What's new

Boiled and Blackened My Slim :~

My Slim is (was?) a good looker but the last quarter locking turn has always been a little sticky and since I have had such good results boil-cleaning my Fat Boy and assorted SS's, I thought I would treat Slim to a nice hot bath in two minutes of boiling water on a steamer in a Revere Ware sauce pan with a splash each of dish detergent and white vinegar.

Slim came out very clean and the tightness of the quarter turn loosened up just a bit.

But the doors now have black cast to their plating, just like the sides of the Revere Ware pan.

Any suggestions on reversing this or do I just need to live with it?

Im not sure, but it could be the vinegar. I learned early on to keep away vinegar from plated metal. It easily strips away the nickel plating.

I never use anything stronger than dish soap, almost boiling water, and time for a razor soak. I cringe every time I hear someone using (or planning on using) vinegar, CLR, boiling water, Brasso, steel wool, etc.

Scrubbing bubbles is all you need to keep your razors shiney and nice looking. If you have any rust spots just spray with WD40 and use a tooth brush to wisk them away. Then spray and soak with the scrubbing bubbles. The only way I boil a razor is to get the water boiling, add a drop of dawn dish washing liquid, remove from heat and using a pair of tongs add the razor and leave it until the water cools. Rinse, scrubbing bubbles and rinse. And if the tto knob is sticking I may add some mineral oil to the end.

Thanks for comments, especially Dadvest...

I think I did overdo the boiling as well as the vinegar. As in "no vinegar". I don't what got me to thinking two minutes when boil, turn off heat then add razor only for a minute is what I have heard also as a best practice.

I will have to try Scrubbing Bubbles some day as well.

Good news... Wrights Silver Polish (non-abrasive) removed most of the darkening... this time.

I had one blackened a bit by heating up with vinegar a while ago and got it nice and shiny with that Never Dull wadded stuff. It came out better than ever. Good luck!

I've used Wright's Silver Cream as a finishing polish - it is quite mild and adds a protective layer to help keep the shine.

Top Bottom