What's new

Booze for Butterscotch

I finally bought an ice cream maker, and the results have been great! I started with Fergus Henderson's Bitter Chocolate, as well as a Blackberry sorbet using berries I picked near my apartment, and they were both splendid. However, after finding a butterscotch recipe through Ruhlman's blog, I have found my next target.

The problem: The recipe calls for bourbon. :confused: I'm not a big drinker, but I don't want to buy a $5 bottle of swill that won't serve any other purpose.

The question: What's a good bourbon (or other fine beverage) that won't break the bank (<$30), but would also be worth drinking in its own right?

If it's worth anything, I generally prefer gin, higher-quality beers, wine, and aged rum (that order), but have no experience with whiskeys of any sort.

Cheers,
Judd

www.SmittenKitchen.com said:
Butterscotch Ice Cream
Adapted from Sunset Magazine

Makes one quart

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons bourbon (optional)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
6 large egg yolks (hint: if you make a hazelnut brown butter cake, you should have these in your fridge already!)

1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir brown sugar and butter until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved, and mixture is bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup whipping cream until smooth; remove butterscotch mixture from heat. Add vanilla and bourbon, if using.

2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine remaining 1 cup whipping cream and the half-and-half; bring to a simmer.

3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat egg yolks to blend. Whisk 1/2 cup of the warm cream mixture into egg yolks, then pour egg yolk mixture into pan with cream. Stir constantly over low heat just until mixture is slightly thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.

4. Pour through a fine strainer into a clean bowl and whisk in butterscotch mixture. Chill until cold, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours; or cover and chill up to 1 day.

5. Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve softly frozen, or transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 1 week.

Note: If you serve with espresso-chocolate shortbread cookies, your friends might never leave. Proceed with caution.

BTW, I'm definitely considering the shortbread cookies mentioned at the end of the recipe. Yum! :biggrin:

Links:
http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2008/03/butterscotch-sa.html
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/03/butterscotch-ice-cream/
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/espresso-chocolate-shortbread-cookies/

I'm not sure why but when I read your post Maker's Mark came to mind. Strange because I have a Woodford Reserve in my hand now.

Woodford Reserve is great, another suggestion would be Knob Creek. I recently tried Canadian Mist whiskey, cheap whiskey, but not too shabby.

Honestly, you could leave it out and it'll still taste great.

Yeah, but I can always use a reason to try new liquor. :biggrin:

I'm not sure why but when I read your post Maker's Mark came to mind. Strange because I have a Woodford Reserve in my hand now.

Woodford Reserve is great, another suggestion would be Knob Creek.

These three are all available nearby, so what's the opinion on these for drinking? Would scotch work well with this? I've been wanting to try Glenlivet. . . :cool:

I drink both of those straight, and even though Knob Creek is 100 proof, it is nicely smooth. Woodford Reserve is more like candy for me.

Would scotch work well with this? I've been wanting to try Glenlivet. . . :cool:

I don't see why Scotch wouldn't work. I'm very new to Scotch myself, so take this with a splash of spring water, but I MUCH prefer Glenfiddich to The Glenlivet. It seems more newbie friendly to me.

Edit: Well how could it be butterscotch without Scotch?

bushmills white label, its a decent irish whiskey thats under $20 (costs 12 euros here) and is widly recommended,

+1 on the Maker's Mark. It's a little too sweet, if I had to complain at all, and well under your $30 line.

The Knob Creek idea is good, too. Very nice stuff.

Hmm. . . So its down to Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark. I've been considering WR for a while; something about it seems appealing. I'll do some shopping and post my results later. Thanks a lot, guys! :biggrin:

Top Bottom