What's new

Boycott a Product ?

Do people who are criticizing companies who profess political leanings contrary to your own, also criticize companies who support your political leanings?

Because complaining only when the opposition does it comes off as hypocritical.

And I know there are exceptions, such as the scenario @andromeda673 presented. Not because they posted facebook ads calling for the impeachment of the president or used that money to push a political agenda, but because they personally attacked customers simply for having a different political view.

In other cases, I really do wonder what people find SO offensive that they ignore the fact that the business treats them with the same courtesy (good or bad) that they treat all their other customers with, and decide to boycott a product anyway.

Businesses have always done that. Oh, BTW, Hollywood's biggest grossing year domestically was 2018. The ten top grossing years? The last ten. Most businesses who take some kind of political or moral position probably aren't hurting themselves much more than that.

Based on gross and not real market share or tickets sold. Ticket sales have been declining and that is a reduction in profitability. I have never known businesses to endorse a political point, until recently. Their management certainly made political contributions, but those were generally done outside of public scrutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I refuse to purchase, use, or even try any Geo. F. Trumper shave products simply because it's got that sequence of letters in the name! It's probably amazing stuff too! But some things are just really worth fighting for... or AGAINST!

Last edited:
Do people who are criticizing companies who profess political leanings contrary to your own, also criticize companies who support your political leanings?

And I know there are exceptions, such as the scenario @andromeda673 presented. Not because they posted facebook ads calling for the impeachment of the president or used that money to push a political agenda, but because they personally attacked customers simply for having a different political view.

In other cases, I really do wonder what people find SO offensive that they ignore the fact that the business treats them with the same courtesy (good or bad) that they treat all their other customers with, and decide to boycott a product anyway.

Fair question. In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does." Much of it is virtue signalling, something that cuts across politics and ideologies, and that tends to get on my nerves. Usually virtual signalling seems, well, juvenile, regardless of who does it.

The thing is, any company that takes any sort of political or ideological stand it going to risk losing half or more of their customers. The other side of that coin is that if a company's clientele is already divided along political and ideological lines, virtue signalling to attract customers from the other side isn't going to work, and will likely lose business from existing customers.

OTOH, I know of instances where companies have "doubled down" to gain sales within "their" group, and that seems to work. Then again, an author lost me as a reader by thinking his fans were all of one group and said he didn't what "my" sort, so I shrugged, took him at his word, and have never brought another one of his books.

As much as I will seek out companies who share my values and reject those who don't, I have to say that this whole massively divisive, virtue signaling zero-sum game is legitimately tragic and will probably be the downfall this and other western countries. When will people learn that putting people into increasingly smaller groups and making half of them your friends and the others into your enemy will always result in bringing out the worst of humanities demons? The only way this whole thing works is if we learn to recognise everyone as an individual and accept our differences with grace.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As much as I will seek out companies who share my values and reject those who don't, I have to say that this whole massively divisivel, virtue signaling zero-sum game is legitimately tragic and will probably be the downfall this and other western countries. When will people learn that putting people into increasingly smaller groups and making half of them your friends and the others into your enemy will always result in bringing out the worst of humanities demons? The only way this whole thing works is if we learn to recognise everyone as an individual and accept our differences with grace.

I couldn't agree more. We, as a collective in western society, have chosen to play a very dangerous game with all this group identity business. That's not America, it's not good, it probably won't end well. And I see no evidence of anything changing for the better in the near future.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

When I was cutting hair for a living I owned the place, and being a libertarian anything was up for discussion. I know a few folks got mad and went elsewhere after a while, because they vote with their wallet, like I do. Usually they'd come back, because, well..... I was that good, lol

When I became a nurse, I let the patient talk about whatever, and I mean, whatever they wanted to. Being a small business owner was good training. It also mattered what was ailing the person. A hospice patient that enjoyed arguing might want a good fight, lol. They often questioned me about my afterlife beliefs. I figured at that time in their life they deserved my honest opinion. I believe that God had me there at that time, in that place, for a divine purpose. It's quite an honor to be with someone when they choose for you to be present at the new beginning.

But I can, with complete honesty (as opposed to most of the time) say that I delivered care to patients to the absolute best of my ability without regard to the treatment I received at their hands. There is NEVER an excuse for treating a patient without patience, unless I have a doctor's order. Seriously.

I miss being a nurse. The spiritual benefits are unexplainable.

Ive done it in the past. I can think of a soap maker whose products I used to love who made some comments that I found to be unacceptable, so I boycotted their products.
Id do it again if another company whose products I use did a similar thing. Theres so many great shaving companies out there that you can afford to be picky if you choose and not support someone whose thoughts/opinions/politics you find to be unacceptable.

FarmerTan

Is Arko from Turkey? If so, my boycotting days are over before they had a chance to start.

Me and the Arko man are tight.

I choose to stop buying from the spice company not solely based on the ads they bought and ran demanding for the impeachment, but when I got light up on Facebook by their marketing team and told well then don’t buy our spices. Game set match.

When companies make states either for or against you believe in, they made that choice. Nothing wrong with boycotting or voting your wallet and feet.

I choose to stop buying from the spice company not solely based on the ads they bought and ran demanding for the impeachment, but when I got light up on Facebook by their marketing team and told well then don’t buy our spices. Game set match.

When companies make states either for or against you believe in, they made that choice. Nothing wrong with boycotting or voting your wallet and feet.
What spices have you bought from em in the past? Are the good?

For me, a total boycott is rare.

However, my perceptions of the company's politics, ethics, or business practices figure into the mix.

If two companies are selling similar products at similar prices, the company whose practices and politics disagree with my sensitivities is at a disadvantage.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If I find that a company or country is doing something that I find to be objectionable, I have and will boycott their products, if and whenever possible.
Me too

Oddly, that's perhaps easily done with shaving. All you have to do is to forgo badger brushes and razors made in China. It's a tad more difficult for injector blades, but you can get some nice twin blades from Japan.
And their de blades are so bad they self boycott lol

Maybe. I might also start buying from a company if they offend the right people.
This too

Think two kinds of companies - those that trade on the stock markets (big) and those that don't (small).
plenty of muti billion dollar privately held companies. I work at one.

I have Gillette Pure. It's not a bad cream for as cheap and available as it is here.
this is what grandpa would be using today if he wanted to make his own lather

They are stoopid in the way they do business.
Yup

Assuming profit is more important than principle.
Principles are important too but hopefully those impacted by any future potential workforce reduction due to falling sales will take comfort in the fact that the company “did the right thing”

When I was cutting hair for a living I owned the place, and being a libertarian anything was up for discussion. I know a few folks got mad and went elsewhere after a while, because they vote with their wallet, like I do. Usually they'd come back, because, well..... I was that good, lol

When I became a nurse, I let the patient talk about whatever, and I mean, whatever they wanted to. Being a small business owner was good training. It also mattered what was ailing the person. A hospice patient that enjoyed arguing might want a good fight, lol. They often questioned me about my afterlife beliefs. I figured at that time in their life they deserved my honest opinion. I believe that God had me there at that time, in that place, for a divine purpose. It's quite an honor to be with someone when they choose for you to be present at the new beginning.

But I can, with complete honesty (as opposed to most of the time) say that I delivered care to patients to the absolute best of my ability without regard to the treatment I received at their hands. There is NEVER an excuse for treating a patient without patience, unless I have a doctor's order. Seriously.

I miss being a nurse. The spiritual benefits are unexplainable.

I try to never voice my views with those I do business with, out of courtesy to them. My father wouldn't always do so, leaving it to us to change the subject or run interference. The nurses handled it well, but I sure felt for them at times.

I try to never voice my views with those I do business with, out of courtesy to them. My father wouldn't always do so, leaving it to us to change the subject or run interference. The nurses handled it well, but I sure felt for them at times.

The beauty of old age is you can act as ornery as you like and people just chalk it up to being......well......old. I sure wouldn't want to know me in another 20 years.

FarmerTan

Oh, if he was like a lot of the folks I treated, he was a different soul with family not around. He may have been a "character" that the nurses loved to give and take with!
The beauty of old age is you can act as ornery as you like and people just chalk it up to being......well......old. I sure wouldn't want to know me in another 20 years.
Lol, my dad was probably my age when he told me he couldn't wait to get old so he could say whatever the heck he pleased.

He ended up spending the last year or so of his life in the facility I worked at. I obviously was never his nurse, but all the aides and his nurses loved him. He was an ornery old cuss, but ALWAYS a gentleman, if that makes any sense. That greatest generation was just made like that.

I suspect that if the Creator chooses to use you as a member of the few old men that make it to a "rest home" that you will be one that they fight over to care for.

Top Bottom