What's new

Brandaves shave journal

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've been catching up on a few of the journals. It's interesting to see how they unfold and this one is a good read.

Did you resolve the irritation issue with the Mama Bear soaps from the 2015 era? Was it the soap in the end, or technique?
Thanks for following along. The Mama Bear issue did end up being the soap. For whatever reason my skin does not do well with glycerin soaps. It hasn't proven to be a difficult problem to avoid though. Thankfully there are plenty of soaps that agree with my skin type.

My technique has improved dramatically since that time though. As it stands now I can pretty much get a DFS out of anything sharp...a pretty good place to be.

For whatever reason my skin does not do well with glycerin soaps.

That does make it easier. Far more so than if it's something in the perfume. That can be very difficult to locate, since the chemical ingredients are not listed. I'm having a similar soap problem myself, nothing major, just annoying really. I'll probably not buy any more soaps without trying a sample first, at least until I get a better idea of what is causing me the mild irritation.

My technique has improved dramatically since that time though.

This is my main goal and the whole point of keeping a journal; it really helps solve tecnical issues. Reading others helps too. I hope that as long as I keep reading, thinking and shaving I should get better whether I like it or not, lol.

brandaves

That does make it easier. Far more so than if it's something in the perfume. That can be very difficult to locate, since the chemical ingredients are not listed. I'm having a similar soap problem myself, nothing major, just annoying really. I'll probably not buy any more soaps without trying a sample first, at least until I get a better idea of what is causing me the mild irritation.

This is my main goal and the whole point of keeping a journal; it really helps solve tecnical issues. Reading others helps too. I hope that as long as I keep reading, thinking and shaving I should get better whether I like it or not, lol.
Reflecting on your shaves via a journal is an excellent way to keep track of where you've been and where you're going. It can also help you narrow down those soaps which work for you and those that don't. I highly recommend them. Anytime you invest concerted effort and thought into something you're bound to make connections and realizations you wouldn't otherwise.

I use soap samples all the time. A great inexpensive way to find out if a soap works for you. In particular the samples from Stirling are excellent. Granted, they are in the neighborhood of $3 but you can get a month or more out of one. I love having different scents on hand and it's a nice cheap way to do that.

brandaves

SOTD
12/04/2019

Razor: Christy Safety razor
Blade: Schick Injector Plus Chromium
Brush: Stirling Boar
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: RazoRock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Avon Spice
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191204_114028555.jpg

Whipping up the RazoRock Mudder Focker is always a treat. A wonderful floral scent is a great way to start any day and today was no exception. My lather was thick, slick and protective to boot. The Christy razor is light weight and easy to use without applying pressure. This light weight combined with the long handle makes obtaining a CCS all but an afterthought. I'm very glad that injector blades work in this wonderful razor! The Stirling boar brush continues to impress me at its $10 price point. Without a doubt one of the best dollar for dollar purchases I have made. It continues to improve as it breaks in. I finished today with Avon Spice. One of my favorite scents.

Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave today. An excellent shave, the only thing holding me back from 5 stars is the my skin feels a bit dry. I may go back for some balm later on since my skin seems thirsty. We shall see. Great shave though.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
12/05/2019

Razor: Gem Push Button
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger
Lather: Italian Barber Eleganza
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

Lumii_20191205_151009333.jpg

Lumii_20191205_151304893.jpg

Excellent shave with the Gem Push Button today. Another fantastic SE razor. Paired it with Italian Barber Eleganza, a pleasing green tobacco type scent which I love. It lathers easily, especially with the 26mm Yaqi Moka Express. The Moka Express is a lather hog of a brush. The face feel is fantastic and when it comes to getting the job done I've paid a lot more for brushes which don't perform half as well as the Yaqi. 10th shave on the Gem PTFE and still going strong. I'm very pleased with the longevity, even if it quits tomorrow. Finished with Aqua Velva blue. I hadn't used it in a while and decided it was time. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG with no cuts or weepers. CCS++.

Rating: 5 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
12/06/2019

Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather FHS-10
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Two Band Badger
Lather: Proraso C.O. Bigelow
Aftershave: Murray & Lanman Florida Water

Lumii_20191206_102357013.jpg

Today I boldly went where thousands have gone before, I shaved with the OneBlade Core. Admittedly, I really wasn't expecting much. I have an affinity for my vintage razors and generally don't go modern often. I find them to be too expensive and the shave quality relative to price is almost never there. However when the OneBlade Core went on sale for $20 I deemed it worthy of a try. I will say that this razor is all but idiot proof. I could see losing my technique pretty quickly were this to become my daily driver. I was able to get a fantastically close and comfortable shave from it, but I can't see myself inserting it into the rotation more often then normal. Perhaps on days when I need a quick shave or when I'm behind.

The C.O. Bigelow is just an excellent cream. It whips up a thick and slick lather that has a wonderful eucalyptus menthol scent. The cooling menthol is also wonderful between passes and is accentuated by a cold water splash. I don't know why I don't reach for it more often honestly.

The Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space brush is another example of the knots I expect from a Yaqi brush. Lather hogs that whip, splay, spread and repeat. Simply outstanding brushes for their price.

Florida Water is a nice conclusion to any shave. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave, plus touch ups. CCS, DFS+++. Very close to a BBS result but for a small section under my jawline which the OneBlade has trouble negotiating. Great shave.

brandaves

Pearl Harbor Day 2019

Razor: Gillette Tech, black bakelite handle
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
Brush: Opal 5 TGN Finest Badger
Lather: Williams Mug Soap
Aftershave: Fine American Blend

Lumii_20191206_215045321.jpg

Today's shave was inspired by Pearl Harbor Day. "A day which will live in infamy." 2,335 people were killed during the Japanese surprise attack, 4 battleships sunk and 4 more damaged representing the bulk of the Pacific fleet. The attack occured on a Sunday morning. I imagine most of the servicemen were on liberty that morning, perhaps engaging in their morning shave. I did my best to make this morning's shave as reminiscent of how those men might have shaved that morning. The prewar Gillette Tech was equipped with the 1942 service set bakelite handle and bottom cap (released after the US had entered the war). Unfortunately, I don't have the bakelite top cap. The razor is a top performer providing an excellent shave as I head off for a duty day myself. The William's Mug soap of course was certainly a soap available at the time and many of the men stationed at Pearl would have used that soap. It created a wonderful thick and slick comfortable lather in my Old Spice mug. The Opal handle was an obvious pairing as it is black and matched well with the black bakelite handle of the Tech. I finished off with Fine American Blend aftershave, a strong post shave feel and scent.

My ship visited Pearl Harbor once and we tied off across the water from the USS Arizona, literally a few hundred yards from the memorial. I had the pleasure of visiting it while we were there. The ship is still leaking oil all these years later. The survivors call the tiny goblets of oil slowly seeping from the decaying hulk, the tears of the ship. The Arizona suffered a direct hit to the armory from a Japanese plane, causing a devastating explosion. It sits as a stark reminder of a date which will live in infamy...enjoy your day, and remember those that fell and what the the day meant for the future of the world as it brought the US into the conflict.

brandaves

SOTD
12/08/2019

Razor: Dorko Solingen
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Two Band Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Lather: RazoRock What the Puck Green
Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic, Winter Reserve
Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block

Lumii_20191208_050244839.jpg

Lumii_20191208_050444173.jpg

Lumii_20191207_191616662.jpg

Today's shave was a PIF from @Space_Cadet which I was very excited to see in my mailbox yesterday. The Dorko Solingen razor is a beautiful piece with variable aggressiveness depending on which side of the razor you shave with. I opted for the more aggressive edge for the first two passes WTG and XTG and the milder side ATG which made for a great shave. Admittedly, the blade gap was intimidating at first...but my apprehension turned out to be unfounded as I was able to achieve a DFS++ with out so much as a touch up. A very pleasurable shave indeed! First use of the RazoRock What the Puck Green today. The Yaqi Mysterious Space whipped up an exceptional lather and the scent was very enjoyable. I finished with some Alum on a careless weeper I received just below my nose, but the styptic pencil wasn't necessary as it sealed up quickly. The aftershave was another first, the Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic in Winter Reserve. I was worried that the scent would a bit boozy and overpowering considering that bourbon is part of the recipe, but it turned out to be delightfully light...in fact I might have preferred it be a bit more present. The clove notes gives it a nice warm winter scent which I quite enjoyed. Might have been a 5 star shave has I not managed some irritation in a known problem area on my neck. All in all though, a great shave!

brandaves

SOTD
12/09/2019

Razor: Valet VC1
Blade: Gem Despined PTFE Coated
Brush: Rubberset 203 TGN High Mountain Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Lather: Martin De Candre Fougere
Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Additional Care: Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block
Neutrogena Aftershave Balm

Lumii_20191209_105034236.jpg

Lumii_20191209_105318903.jpg

Boy did I get a lousy shave today...it rarely happens anymore, but it does happen. The VC1 can be a cruel mistress and today kitty had claws. I have irritation under my jawline and weepers plus irritation just above my lip. My face hurts. It was just a really awful shave. If I had stopped at two passes I would have been totally fine but I tried for a BBS, which is usually the culprit when I have a bad shave. Let's be clear, the equipment was operating as advertised it was me who was off my game. The Martin De Candre was excellent however and paired well with the Rubberset 203. Hoping for a better shave on Wednesday...I'm skipping tomorrow due to today's disaster of a shave.

UPDATE: My face feels better...and I did get a nice shave as far as stubble gone.

Rating: 3 / 5

brandaves

12/10/2019

No shave today. I got my SR back from doc and intend on shaving with it tomorrow.

brandaves

SOTD
12/11/2019

Razor: Thiers Issard Le Dandy
Lather: Stirling Texas on Fire
Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic, Winter Reserve

Lumii_20191211_120340758.jpg

Lumii_20191211_120705245.jpg

Took a break yesterday after a poor performance on the day before. My first break from my daily shaves in a while. Started fresh with the Bronner's Lavender soap in the shower. It's a very strong pleasing lavender scent. First use if the Stirling Texas on Fire and boy, they aren't kidding. If Texas were burning that's what it would smell like. The scent is very strong of smoke. I didn't hate it, but I'm not planning a honeymoon anytime soon either. It's one if those soaps I'm going to have to be specifically in the mood for. Either way, the lather was excellent and provided great protection. I recieved my Le Dandy in the mail yesterday after a good honing. Although I'm clearly out of practice with my SR technique, I was able to manage a three pass WTG/XTG/ATG DFS++ with zero irritation, cuts or weepers. It really makes a difference starting with a professionally honed razor. I sent it to him to provide a baseline for my own honing and as it turns out, I wasn't far off which is encouraging. I finished off with the Shave Tonic Winter Reserve. A very nice winter scent. All said an done, an excellent shave.

brandaves

SOTD
12/12/2019

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold tone bullet tip
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Lather: RazoRock What the Puck Blue
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk

Lumii_20191212_035236343.jpg

I honestly barely needed a shave this morning after the closeness of yesterday's SR shave. I honestly forgot the staying power of a really nice SR shave. Despite that, I felt obligated as I am on duty today. I opted for the Gem Micromatic bullet tip today, more on that in a minute. First the RazoRock What the Puck Blue. I was very impressed with this soap, particularly for the price. The lather was absolutely fantastic and the scent is a nice floral scent. A very refreshing and protective lather and the Stirling 26mm Finest Badger made quick work of whipping it up. Truly one of my best brushes. I can't think of a bad lather I've had with it. The backbone is perfect, the splay also exceptional and the face feel superb. The Gem performed fantastic today, probably the best shave I've gotten from a Micromatic. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG and no touch ups necessary and DFS++. Finished with a splash of Thayers Witch Hazel and Aqua Velva Musk. A great shave today!

brandaves

SOTD
12/14/2019

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Kindal Lather Catcher
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Sagrada Familia 100% Pure Badger
Lather: RazoRock What the Puck Gold
Aftershave: RazoRock Mudder Focker

Lumii_20191214_091453381.jpg

I was worried that the C.V. Heljestrand Kindal Lather Catcher might only accept wedge blades. That wouldn't have been a terrible tragedy, but thankfully it takes regular Gem blades making shaving that much easier. Preshave with Bronner's Lavender in the shower was very nice. The What the Puck was also fantastic. It lathers exceptionally and the scent is fantastic. It may be the best deal out of all my soaps. I got it for $10 for 4 pucks...really a no brainer deal on that stuff. It's just fantastic. The C.V. Heljestrand Kindal was just awesome. What a great shaver! I'm really excited to hone up some wedges and use it as originally intended. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG with no touch ups required achieving a DFS+++.

brandaves

SOTD
12/15/2019

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Black/White Tuxedo Synthetic
Lather: Stirling Gatlinburg
Aftershave: RazoRock Son of Zeus

Lumii_20191215_105114267.jpg

Another excellent shave today. The Stirling Gatlinburg is definitely more in my wheelhouse for a smoke scented soap then Texas on Fire. The fire scent in Gatlinburg is much more muted, almost an afterthought. A wonderful scent and it whipped up a very nice slick and thick lather. The Yaqi Synthetic did a good job on its first shave as well. Very pleased with Yaqi brushes. I haven't found one that doesn't perform. The Shovelhead is always good shave for me. I used the chain link handle designed for the 1912s, the look is just too classic. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave, no touch up necessary for a DFS++. Finished with RazoRock Son of Zeus AS. I am very impressed with both RazoRock AS I own. The are refreshing post shave and my wife likes both of their scents. I see more of them in my future.

brandaves

SOTD
12/16/2019

Razor: Gem 1912 Gold Tone
Lather: RazoRock Alchemy
Aftershave: Avon Spice

Lumii_20191216_045938931.jpg

Lumii_20191216_050023111.jpg

Fantastic shave today. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the blade feel and feedback on the 1912's. It's a very impressive razor and without a doubt one of my favorites. I just can't keep myself from going back to it despite the many razors in my collection. The RazoRock Alchemy was excellent, and it brought to mind an odd bit of nostalgia. The scent brought the memory of my grandmother to mind. I couldn't shake the feeling that the scent was reminiscent of something she used to wear. It made me smile. You don't often hear that a peice of shaving equipment reminded one of their grandmother...it was nice to be reminded of her today. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG plus touch ups for a BBS today. I finished with Avon Spice, one of my favorite scents. A very refreshing shave this morning indeed.

brandaves

SOTD
12/17/2019

Razor: TNNSER 3D
Blade: Treet
Brush: Stirling 26mm Fan knot Finest Badger
Lather: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel Lavender

Lumii_20191217_131339617.jpg

Lumii_20191217_131530133.jpg

I was really excited for today's shave but unfortunately was left disappointed and a bit confused. Everything preshave went as planned I felt my skin and fuzz were adequately prepared for the day's shave. My lather was initially a bit light but I added more product and it came out nicely slick and thick. I used the Stirling Fan to build it up a bit more with some face lathering, more on the soap later. I had initially loaded a freshly stropped Gem PTFE blade in the TNNSER but upon a few strokes with the grain I decided that 15 shaves had been enough for that blade and trashed it. I replaced it with a fresh Treet blade (a new blade I received in a PIF/trade). I continued my shave only to find that the blade change hadn't markedly improved the quality of my shave. It wasn't uncomfortable or even irritating to the skin. I just felt like I was fighting the razor. I wasn't experiencing the effortless efficiency I get with most other SE razors. So I finished my WTG pass and began XTG. I figured I just needed some stubble reduction to really get this shave going. Only that wasn't what happened. I again fought through this pass. I rinsed and began my third and final ATG pass only to find even more resistance then on my previous passes. Again, there was no irritation, cuts or weepers. The shave was comfortable as far as my face goes. Even now post shave I have zero irritation. Anyway, after my third pass ATG I decided I needed a closer shave and opted to do another full ATG pass (something I never do) and was able to get a bit closer. All in all I ended up with a very comfortable shave, but not close at all. When feeling the stubble on my face I would consider this completed shave to feel similar to a finished WTG single pass with my Gem Damaskeene.

So here is my question, what on earth am I doing wrong? Is there a way to increase the efficiency of the razor? Any technique suggestions? I changed my angle around several times to attempt better results but perhaps I missed something. I'm not giving up on the razor yet, but it may just end up being too mild for me. All responses welcome, and please don't take this as a criticism of the TNNSER. Today was my first shave and I fully expect that the issues I'm having to be of my own creation and of no failure of the TNNSER at all.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
12/18/2019

Razor: TNNSER 3D
Lather: Captain's Choice Lime
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter
Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block

Lumii_20191218_174940882.jpg

Lumii_20191218_175025890.jpg

Well after yesterday's attempt with the TNNSER I felt I needed to give it another go. I decided to switch blades back to a new Gem PTFE because I'm familiar with it and know what to expect. I adjusted the top cap to the rear at the suggestion of a TOST member, lathered my soap and started my shave. The good news first. The shave was MUCH more efficient today...I don't think I could have cut myself with this razor yesterday, today however I did...many times. My neck is butchered at the moment. I think after my previous shave I over corrected my technique. It seems the change in blade coupled with pushing back the top cap resulted in uber efficient shaver, nearly the opposite of my previous shave.

So, while I think I can get a good shave with the TNNSER I think I need a break. Past experience is having too big an effect on my technique. I'll set it aside for a couple of weeks and try again then.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
12/20/2019

Razor: Maggard Slant
Lather: RazoRock What the Puck Blue
Aftershave: RazoRock Mudder Focker

Lumii_20191221_185703469.jpg

Feeling absolutely awful today...its going to be a long watch today. Don't know what it is but definitely feel fluish. Despite that, I got a decent shave. The first one I've ever had with a slant. First impression, not really all that different from a regular head. That's just my first thoughts though, perhaps that will change with more shaves under my belt. The Astra is still going strong though after its 10th shave. I'm happy to see some longevity out of my blades, excited to see what I get out of the Vokshods and Rapiras. Good shave.

Rating: 4 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
12/21/2019

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Brush: Made Rite 177 TGN Pure Badger
Lather: Williams Mug Soap
Aftershave: RazoRock Son of Zeus

Lumii_20191221_190210100.jpg

Still feeling really awful today...just have to trudge through one more before I have a few off. Today's shave was fantastic. The type of shave I've come to expect from all my vintage SE razors I suppose. I went with Williams today because I wanted a no fuss lather and a nice slick shave which was what I got from it. The RazoRock AS was fantastic today as it was yesterday. Fantastic shave today. DFS++

Top Bottom