What's new

Brazilian Aristocrat or Mono-Tech - or are they the same?

I received an "IND. BRASILEIRA" razor in today's post, an impulse buy on d'bay, and of course I'm wondering what I bought. :biggrin1: The handle has knurling typical of a Flare Tip, but the knob is not flared. The pic looks like the horizontal grooves don't run completely around the handle, but they do - lighting is the culprit. The razor weighs 55g.

proxy.php

It has a US-style date code "I 3" on the underside of the blade bank, but did Brazil use the same date coding scheme as the US? If yes, 1963. It also carries PAT. NO. 36057 under the head:
proxy.php

mr-razor.com has a 1956 Brazilian example ID'd as an Aristocrat, complete with a case that says "Aristocrat" in the headliner, but the instruction sheet in the same listing is titled "Mono-TECH". The same patent number is shown, but no weight is declared.
proxy.php

The next example Achim shows is not until 1973, similar handle and knurling, but no patent number stamped - this example is ID'd as a Mono-Tech:
proxy.php

Mine is dated about half-way in between - Aristocrat, Mono-Tech, or is there really no difference?

I think the only difference is the plating and the case. Gold = Aristocrat, Nickel = Mono-Tech, and they just used the same instruction sheet.

Achim also has this 1954 (Z-1) example, if the patent number is there I can't see it:

proxy.php

And there's also examples with the same knurling as the '40s-style US Superspeed, this one has the patent number and the owner says it's from 1955 (A-4), I can't see the code though.

$2nc0xw2.jpg

Here's another Aristocrat set with a slightly different case:

$antigo-estojo-de-barbear-gillette-de-luxe-banhado-a-ouro-720001-MLB20258760882_032015-F.jpg

Cool score. Congrats, Dan. :thumbup1:

I think the only difference is the plating and the case. Gold = Aristocrat, Nickel = Mono-Tech, and they just used the same instruction sheet.

Achim also has this 1954 (Z-1) example, if the patent number is there I can't see it:
<<snip>>
And there's also examples with the same knurling as the '40s-style US Superspeed, this one has the patent number and the owner says it's from 1955 (A-4), I can't see the code though. :thumbup1:

Thanks, Edgar - I had discounted Achim's Z1 example because the knurling is completely different (no longitudinal grooves, only horizontal). I also hadn't thought of Achim's 1956 example as gold-plated, looks more brassy than gold on my monitor (maybe time for new glasses AND a new monitor!). But gold = Aristocrat and nickel = Mono Tech would certainly fall in line with Gillette's gold Slim = Aristocrat marketing plan.

Well, cued it up with a Gillette 7 O'clock Black this morning, and on the first shave with a new razor I got a 3-pass BBS with NO touch-ups. That is a rare occurrence, my friends!

The razor is a bit head-heavy, and I'd prefer the balance to be a bit lower on the handle, but this head is a performer - I'll have to lay it alongside some others to see what it might resemble. Any clues where to start?

Top Bottom