What's new

Brass Gillette, can anyone tell me what year this is?

I just picked this up at an antique store for $15. There are no serial numbers or date codes anywhere on the razor. It was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up, but I've cleaned it with dish soap, rubbing alcohol, baking soda, and then tooth paste and its polished up nicely.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations on cleaning up the case? The felt is coming up and it's pretty rusted.
Any help I can get identifying this would be greatly appreciated!

$g3ZVvbE.jpg

That skinny handle looks like a Otto Roth/Gillette handle from the 30's; it should have a New type head with it though, if it was a Roth/Gillette, or any New.

But the case leads me toward the other direction and this was likely and Old Type Brownie-like from the 20's and someone switched out the handle with a New Type. Shawmut maybe, as it came in gold plate? Hard to tell from just one pic.

Case cleaning: I would start with some adhesive tape rolled around my finger up-side-down. Using the adhesive side, carefully press and raise against the velvet/felt material. This will raise the knap, lift up the dirt and lint, and give you an idea about what you're working with. Do not do this on the logo, as it will come off... at the age of this case. Frankly, interior case cleaning is a bit difficult because the material is so old, has been wet multiple times, and becomes brittle. I once got a case that was so nasty, I thought I would catch something from it. So I just stuck it under the running water and used dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush on it. I now looks like a cleaner version of a beat up case! Oh well... :blush:

The OLD is one of my favourite shavers. Nice nice. I'd just give the inside of the box a clean out with a toothbrush. Depending how fragile the lining is I might give it a gentle wipe with a damp soapy cloth, let it dry, then give it the tooth brush. Then I'd leave it be.

A wonderful shaver, mild and comfortable with a very sharp blade. The case I have with mine is more so rotted than this one, so I just placed it in a small plastic tub and maybe someday I'll tinker with it? Great Score!

You said the case is pretty rusted. I guess that means the outside? Can you post a pic? There are several products that will clean up the rust. Loctite Naval Jelly works pretty well to remove surface rust on the old tools I sometimes restore - - wont help if its pitted though. I don't know anything that will cure the pits! Follow it with Autosol Metal Polish or similar for a nice shine. I use Conservator's Wax for a final protective coating.

Top Bottom