What's new

Brand New Henson Ti handle stuck

Recently I came into the possession of a brand new Henson ti straight from Henson itself. The only problem is...I can't unscrew it! Anyone have any advice? I've never encountered this issue before.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What's the handle made of? I've experienced thread galling when using Ti and stainless mixed fasteners.

If it were me, I'd send a question to the manufacturer before applying a lot of torque.

What's the handle made of? I've experienced thread galling when using Ti and stainless mixed fasteners.

If it were me, I'd send a question to the manufacturer before applying a lot of torque.
I asked them. They hit me with the "did you try using towels on both ends". It's titanium, but they recently changed the threading to a special kind of stainless. Wondering if that's the issueb

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
So you bought it new from Henson and they shipped it screwed together? Hopefully it's the latest model with stainless threads.

So you bought it new from Henson and they shipped it screwed together? Hopefully it's the latest model with stainless threads.
Yes. Although the thread either broke off the top cap or it has male threading now lol. I got it directly from henson from the latest drop.

Attachments

• 20220427_212406.jpg
    20220427_212406.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 202

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Companies have warranty systems in place for a reason. Its time to send the razor back, this razor is clearly 100% defective, there is no way the company could dispute it otherwise. They clearly screwed up, and its in their job to fix it, if they want to keep a customer. So please do so return, and I hope you get a real Henson razor next time, with 0-issues.

Henson really dropped the ball on this one. What were they thinking?

Seems like the threads were already galled, them recommending you to remove it with a towel is a wrong move.

Was this so that they could blame the customer and cast fault, rather than taking responsibility in the first place?

I really hope not...

Completely unacceptable and Henson knows it. They s/b telling you to send it back tout suite. As a Canadian I apologize on behalf of a Canadian company that should know better.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Show them a better quality photo and ask for a new one is all I can suggest. They have a warranty on their products I believe.
If it is past warranty all I can suggest then is run a dye and tap into the threads to correct any issues.
Lack of lubrication or over torqueing is the usually the culprit from my experience as a machinist working with these metal over the decades. It just happens with titanium and stainless as fasteners but seldom if lubed .

Completely unacceptable and Henson knows it. They s/b telling you to send it back tout suite. As a Canadian I apologize on behalf of a Canadian company that should know better.
You're right, it is unacceptable. As a fellow Canadian, I apologize too.

This is not what I would expect of a company that already has such a huge financial success. I remember reading an article on how rapidly their profits skyrocketed for such a young company- if I remember correctly they amassed over $1M in such a short period of time being in business.

Wow. I had an older TI22 that had brass on the male end of the threads and the female was tungsten I believe. I know that titanium threads are notorious for galling issues which is why they use different material for the threads. I never had a problem with the TI22 in screwing on and off the top and I've never had a problem with stainless to stainless razors which is what it looks like they are trying with the newer models. In any case, bummer this delays your use of the razor (as I'm sure you'll like it), but I'm sure the company will take care of you and make it right.

First off, Titanium threading on a safety razor "is not" notorious for galling and I wish people would stop saying that!! Second, I have been using my Ti Timeless for going on 4yrs now and have never had a problem and the same goes for my Ti Blackbird that I've had for a year. In my almost 6 yrs on this and other forums I have seen "1" instance where galling was a problem but it was the end user that over tightened the threads that caused said problem!! There is no need to tighten a razor handle that tight to begin with!! It's not going to clamp the blade any more secure than if it were merely snugged up...

As to the OP @Sethology , if it had happened to me I would expect Henson to overnight a new razor to me and include a call tag to have the other returned at they're expense... If not I would expect a full refund including shipping both directions!!

Yes. Although the thread either broke off the top cap or it has male threading now lol. I got it directly from henson from the latest drop.
It does not look like it broke off but I would expect the threaded post to be thread locked to the cap. Either way it is for Henson to put right including all shippings costs. I too would expect them to urgently ship a new razor to you.

Henson should be inspecting and test driving all of their razors prior to packing and shipping. This is very rare for a Henson razor. I recommend calling them and sending a email with a photo, prior to sending the razor back to Henson. This ensures that they are aware of the issue and can expedite a replacement being manufactured and sent immediately. From their website, it appears they have changed material on both the handle female insert and the post threads on the head. The female insert used to be tungsten and the head post threads were brass (as on mine). It looks like Henson changed both the female insert and the head post threads to stainless steel. It is possible that this material change may have resulted in some quality control issues they are unware of. I am sure that Henson will make this right.

First off, Titanium threading on a safety razor "is not" notorious for galling and I wish people would stop saying that!! Second, I have been using my Ti Timeless for going on 4yrs now and have never had a problem and the same goes for my Ti Blackbird that I've had for a year. In my almost 6 yrs on this and other forums I have seen "1" instance where galling was a problem but it was the end user that over tightened the threads that caused said problem!! There is no need to tighten a razor handle that tight to begin with!! It's not going to clamp the blade any more secure than if it were merely snugged up...

As to the OP @Sethology , if it had happened to me I would expect Henson to overnight a new razor to me and include a call tag to have the other returned at they're expense... If not I would expect a full refund including shipping both directions!!
Sorry but yes it is. And it is precisely why Henson used the brass and tungsten threads (their words, not mine). But if your wish is that people don't say that and we all just safely assume that everyone is overtightening their razors I'll leave the issue at that. Have a great day and good shaves to all.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First off, Titanium threading on a safety razor "is not" notorious for galling and I wish people would stop saying that!!
Well, maybe you're right about the threads of razors or you've just been lucky.

But as a guy who has spent hours repairing a number of failed titanium and stainless fasteners in the automotive industry, many of which never even got tight and seized during initial assembly, I know for a fact it happens. Maybe a quick google search for "thread galling titanium" or some such will help us understand these failures.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sorry but yes it is. And it is precisely why Henson used the brass and tungsten threads (their words, not mine). But if your wish is that people don't say that and we all just safely assume that everyone is overtightening their razors I'll leave the issue at that. Have a great day and good shaves to all.
Henson has gone to a Nitrated stainless bushing in the handle recently from their website is what I read, not sure why they changed this. Nitrate stainless gives a coating to the thread area and acts like a wall between the 2 different metals (stainless and titanium) that is interesting and good + pricey IMO. Henson is striving for the best product for their customers with less issues!

Mfg anything you will get the odd part that are missed by QC and that is part of life and it happens quite often in products and sometimes it is not noticed by customers, I worked in oilfield Mfg and they had 3 different QC folks that usually found and rejected products, 1 fellow roamed the floor with different micrometers and test gauges checking parts as machinists made them to correct issues quickly and then to 2nd main person who scrutinized the parts with very accurate instruments & gauges & then 3rd to a warehouse in the city where they would check certain products again and finally to the customer. And believe it or not the warehouse would send parts back as rejected(rare) and when the oil patch was hurting that was a sore site for QC staff and disappointed managers . A person would be surprised how much expensive scrap I had seen over a short period of time.
The last thing any manufactures want is a unhappy customer is the bottom line regardless IMO!

Last edited:
Top Bottom