What's new

Bought a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots before realizing they're made in China.

Shame on me, I guess, for not doing my homework better. I got an amazing deal on the Winchester boot in tan. So good that I couldn't pass on it and didn't research that model before pulling the trigger.

Here's hoping I still love them when they arrive. I want to ask if any of you have experience with the Chinese "1000 Mile" boots, but I'm almost afraid of your answers. It isn't that I have a particular prejudice against Chinese goods, but I expect Chinese goods to have an appropriate price tag. Even with the steal I got, it wasn't a number I'm especially comfortable spending on a product manufactured in China.

It isn't that I have a particular prejudice against Chinese goods, but I expect Chinese goods to have an appropriate price tag. Even with the steal I got, it wasn't a number I'm especially comfortable spending on a product manufactured in China.

I won't be much help, but I have a particular prejudice against Chinese goods. I try to stay away from them, but sometimes it's impossible.

Wow, those are really expensive boots. How can you tell the Chinese from the US model?

I won't be much help, but I have a particular prejudice against Chinese goods. I try to stay away from them, but sometimes it's impossible.

Wow, those are really expensive boots. How can you tell the Chinese from the US model?

I think that only the "1000 Mile" boots from the 1000 Mile Collection are made in the US. The others (Gentlemen, Garrison, etc) are Chinese even though they're part of the 1000 Mile Collection. Kinda confusing, really.

I thought they were all American Made in that collection! I think most people think so too...You must research and read or some Chinese manufacturers will rob you blind.
IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they were all American Made in that collection! I think most people think so too...You must research and read or Chinese manufacturers will rob you blind.
IMHO

That's kinda how it feels, unfortunately. I'm trying to get over it and just hope against hope that they're excellent boots anyway. That said, this purchase didn't scratch my itch to own a pair of high quality American made boots. I think Red Wing gets my money next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
correct.. if they are from the 1000 mile collection they are make in the USA. what did you buy? btw, most Red Wings are no longer made in USA.

I got the Winchester boot in tan from the Gentlemen Collection... sub-collection... of the 1000 Mile Collection. I knew about Red Wing outsourcing their labor too. I've wanted Iron Rangers for a long time though and I know those are still made here.

It is difficult to find shoes or boots for the mass market that are not made in China today. I try to purchase made in the USA as much as I can, and I have found websites that are selling only products made in the US.

I think you should save your review of the boots until they arrive. Just as there is garbage still made in the US, there are phenomenal products made overseas, including China. It's not where they are made, it's how. I'm interested to hear what you think when you get them.

These aren't Chinese boots, they are Wolverine boots that happen to be made in China, hopefully to some exacting standards set forth by Wolverine. It works for Apple.

Having said that, Wolverine should do a better job of informing people that only the boots in the 1000-Mile collection of the 1000-Mile boots are made in the USA.

Also, the Rockford boots look pretty nice.

Last edited:
I think you should save your review of the boots until they arrive. Just as there is garbage still made in the US, there are phenomenal products made overseas, including China. It's not where they are made, it's how. I'm interested to hear what you think when you get them.

Wise words. I am trying to temper my disappointment until I know whether it's well founded. I'm hoping it isn't.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have gotten to the point of assuming that something IS made in China unless I can see specific proof that it isn't. Oh well, hopefully they are made to high standards.

I thought they were all American Made in that collection! I think most people think so too...You must research and read or the Chinese will rob you blind.
IMHO

Well, it's not the Chinese robbing him blind ... his beef is with Redwing for not being clear enough about where their boots are made. We can't blame the confusion on the Chinese here.

You might be surprised when they arrive if they turn out to be nice quality. I have no idea of the shoes you are talking about but pics when they arrive :D

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the input fellas.
Let's keep it civil please.
Better to step back than step in it.

Was someone talking about boots here?

Top Bottom