else would have come across some before us though!

Love that case, looks like my No.20 outer case except its a little different texture on the leather,

I still dare to say that the No.19 And No. 20 are Two Different Color cases, Just wait till we go to a show and meet up one of these day's ill show you :tongue_sm Sorry i got of topic there :eek:/ Porter knows what im talking about :lol:

Thekinge, you did good, Excellent Find for sure, Bravo well done :thumbup:

Me, too:
$100_2238.jpg
$100_2239.jpg
$100_2240.jpg

Top Bottom