What's new

Bourbon for beginners

I recently picked up a bottle of Longbranch, by Wild Turkey. It is quite smooth - and has quickly become one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hard to beat for the price.

brbon_mak13.jpg

I'd love to purchase 'my entire barrel' - take the end cap for the wall at home - even if they had to bottle it first. However, somewhere along the way, my body rebelled against the effects of alcohol in any quantities other than 'cooking' amounts. I figured then a few more years earned at the price of a lot less drink was probably worth it. (I could change my mind, depending though, some point in the future...)

Enjoy it while it's still your friend Brother!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd love to purchase 'my entire barrel' - take the end cap for the wall at home - even if they had to bottle it first. However, somewhere along the way, my body rebelled against the effects of alcohol in any quantities other than 'cooking' amounts. I figured then a few more years earned at the price of a lot less drink was probably worth it. (I could change my mind, depending though, some point in the future...)

Enjoy it while it's still your friend Brother!

Its not the close friend of mine it once was either, but we still get along pretty well.

I've had a bottle of Blantons on my counter for two years or so now. Its about half gone. My bottle of Jim Beam I think is almost 20 years old lol, but the Mark 46 doesnt last a month.

Here are 4 great choices that are pretty easy to find, and all in the $30-ish range:

Eagle Rare, Larceny, Four Roses, Basil Hayden

Bourbon is all about palate. For instance there is a lot of hype behind Weller 12, I got a bottle and was highly disappointed. E.H. Taylor Single Barrel - people love it and I thought it tasted like we moldy wheat smells (grew up on a wheat farm). My point being is everyone's palate is different, just because some like it doesn't mean you will. I've got close to 90 bottles of bourbon in my house and some of them are okay, some are great, and others are excellent. There are nights where my "go-to's" just don't hit my palate right and other I've brushed off hit it just right.

In some aspects bourbon is like wine and it needs to get some air and will open a little more. Another bottle that has a lot of hype is Elmer T. Lee, I had 10 bottles at one time, one night I opened one and thought it was complete swill. Again, didn't understand they hype or why on secondary markets it was selling for 3 x retail. Almost 2 years later, after I had got rid of all my unopened bottles, I decided to give it another try. Simply by sitting open and with that one pour out it it turned into a complete different, delicious bottle of whiskey. I quickly regretted my decision to pass off the others.

IMO there are some great "bottom shelf" bourbon's that drink like top shelf bourbons and vice versa. My suggestion would be find a whiskey bar [with decent prices] and sample some. Try is neat, with an ice cube or few drops of water. Ice/Water will "open" the bourbon up, it will alter the profile some, and different flavors will raise their heads up. Personally I find the higher the proof the more flavor and an ice cube or two will knock the burn down. If you're eating snacks or a meal or swap to a different bourbon cleanse your palate with some water and then have a go at it. Through trial and error you'll eventually find your favorites and the ones that just don't taste right to you. Realistically there is no easy answer to what is a good beginner bourbon. They're all good beginner bourbons if they agree with you palate.

I have been into wine since the late 80's I worked in the Napa Valley as a tour guide at a small winery. I learned how to appreciate the various nuances of wines.

I am starting to get an interest in trying bourbon. I just watched an interesting documentary on bourbon called Neat. It made me want to learn more. I'm in my mid 50's and have never really tried whiskey.

I have decided to start with Bourbon whiskey. If I like it and want to learn more, I will try other whiskeys.

Why I am posting today is, as I have been looking at a good bourbon to start with, I have come to find that there are almost as many whiskey makers as wine makers.

I am looking for one or two good whiskeys to start. I am not one for mixed drinks. The most I would add is ice or water. I am looking for a good starter whiskey for sipping vs mixing.

Any advice?

Makers Mark is excellent. A 1rst Class sipping bourbon used be me on special occasions. My everyday bourbon is Old Forester which often use to make Old Fashions (a bourbon mixed drink). If you wish to get into some of the finest bourbons made, I'd recomend the single barrel Four Roses. Happy sipping... Dan

In my eyes, if you really enjoy wine. I would recommend trying s good brandy or cognac. Korbel vsop is good for the money fairly rounded flavor.

Buffalo Trace Distillery: Buffalo Trace, then move up. Soooo many very good to excellent bourbons from Buffalo Trace, right up to the Stagg and Pappy offerings.
Four Roses Distillery: Yellow Label and move up
Beam Suntory: Skip the entry level stuff (Jim Beam White and Black Label) and move to Knob Creek Small Batch. Basil Hayden, Bookers, and Bakers, are higher end and very nice. Maker's Mark is a wheater from Beam Suntory to try as well, but the Cask Strength is much better.
Brown Foreman: Woodford Reserve and Old Forester

This is good advice. research these main distilleries and what they offer and start slightly above their bottom shelf offerings.

Buffalo Trace produces the most award winning bourbons out there
Beam Suntory is now the largest distillery (I think anyways) Their Basil Hayden is a very beginner friendly sip and has that spice you might enjoy.

If you like a spicy palate, go for mashbills with a high rye content (Basil Hayden is among them)

The price on these are very reasonable (well below $50)and they are smooth.

Maker's Mark:
proxy.php

Evan Williams Single Barrel:
proxy.php

Larceny:
proxy.php

Write down what you like and don't like about these bottles....are they to smooth, not full enough flavor for you, etc.

*** I highly recommend you go to you favorite bars and sample shots or if your bar tender will allow a "whisper" for free...if that's enough to enhance you to purchase a shot. Maybe add a few drops of water and wait a minute or two and sample the same brand to see how you like it. Try the samples with a cube of ice....experiment.

*** Take a little note pad and jot down the brand and if you liked or disliked it. That way when you go to a different bar or party or even a liquor store you'll know what to request or purchase.

Bourbon and American Whiskey is very subjective with opinions and even YouTube reviewers can disagree about the same brand or bottle.

Sample, sample, sample........did I mention sample, to find out what YOU like. This is an ongoing process and over the years I have tried so many different brands my liquor cabinet at home in Oklahoma is filling up and my Vegas condo liquor cabinet is starting to fill up.

Have fun....cheers!!:c2:

Top Bottom