What's new

Boar brush recommendations please

Brush can be simple as special for next to nothing off eBay, or sky is limit for special handle, with hair from special source costing big bucks.

Sort of like many things in life, run of the mill nothing special, or designer name in vogue demanding big bucks.

Smokey Bourbon, quit good, and pair with pricey Cigar good. It was special promo pricing, at local Cigar Bar so I said why not, it was great experience.

the proraso pro is my favorite boar atm. excellent knot overall, softer than my 10066 that still has some scritch, but with more backbone. I like my zenith bleached too, great backbone, great face feel, but it does not hold enough lather for my 3 passes. it might be a lather hog unfortunately.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have limited experience with boar brushes. This is my second DecemBOAR. I thinned the herd and have settled on 4 Zenith boars. I have two "regular" knots: bleached, a unbleached and a Wenghe. None of them are totally broken-in, I don't think, but they still feel nice on my face. I did well over a dozen wet/dry cycles when I first received them but I think they'll make some progress this month.

BoarBrushes.jpg

You can see they don't have much splitting of the bristles yet. It will be fun to watch their progress this month.

For strong backbone you might also look at the TurnNShave boar knot (with no gel treatment), or the Maggard boar knot. I have both and I've found them to offer a lot of backbone and density compared to most other boars I've tried.

I have tried many boar brushes made by Omega, Semogue and Zenith, including a Semogue in just about every boar knot and three SOC brushes - boar, 2-band finest badger and mistura.

I recently bought three Torga C5 brushes - boar, 2-band finest badger and mistura - and have concluded that maximus backbone can be found in a mistura. Even a stiff boar can get a bit of that wet rag feel. There is something special about the mistura - it has a softness yet retains lots of backbone when wet. I also prefer the shorter loft of the Torga C5 for face lathering.

Curious if anyone else shares my enthusiasm for the mistura and the Torga C5.

I have tried many boar brushes made by Omega, Semogue and Zenith, including a Semogue in just about every boar knot and three SOC brushes - boar, 2-band finest badger and mistura.

I recently bought three Torga C5 brushes - boar, 2-band finest badger and mistura - and have concluded that maximus backbone can be found in a mistura. Even a stiff boar can get a bit of that wet rag feel. There is something special about the mistura - it has a softness yet retains lots of backbone when wet. I also prefer the shorter loft of the Torga C5 for face lathering.

I do, my dear friend. I have the three SOC you mentioned and love them. But, Mistura is my favorite brush among them all. I have one in Cherry and I'm waiting for another in Butterscoth. As you very well said, it combines the best of both worlds. After reading your post I think my next one will be a Mistura Torga C5.

Thank you very much!
❤️🪒

I do, my dear friend. I have the three SOC you mentioned and love them. But, Mistura is my favorite brush among them all. I have one in Cherry and I'm waiting for another in Butterscoth. As you very well said, it combines the best of both worlds. After reading your post I think my next one will be a Mistura Torga C5.

Thank you very much!
❤️🪒

I bought the first Torga C5 in premium boar because I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of premium boar in the SOC. I was intrigued by the photos of older, shorter Semogue brushes I had seen and bought the C5 on a whim. It was love at first use and the rest is history.

It is easy to theorize Mistura as the worst of both worlds but in practice the two different bristles work amazingly well together. I only wish that Semogue would make the Torga C5 line in cherry wood and butterscotch.

I bought the first Torga C5 in premium boar because I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of premium boar in the SOC. I was intrigued by the photos of older, shorter Semogue brushes I had seen and bought the C5 on a whim. It was love at first use and the rest is history.

It is easy to theorize Mistura as the worst of both worlds but in practice the two different bristles work amazingly well together. I only wish that Semogue would make the Torga C5 line in cherry wood and butterscotch.
Exactly, my dear friend. It looks like they achieved a perfect balance in this brush. It is, indeed, a masterpiece.

What a wonderful idea the Torga C5 in Cherry and Butterscoth and even in Taj…they would look splendid!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

I ended up with this combo that I'm pretty happy with:
- C5 Torga premium boar / Resin
- SOC Mistura / Cherry
- SOC Finest / Cherry

The C5 Torga boar is a 24mm x 50mm loft knot. It is very densely packed and took many shaves to fully break in (40+ shaves I'd guess). While it has gotten softer after break-in, it feels like a solid wall of boar. No floppy feeling with this one.

There is no need to soak in the fridge for three days and all that jazz. No boiling hot water. Just use it, would be the best plan. Soak 3/4 length of the bristles for 5-10 minutes before each use in a mug of warm water, let it dry out completely before the next use. People always seem to want to complicate things beyond what's necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom