What's new

Boycott a Product ?

This was before the explosion in availability of other blades, though.
Yes quite right. I remember when I had to get a relative to send me Derby half blades from turkey. Now you can buy them on Amazon, eBay etc
[/QUOTE]
How long ago was that??
Not long enough

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In the 80s I was driving a 73-74 Super Beetle, and a 69 Karmann Ghia
Ha! My wife had your VW in orange when we got married. Sold it, cheap. I was young and stoopid.

I would love that Ghia! My cousin had one. Loved that car.
And ?
I think your trying to make and a point and it appears to be going right over my head. 😀

Any thread I'm involved in quickly loses any "point!" Lol

Ha! My wife had your VW in orange when we got married. Sold it, cheap. I was young and stoopid.

Lol only Vintage VW I ever wanted was a Thing (Type 181)

There is nothing like that VW smell. Must be the German Vinyl
I wish there was an aftershave or soap.with that scent!

There is nothing like that VW smell. Must be the German Vinyl
I wish there was an aftershave or soap.with that scent!

I was talking with someone about car smells the other day. One of my fathers' friends loved Jaguars and he had an XJ as well as an E Type. And they were older models. I was young, maybe pre-teen or early teens. I remember going for rides in those cars and one thing that always stuck with me was the unique smell of those Jags. I loved that smell of a mix of aging leather, funk and god knows what else.

I was talking with someone about car smells the other day. One of my fathers' friends loved Jaguars and he had an XJ as well as an E Type. And they were older models. I was young, maybe pre-teen or early teens. I remember going for rides in those cars and one thing that always stuck with me was the unique smell of those Jags. I loved that smell of a mix of aging leather, funk and god knows what else.
My friend in the late 90s had an 80s Porsche 911. It had the same VW smell. Hey! Douglas Smythe! PAA needs to make a scent called Wolfsburg!!

My friend in the late 90s had an 80s Porsche 911. It had the same VW smell. Hey! Douglas Smythe! PAA needs to make a scent called Wolfsburg!!

I used to have a 1985 911 and always loved the smell of that interior. I kind of forgot about it until I read your post and now I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

I used to have a 1985 911 and always loved the smell of that interior. I kind of forgot about it until I read your post and now I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.
Yeah...its a quite distinct smell. I remember getting in his car and saying "it has that VW smell!!"

proxy.php

+1

Quite the thread!

I have no problem with Merkur blades, other than cost.
I've used Merkur Super Platinum blades twice. The first time about 6 or 7 years ago. It was just an average shave, so I never thought about trying them again. Then, I tried another Merkur blade earlier this year after finding it in a box of random shaving stuff. Well, that blade was a revelation.

The first shave was nothing to write home about; it felt draggy and dull. I thought about chucking it, but recalled a review describing Merkur blades feeling sharper as the coating wore down, so I gave it another try. The second shave was much better, so maybe there was something to that idea. Then, I tried it a third time and it suddenly was very good! I managed to get six more good shaves out of it before it went completely down the tubes. That blew my mind considering the terrible reviews that these blades get.

I thought about buying a pack to see if that was an anomaly, but as you and FireDragon noted, the price is absolutely ridiculous. It was $10 for 10 blades! For a few bucks more, you can get a 100-pack of Astras or another reputable brand.

But, it did get me wondering whether Merkur blades have a bad reputation because they really are as crappy as everybody says... or if some of the bad press comes from people who are new to wet shaving. With all the noobs starting with Merkur 34c razors, I suspect that many experience their first shaves with the included blade.

So, are they blaming the blade when the problem is actually poor technique? Or did I get good shaves because I'm rigorous about my technique? It's an unpleasant thought, but I might have to buy a pack of Merkur blades to test that theory.

I've used Merkur Super Platinum blades twice. The first time about 6 or 7 years ago. It was just an average shave, so I never thought about trying them again. Then, I tried another Merkur blade earlier this year after finding it in a box of random shaving stuff. Well, that blade was a revelation.

The first shave was nothing to write home about; it felt draggy and dull. I thought about chucking it, but recalled a review describing Merkur blades feeling sharper as the coating wore down, so I gave it another try. The second shave was much better, so maybe there was something to that idea. Then, I tried it a third time and it suddenly was very good! I managed to get six more good shaves out of it before it went completely down the tubes. That blew my mind considering the terrible reviews that these blades get.

But, it did get me wondering whether Merkur blades have a bad reputation because they really are as crappy as everybody says... or if some of the bad press comes from people who are new to wet shaving. With all the noobs starting with Merkur 34c razors, I suspect that many experience their first shaves with the included blade.

So, are they blaming the blade when the problem is actually poor technique? Or did I get good shaves because I'm rigorous about my technique? It's an unpleasant thought, but I might have to buy a pack of Merkur blades to test that theory.

The tools/technique issue is always present. My own experience is similar to yours so I never recommend Merkur to a new DE shaver. After shaving for a year or so, I tried a Merkur blade in a UK Aristocrat Jr. Fantastic!! BBS all the way. So it may also be a question of finding the right Razor/blade combination for a particular face.

Top Bottom