What's new

Boar Brushes have their own soul.

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work? I've tried. I had 4. The only one I've kept is a Thater that cost me 90 bucks. It's been well broken it and I still don't really like it. The best I've used so far. I have to be doing something wrong. No complaints with my Chubby 2's in Super, Best and Synthetic. I WANT TO LOVE MY THATER BOAR but I can't. Apparently I'm a loser!
1. Did you break them in adequately? I've broken in several Semogues just by using them, and in anywhere between five to 15 shaves, they are comfortable and able to hold a good bit of lather. My Omega and Stirling boar brushes were able to be used and held enough lather during that same time, but they just weren't quite as comfortable. Until later . But most of my boar brushes, I thought were crap the first couple of times I used them. I had to go back to the tub and get soap before every single pass. But that is just a part of the process , and something that ends in the not-too-distant future.
2. Are you a face latherer?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work? I've tried. I had 4. The only one I've kept is a Thater that cost me 90 bucks. It's been well broken it and I still don't really like it. The best I've used so far. I have to be doing something wrong. No complaints with my Chubby 2's in Super, Best and Synthetic. I WANT TO LOVE MY THATER BOAR but I can't. Apparently I'm a loser!

I use boar brushes to bowl lather. That is where they work great for me. I like to use shave sticks and when I use a synthetic brush I get great results. Three pass shave if I need it. When it comes to boars I'm lucky if I get one good pass. I just can't seem to get a boar brush to work for me when I use a shave stick. I know I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

Boar brushes just seem to whip up a nice full lather in no time. They are just fun to use.

Thater_lather.JPG

Not to get off topic, but what method do you use for such a fast break-in?

Hey Wtd1911,

Don't laugh lol.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

No boar is safe from me rofl.

If you still can't hate your thater after this, I'll trade u any of my brushes.

Cheers,

Mawashi

If you still hate... Typo.

Btw don't mash the brush rather use it as if you're lathering your face but this time it's a shower brush lol.

I suggest trying a knot from Paragon. The break in time was very very fast and doesn't hog lather and the flow thru is very nice.

@Boar Fighter - Small update on the Vulfix no.28 piglet.

100% painter brush, with mostly trimmed bristles, large glue bump, doesn't splay, scrubby like pure badger but not prickly. Handle is ergonomic but very light and brittle plastic (same one used in their travel tubes).

The performance is very good as a painter brush. Picks up soap extremely well and lathers fast but has small water retention. It needs a bowl for best results, otherwise frequent dips in water are required.

In brief, not something you'd appreciate, but I found a good use for it outside my main brush rotation (small kit in different location).

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I'm not giving up on it. I guess I just expect it to be more badger like. I'm going to use it tonight.

@Boar Fighter - Small update on the Vulfix no.28 piglet.

100% painter brush, with mostly trimmed bristles, large glue bump, doesn't splay, scrubby like pure badger but not prickly. Handle is ergonomic but very light and brittle plastic (same one used in their travel tubes).

The performance is very good as a painter brush. Picks up soap extremely well and lathers fast but has small water retention. It needs a bowl for best results, otherwise frequent dips in water are required.

In brief, not something you'd appreciate, but I found a good use for it outside my main brush rotation (small kit in different location).

Thanks... Trimmed tips... Shame... It's like a castrated boar.

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work? I've tried. I had 4. ........ I have to be doing something wrong. ...... I WANT TO LOVE MY THATER BOAR but I can't. Apparently I'm a loser!

I don't own this one, but I'm a boar brush advocate, so let me take a shot at some suggestions that might help.

1. The brush has to be cleaned after acquisition. This includes simply soaking it (just the knot) in water for about 15 min so that the bristles don't absorb any of the cleaning agents I'm about to suggest next
2. After step one above, wash it thoroughly with a mild detergent - dish-washing liquid, shampoo (not shampoo+conditioner), pet shampoo.
3. Wash off the detergent and dry it thoroughly on a clean towel and leave it overnight to dry farther.
4. Break it in. It can be broken in through regular use, but I'm a fan of the fast 3-day break-in that I posted extensively on about a year ago. (The recent "use the boar brush as a body brush" thread seemed interesting ...)

That's it - that's all it should take.

Now, the only thing that I can think of that might have gone wrong is not enough time at step 1 in your case. So, to fix it, you could try just leaving the brush (knot only) in a cup of distilled water for about 30 min. That should enable any detergent or manufacturing detritus to be pulled out of the bristles. Then carry out the recommendations above.

Do try this and let us know if it worked to redeem the Thater for you..

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I'm not giving up on it. I guess I just expect it to be more badger like. I'm going to use it tonight.
I have gone on record in the past saying a well broken-in boar brush can provide the "wall of badger" feeling that many people enjoy. I personally enjoy the "wall of badger" feeling with the stiff backbone that the boar offers.
So I guess I'm saying that it is possible for your boar to be "more badger like". I don't own the Thater boar, so I have no idea of its specs or how it feels, but it can definitely improve immensely over what you describe

-Edit. To be clear, I'm not saying a boar brush is a badger brush, only that it can compete with a badger brush

112BCDCE-46D7-41ED-8329-B965C7CCC226.jpeg
098CFD90-B9F5-4C63-BC34-93EC98E243DE.jpeg
This Zenith has been heavily used over the past 3 years. Probably my favourite shaving utensil I own. Just keeps getting better and better, the more I use it. Not pretty, but a very “kind soul”.

Top Bottom