What's new

Boar Brushes have their own soul.

I own mostly synthetic brushes because I like them the best but every now and then I really enjoy using one of my boar brushes.
Boar brushes seem to have their own kind of soul. They have an almost personality of their own.
To me they are a different experience than a synthetic or a badger brush. Whereas a badger and a synthetic can have similarities the boar is a completely different shave. So I like to use one to really mix things up a bit now and then. What say you?

I agree. I expect that the way the user uses the brush also effects the way that the brush breaks in and performs. So even if two boar brushes started out identical, which is a near impossibility, they would deviate in different users hands after a short period. I rarely use anything but boar when I'm at home.

I agree. I expect that the way the user uses the brush also effects the way that the brush breaks in and performs. So even if two boar brushes started out identical, which is a near impossibility, they would deviate in different users hands after a short period.

Good observation. I agree with that.

Totally agree. There's some kind of bond or familiarity that is created when you work with a brush and watch it grow From a whisk broom into a soft luxurious piece of your daily routine.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I agree. I expect that the way the user uses the brush also effects the way that the brush breaks in and performs. So even if two boar brushes started out identical, which is a near impossibility, they would deviate in different users hands after a short period. I rarely use anything but boar when I'm at home.

I bought 2 exact models of the same boar brush (by accident on Ebay) and couldn't cancel the order. One of the Omega 80265's was a truly terrible brush, I couldn't get it to hold a lather and it kept shedding. The other 80265 was superb almost from it's first shave.

Even though I own a number of synth brushes, I can't seem to enjoy using them as much as a boar brush. With a boar brush there is the issue of breaking it in and they change with time, added with the scrubbyness and backbone I find boar brushes to be a joy to use.

I bought 2 exact models of the same boar brush (by accident on Ebay) and couldn't cancel the order. One of the Omega 80265's was a truly terrible brush, I couldn't get it to hold a lather and it kept shedding. The other 80265 was superb almost from it's first shave.

Even though I own a number of synth brushes, I can't seem to enjoy using them as much as a boar brush. With a boar brush there is the issue of breaking it in and they change with time, added with the scrubbyness and backbone I find boar brushes to be a joy to use.

I'm not sure if getting a terrible brush has anything to do with soul but I do agree that a boar brushes are quite unique.

Like fountain pens no 2 boars lather or feel the same. They tend to pick up characteristics from the users.

I'll say that boars will always have a place in my den cis they are great brushes for the price.

Speaking of boar, I wish Omega would make a larger mixed badger and boar since their 11047 is such a wonderful performer.

I'm not sure if getting a terrible brush has anything to do with soul but I do agree that a boar brushes are quite unique.

It was to illustrate that no 2 boar brushes even if the exact model are the same, as I bought two exact 80265 brushes and one was terrible and the other fantastic!

It was to illustrate that no 2 boar brushes even if the exact model are the same, as I bought two exact 80265 brushes and one was terrible and the other fantastic!

Hi zoidberg,

I got what you mean however, I was thinking variance and standard deviation between things like softness and and lather production for example.

Great vs terrible is an awfully wide range of standard deviation lol.

Great vs terrible is an awfully wide range of standard deviation lol.
Right! How is a guy supposed to recommend a brush to a friend? I know that we already warn new boar users that the brush needs to break in, but do we need to add that maybe their brush will never break in and they might need to try another of the same model? The only solution that I see is that you give your friend your prize broken in brush and take a chance on another.

Right! How is a guy supposed to recommend a brush to a friend? I know that we already warn new boar users that the brush needs to break in, but do we need to add that maybe their brush will never break in and they might need to try another of the same model? The only solution that I see is that you give your friend your prize broken in brush and take a chance on another.

Hey bluesman 7,

You're right about recommending stuff for friends, it ain't easy.

Touch wood but so far none of my boars have been duds and using a fast break in method, I can find out if any of them are duds without weeks or months of suffering with an unbroken boar.

Granted I don't have that much experience w boar brushes but I'm game to try n break in any boar in under hour.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Touch wood but so far none of my boars have been duds and using a fast break in method, I can find out if any of them are duds without weeks or months of suffering with an unbroken boar.

Granted I don't have that much experience w boar brushes but I'm game to try n break in any boar in under hour.
Happy shaves,
Mawashi

Not to get off topic, but what method do you use for such a fast break-in?

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work? I've tried. I had 4. The only one I've kept is a Thater that cost me 90 bucks. It's been well broken it and I still don't really like it. The best I've used so far. I have to be doing something wrong. No complaints with my Chubby 2's in Super, Best and Synthetic. I WANT TO LOVE MY THATER BOAR but I can't. Apparently I'm a loser!

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work? I've tried. I had 4. The only one I've kept is a Thater that cost me 90 bucks. It's been well broken it and I still don't really like it. The best I've used so far. I have to be doing something wrong. No complaints with my Chubby 2's in Super, Best and Synthetic. I WANT TO LOVE MY THATER BOAR but I can't. Apparently I'm a loser!

You can't get good lather with it, or not as good as the one from the chubbies?

What is the problem? "Not holding lather"? If yes, you may want to take a look at these:

Boar brush - can't get many passes

Load heavily and swirl, because the boar, is not selfish. So you need to apply lather on you and at the same time, have lather go deep into the knot, which is your lather reservoir for the next passes.

Am I the only one who can't get a Boar brush to work?
My guess is that it is more of a personal taste issue than bad luck on the brushes. I think that for sure you are not the only one. 'If we all liked the same thing, everyone would be after my wife'.

As far as lathering goes, my boars are every bit as efficient as the four synthetics that I've tried. I use the same amount of soap with any of them. The only one that I ever had a problem with was an SOC.

Top Bottom