Razor: Gem Push Button
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka Express Two Band Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: Martin De Candre Fougere
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Chesire
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191223_150709246.jpg

An exceptional shave today with the Gem Push Button. I'd be lying though if I said it was the best part. The Martin De Candre soap is simply fantastic. I suppose its probably better that I used the last of it today as if it were available I might never use the rest of my soaps...I know I've said it before but I'll say it again, my SE razors are far and away better than any of my DE razors. I still love and use my DE razors but if I had to use one razor for the rest of my life, it would be a tough choice between several of my SE razors. The Yaqi 26mm Mocha Express has quickly become my favorite brush. It is an absolute lather hog and whips up a quick wonderful lather. It's large bloom splays nicely and it paints a beautiful base for shaving. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG for a DFS++

Rating: 5 / 5

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
SOTD
12/29/2019

Razor: Gem Featherweight
Aftershave: RazoRock Mudder Focker

Lumii_20191229_071611203.jpg

Another fantastic shave with the Gem Featherweight today. I've had some residual irritation on the left corner of my mouth from a few days ago plaguing me but I went very easy on that area and managed to not exacerbate the damage today. Opted for the MDC again today, just a fantastic soap and easily the best in my rotation. I was gifted a new jar for Christmas and couldn't be happier. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG with no weeper cuts or irritation. DFS++.

brandaves

SOTD
12/31/2019

Razor: TNNSER 3D
Brush: RazoRock 400 Synthetic NOIR Plissoft
Pre-Shave: Hot water rinse
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Grapefruit Shave Cream
Aftershave: Old Spice Shulton

Lumii_20191231_044134840.jpg

Excellent shave today with the TNNSER. It's a shame I think my initial shave I just had the head off kilter a bit which produced an awful shave, thankfully I have it dialed in as it's a fantastic razor. I don't often reach for the TOBS Grapefruit but I got a great lather and it has a very pleasing scent as well. I nice protective and slick lather from it. The RazoRock 400 is a great brush also, I can see why the 400 is so popular as it feels so comfortable in the hand. Finished off with one of my favorites today, the Old Spice Shulton. It's such a fantastic scent and just a classic, SWMBO says I smell like an old man but I'm at work today so she won't have to tolerate it. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG with no touch ups necessary for a DFS++.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
1/1/2020

Razor: Shavette Barber Pole
Blade: Shark Super Stainless Half Blades
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Two Band Badger
Lather: Stirling Orange Chill
Aftershave: Evan Williams/Clubman homebrew
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel, Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block

Lumii_20200101_230130699.jpg

I don't do many shavette shaves. I think it's more a function of the number of quality razors I own then it is the enjoyment I get from them. SR and shavette shaves offer unique challenges that are fun and a nice change of pace. This evening's shave was no exception to that. Although I did have a few weepers and some mild irritation on my neck I did get a very nice comfortable shave. Tonight was my first use of Stirling Orange Chill, a nice mentholated soap with a mild yet pleasant scent. The Evan Williams/Clubman was a bit of a surprise. The mix was pretty much 50% EW, 40% Clubman and 10% Witch Hazel. I thought this stuff was going to be over the top boozy...not the case at all. In fact, I really ended up with a muted Clubman. I'm not terribly disappointed as I still enjoy the scent and the face feel is superb. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG for a DFS++.

brandaves

SOTD
1/3/2020

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914
Brush: JR 63
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk

Lumii_20200103_160306729.jpg

The Little Lather Catcher was pretty darned fantastic today. I need to make some repairs to it as the blade stops have worn considerably. Luckily the spring is still in good enough shape to pinch the blade enough that there is no slipping. First use of my new JR 63, an exceptional brush nicely hand crafted by Jim Roe. It fits very nicely in the hand and whipped up a fantastically smooth and slick lather from the MWF. I truly love the face feel, scent and lather of MWF. Unfortunately I have such fickle preferences and enough choices to be so. The Aqua Velva Musk was a nice finish to today's shave. A comfortable face feel and pleasing scent. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG with no need for a touch up. A DFS+++.

brandaves

SOTD
1/4/2020

Razor: Schick Injector Type E3
Blade: Schick Injector Plus Chromium
Brush: JR 146
Lather: Proraso C.O. Bigelow
Aftershave: Avon Leather

Lumii_20200104_163030000.jpg

A very pleasurable shave this evening. I sometimes forget how great the C O Bigelow can be. It has a wonderful slickness and the menthol scent and feel is excellent on the face. The first shave with the Jim Roe 146 was also very nice. Another exceptional player in my shave today was obviously the razor, a Schick injector. It was overall an excellent shave finished nicely with the Avon Leather. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG DFS+++.

SOTD
1/4/2020

Razor: Schick Injector Type E3
Lather: Proraso C.O. Bigelow
Aftershave: Avon Leather

View attachment 1049708

A very pleasurable shave this evening. I sometimes forget how great the C O Bigelow can be. It has a wonderful slickness and the menthol scent and feel is excellent on the face. The first shave with the Jim Roe 146 was also very nice. Another exceptional player in my shave today was obviously the razor, a Schick injector. It was overall an excellent shave finished nicely with the Avon Leather. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG DFS+++.

Love that bottle!

brandaves

Love that bottle!
Thank you sir, when I saw it I knew I was going to buy it...I was a little bummed that it was Avon Leather as I already had a huge backstock of it. Now when I want Leather I always reach for this bottle for that reason.

brandaves

SOTD
1/5/2020

Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
Brush: Fuller TGN Finest Black Badger
Lather: Stirling Gatlinburg
Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic, Winter Reserve

Lumii_20200105_190210121.jpg

Great shave today...been a while since I went back to DE but the Single Ring is always a great choice. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG for a DFS++.

brandaves

SOTD
1/8/2020

Razor: Christy Safety razor
Brush: Stirling Boar
Lather: Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle
Aftershave: Avon Blend 7

Lumii_20200108_154728516.jpg

The Christy has continually proven to be an excellent shaver. Two days growth was made very quick work of. Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle is a delightful muted orange scent. I imagine it will make a very fine spring and summertime soap. This was a very nice shave. Three passes WTG/XTG/ATG for a DFS+

brandaves

SOTD
1/12/2020

Razor: Gem G-Bar
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Black/White Tuxedo Synthetic
Lather: Stirling Mountain Man

Lumii_20200113_070524449.jpg

Excellent shave today. The Stirling Mountain Man really shined. The lather was really nice and thick with superb cushion. The G-Bar while not particularly sexy, is easily in my top 5 for best shavers. I can always rely on it for a simple no fuss three pass WTG/XTG/ATG DFS.

I have a lot of den cleaning that needs doing. We'll see how soon I can get that underway. I've come to realize that I don't need 5 Gillette Slims when in reality I barely use one. Same goes for my Fatboy razors. I should just be keeping one good example of each razor I like and would like to keep in my rotation.

brandaves

SOTD
1/15/2020

Razor: Gem Junior, 1912
Lather: RazoRock Mudder Focker

Lumii_20200115_152906117.jpg

Absolutely excellent shave this evening. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG DFS++ I could have easily chased and achieved a BBS on this on but just didn't feel the need. Every peice of my kit performed it's best today. One of those shaves you look forward to.

brandaves

SOTD
1/16/2020

Razor: Gem Featherweight
Lather: RazoRock "Son of Zeus"
Aftershave: RazoRock Son of Zeus

Lumii_20200116_153134495.jpg

Excellent three pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave today with the Gem Featherweight. I haven't steered from my SE razors lately as they never disappoint. I also stuck with a RazoRock pairing in a tip of the cap to yesterday's choice which I enjoyed all day. A quick DFS+++.

brandaves

SOTD
1/20/2020

Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Black/White Tuxedo Synthetic
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Venture

Lumii_20200120_150606993.jpg

Just a fantastic shave today after three days growth. The Gem mowed down the growth on its 13th use without hesitation. I'm officially fully converted to SE. I have become an occasional DE user and an SE shaver. I have many great shaving DE razors but none of them can compare to any of my Gems. They are aptly named as they are all gems. I just can't seem to get a lackluster shave from them. I hadn't used Tabac in a while so I pulled it out for a go. Still one of the best lathering soaps I have and it doesn't hurt the I love the scent! Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG BBS today. Woot!

brandaves

SOTD
1/23/2020

Brush: Stirling Boar
Lather: Williams Mug Soap
Aftershave: Avon Blend 7

Lumii_20200123_160228022.jpg

I had such a great shave with the Gem Push Button that I decided to shave with it again...something I almost never do. I have so many razors that it's nice to switch things up. In fact I can't remember the last time I shaved back to back with a razor when I didn't have to. The William's was excellent as it always is and the Stirling Boar was a nice painter and exfoliator today. Finished with Blend 7, my favorite Avon scent. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave for a DFS+++

brandaves

SOTD
1/27/2020

Razor: Gem 1912 Nickel
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Moka Express Synthetic
Lather: RazoRock Alchemy
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Lumii_20200127_165229823.jpg

Excellent shave today. The 1912 seemed to have had a bit more difficult of a time at my beard then did the push button. I was surprised at this, but it was no trouble at all. Alchemy is a nice soap with an understated scent. A light citrus base is at play and very pleasing. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG for a DFS++.

brandaves

SOTD
1/30/2020

Razor: Gillette Red tip Super Speed D4
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Rubberset 203 TGN High Mountain Badger
Lather: Shulton Old Spice
Aftershave: Old Spice Shulton
Additional Care: Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block

Lumii_20200130_154901580.jpg

Would have been a 4.5 star shave today had I not nic'd myself above the lip on the very last pass. First DE shave in a long while and at least I can say I haven't forgotten how to do it. A nice choice on the Red Tip also. First shave with the Voskhod and I was impressed. It was a nice smooth comfortable shave. Three pass WTG/XTG/ATG for a CCS.

Rating: 4 / 5

brandaves

SOTD
1/31/2020

Razor: Gem G-Bar
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Lumii_20200131_155737793.jpg

A quick two passes today WTG/ATG for a CCS++. I always love the combination of my Mocha Express badger and MDC. The scent, face feel and lather were all luxurious. Fantastic quick one today.

brandaves

I find myself scrolling through this thread just to look at the pictures. Nice job!
It's been a while since being here. It was nice posting when I had the time...and I did capture some nice shots, thank you for the compliment!

Top Bottom