What's new

Boiled Eggs

Just add a couple tablespoons of distilled vinegar into the cooking liquid. I've cooked and peeled more eggs than you care to know about...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think I'd rather go through all the trouble of dealing with the water to boil than placing eggs in a frappin muffin tin. That's a "hack"?

"Hey, folks! Here's a weird way to do something that's already easy, and in only twice the time!"

I think I'd rather go through all the trouble of dealing with the water to boil than placing eggs in a frappin muffin tin. That's a "hack"?

"Hey, folks! Here's a weird way to do something that's already easy, and in only twice the time!"
I feel the same way but thought I'd post it FYI.

I got that impression from you. What some folks will do, huh?
Yeah. Guess it works. But far from efficient. Love having hard boiled eggs handy in the fridge.

That's hard boiled, not hard baked, [emoji6]

But seriously it's one of nature's most perfect foods.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
But seriously it's one of nature's most perfect foods.

I couldn't agree more, equalled only by other forms of perfectly cooked egg (or steak, or bacon, or schweisnhaxen, or green beans, or artichokes, or . . . dadgummit)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Now is there a method that guarantees getting a 'clean peel' when using nice fresh eggs? Or just keep holding back the 'fresh ones' 'til they become 'mature ones' for doing boiled eggs.

dave

I buy farm fresh eggs just up the road. I mentioned that I was making pickled eggs and was told to add a little vinegar while boiling. Does it make a difference . . . I don't know. That batch worked ok.

Thanks Mike, will give the vinegar a go. Buy our eggs at the local farmers market, they must be fresh as they look like a lunar landscape when finished peeling those that are hard boiled. I've been dating the cartons upon purchase and holding a few eggs back for the hard boiled needs. The olds results is a night/day difference.

dave

It makes sense that vinegar being an acid would dissolve some of the calcium carbonate eggshell but I haven't been using vinegar. I'll have to try it and see if it makes a difference.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I see "AnotherChef" mentioned the vinegar up a way. I guess that confirms the tip from my local egg seller.

A side benefit is if any of the eggs are cracked and leak, the leaked egg should congeal quicker and make less of a mess.

Top Bottom