What's new

Boiled Eggs

Method I learned in culinary school in 2000 is fool proof and works beautifully. Cold water to cover the eggs in a pot, add salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cook 6 minutes (high altitude add 1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and shock in ice water. This method works weather you have one or 100 eggs. Peel while warm. I put them in a Tupperware bowl with a lid and shake them around to make the shells easy to remove.

Method I learned in culinary school in 2000 is fool proof and works beautifully. Cold water to cover the eggs in a pot, add salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cook 6 minutes (high altitude add 1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and shock in ice water. This method works weather you have one or 100 eggs. Peel while warm. I put them in a Tupperware bowl with a lid and shake them around to make the shells easy to remove.

Now is there a method that guarantees getting a 'clean peel' when using nice fresh eggs? Or just keep holding back the 'fresh ones' 'til they become 'mature ones' for doing boiled eggs.

dave

My ancient Betty Crocker cook book states to start with cold water at least an inch over the eggs, bring to boil and let sit. 2-3 minutes for soft boiled eggs, 22-24 for hard boiled. The Betty Crocker website recipe states 18 minutes for hard boiled. So guess whatever time works for you.

Just made a batch using 18 minutes. Cut one up and made a sandwich outta one. Tasted great with a little mayo, salt & pepper.

Yes there is...

America's Test Kitchen did a big thing on boiled eggs - soft boiled eggs to be exact. They found that steaming was the best method and after doing it more than a dozen times myself, I concur. They went through a crazy number of eggs and tried everything and came up with this:

In a pan bring only about 1 and 1/2 inches of water to boil. Set your eggs in and cover pan with lid and set the timer for 6 and 1/2 minutes. When the timer goes off lift the eggs out of the pan and run under cold water for a bit. Cut off the top, sprinkle with a little Le Saunier De Camargue Fleur De Sel Sea Salt and some freshly cracked pepper and done.

By using so little water in the pan and steaming the eggs the water temperature doesn't drop when the eggs are put in - no matter how many you put in. Apparently this is a critical factor when boiling eggs. Anyway, it's worked great for me and takes all of the guesswork out the voodoo and hearsay of boiling eggs ;-)
The best way!

Got my older son this egg steamer that he uses all the time, works great.
proxy.php

Now is there a method that guarantees getting a 'clean peel' when using nice fresh eggs? Or just keep holding back the 'fresh ones' 'til they become 'mature ones' for doing boiled eggs.

dave

Now that is a good question. The method I outlined above will work on fresh eggs but you really have to take your time peeling them and some won't be super pretty. So my answer would be it is hit or miss with fresh. The key, I think, is to peel them while they are warm (talking about fresh, here). I say use fresh eggs for other cooking purposes and use older eggs for boiled egg. My father in law has chickens so we get fresh eggs all the time.

The green ring is from overcooking the egg, not the method of cooking.

That said, stop boiling your eggs!!!! STEAM THEM.

6 Large Eggs

1" if water in a saucepan
Bring water to a boil.
Add eggs to steamer basket and steam for 13 minutes. (For hard boiled)

Place eggs, immediately into an ice bath for 15 minutes.

Peel immediately.

Never a problem with peeling, never an over cooked green ring yolk.

Trust me on this. (Other sized eggs will require experimentation on your part.)

I like using a pot starting with cold water to do 1 1/2 dozen at a time. But to make and consume immediately, the steamer works great for my son. It's pretty fast, gives consistent results and has a loud obnoxious alarm that you can't miss. I also got him the "Rosle Egg Cracker/Topper" that makes it easy to get into them. He's all about easy and won't make them if it's not easy enough.
proxy.php

I have that egg topper as well - works like a champ!

I like using a pot starting with cold water to do 1 1/2 dozen at a time. But to make and consume immediately, the steamer works great for my son. It's pretty fast, gives consistent results and has a loud obnoxious alarm that you can't miss. I also got him the "Rosle Egg Cracker/Topper" that makes it easy to get into them. He's all about easy and won't make them if it's not easy enough.
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I looked up an egg salad recipe. They said to put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, turn off the burner, and cover for 10 minutes. I got distracted and the water boiled for a minute. I turned the burner off, covered the pan, and went to get an Arnold Palmer's Half & Half from Racetrac. I just cut the first egg- the yoke is firm and moist, with no hint of green. I have been overcooking hard boiled eggs all of these years. I am glad this thread was started, as it others here have confirmed what the recipe said to do. Now I want to try deviled eggs again. In the past mine have always seemed a bit dry.

I haven't done a hard boiled egg in ages

For soft boiled I start with a pan of cold water only enough to cover 1/2 of the egg.

I get the water to a boil then with tongs put the egg(s) into the water

return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 7 minutes.

Remove from heat and run cold water over.

I like my eggs warm so I do not cool them completely.

Now if I only had one of those slick egg toppers I would be all set. Whacking with a knife always leaves "debris" to crunch on but as long as it is just me eating them who cares

proxy.php

Now if I only had one of those slick egg toppers I would be all set. Whacking with a knife always leaves "debris" to crunch on but as long as it is just me eating them who cares
The topper is pretty cool. Whacks a nice clean crack. We don't try to remove the top part of the shell like that picture I linked to, we just cut through the egg at the line. Always scrape out at least one top for our beagle, [emoji6] We bought some egg cups and spoons. We're usually too lazy to use the cups then have to wash them. Just put the eggs on a plate with some toast. The egg spoons are kinda handy for eating the soft boiled eggs though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I assume that we're all talking about the same size egg, here? If not, then everyone is talking apples and oranges.

I do the "start with cold water, bring to a boil, cut the fire, cover, and wait" method, but the wait time varies a good deal, depending on egg size. It's usually 14 minutes or so for jumbo eggs, 12 for large, 10 for medium.

I use medium eggs for my pickled eggs.

That's a good point. I typically buy the larger eggs but probably should pay more attention to that when cooking them.

I fill a pan with cool tap water, add the eggs, bring JUST to a boil, shut off heat and cover for 10 minutes. To peel. drain hot water, roll the eggs in the pan to lightly crack the shells, cover with cold water for 5 minutes. (This seems to help loosen the shells.)

yea thats what i do.

True egg story (family lore):

My great-grandfather, who was a historian and scholar traveled a lot on business. The following event took place in the 1930s. My grandfather, while traveling was always concerned with the cleanliness of the food he would eat. That trait runs in the family and out of my generation, it affects mostly my poor brother. Anyway, Great-grandfather stayed at a hotel, and being worried about tainted food, he decided to order two hard-boiled eggs for breakfast. What's cleaner than a hardboiled egg, right? So the hostess brings him his eggs and coffee and, being a worry wart, he asks the lady if she is sure the eggs are hardboiled, because he can't stand runny yolks. So the lady says, "Oh yes, the eggs are hardboiled alright. I poked them with my hairpin to make sure!" Great-grandfather was not a happy, but a very hungry man that day.

Top Bottom