What's new

Boar, Badger, Synthetic - oh my!

In my experience, the anglers choosing to fish bait are typically older and more experienced - to me equating to boar and Badger brushes.

The newer or younger crowd typically reach for the shiny jigs and lures before even having left the dock.

Me - well I fish whatever the conditions suggest...
I was stealing a bit of the dialog and narration from "A River Runs Through It".

For me at this about 2 yrs now
I bought one of each
Italian Barber synthetic I loved the handle and looks Tricolor one
a Omega Boar brush forgot model cheap though :) red handle
Semogue Badger was about $75 ? Club something :) I did read enough that the badgers can vary so radical figured get one that is a decent starter to learn on

Bottom line I just have to try everything over a year and see what happens how I change why I change and know this is my own personal journey
when I find folks on the forum I relate to does help some of course !

I think this buying 3 and each one being a dif type and dif size has helped me some know the small differences of the hair types and sizes to start

for size the Omega boar is to big the Semogue is just about right the Synthetic can be a touch big feeling sometimes
so I have an idea on size :)

I do not like the prickly feeling of the synth (that is its own thing I reckon ) but do love the soft feel of it when more painting vs splay has to be light very light to avoid that prickly :)

I need to get a RV with the Muhle before they are gone I think :)

Based on those 3 the omega is to soft floppy for me I think is that the size or the backbone or the hair type so need to learn more about that :)

the synth maybe a touch to much backbone but that is the synth feel I hear “springy” once again the Semogue is my happy spot BUT I think I might want a touch more backbone than my semogue has ?

I want some control when it splays do not want it squishy or floppy and of course the synth is always going to have its own feel over natural I reckon :) so NOT trying to make a synth handle like the badger I just want the best synth performance for what it is :)

Same goes for the badger do not want it to replace or replicate the synth good points or replace its bad points I just want it to be what it is in best form

My 2nd Badger my first will be a SV Tortoise with pewter band besides hearing some love them I just love the looks ! And that will start my comparison to the height and loft and size and so on of the badgers

the synth most likely the RV Muhle and two from apeshaveco g5c and one of their other knots

reckon maybe a Xmas present to do the brush dive in thing :) hahahahaa

Will get all around the same time and do lots of fun comparisons :)

then will learn those and hope I can pick out the fine points i want to change as I gain even more experience and understanding of them :)
either realize I cant OR fine tune even more !

Also do not care about time so much anymore ? Used to want my top stuff and move on and while a goal I never realized the fine points of learning this are so huge really

So just having a ton of fun with something I never imagined can be a hobby I look forward to every day !!

And sharing so much fun with other shave nerds :)

In my experience, the anglers choosing to fish bait are typically older and more experienced - to me equating to boar and Badger brushes.

The newer or younger crowd typically reach for the shiny jigs and lures before even having left the dock.

Me - well I fish whatever the conditions suggest...
I miss fishing :)
used to do a lot of fly but mostly spear fishing (like 6 days a week at least) where you truly pick out what you want but also blue water fishing like Marlin and such I moved away from Maui sadly but oh well
some lakes around maybe wont be like landing a 1000 lb marlin or spearing a Ahi in blue water :)
google blue water spear fishing for fun ! If you did not see it before

that said we used to call the plugs/lure bait sometimes and that confused many :)

also on the boats we would drop lines to our dive destinations and often catch fish since most of us were also into fishing ! And like to eat them :)

I do not think those who just kinda fish in lakes or mainland understand the speed of blue water fish and even when going fast like 13-15 knots they would think NO WAY and we would catch granted when we knew fishing was good we would drop to the 8 or so knots that was best and even then they would be like man I cant imagine the fish catching it at this speed as the lure is breaking behind the boat :)

when you remind them the faster blue water fish can break 40MPH and most likely sees this as the slow fish to catch you can see the bulb light up and they smile :)

On the boats we used to run rod/reel but also handlines and was fun for folks who are into fishing but never blue water fished land a large fish on a handline !

There's lots of excellent pictures and descriptions here of all kinds. I started out with a smaller, bulb-shaped synthetic that a friend gave to me. I believe it's the Noble Otter 26mm synthetic. I don't use it anymore, but it was a fine, soft brush that bowl lathered decently and had good face feel.
As of now, I have an AP Shave Co. 30mm tuxedo fan. While some might not want it for its odd combination of properties, I really love it as a face lathering, bowl lathering, or hand lathering brush. It's soft, not very scritchy or scratchy, and has a good amount of backbone.

Attachments

• 6fywkm.jpg
    6fywkm.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 4

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I don't know, I think synthetic brushes are for bait fishermen while boar and badger brushes are for dry fly fisherman. Synthetics seem to be all the rage with younger guys and some lazy older guys. ;) I just received a Simpson's Trafalgar T2 synthetic and really don't care for it at all in spite of the fact it can lather soap. But the face feel? Nope.

I would take a $10 Omega boar brush anyday of the week if budget were my biggest concern (and I have a $10 Omega, a $20 Omega made for Proraso, and a $7 VdH (which to my amazement seems to be attached to its bristles) as well as a Semogue SOC Taj coming from Portugal directly. However, a nice silvertip badger or four is a pleasure to use. I have a couple of Kents, a T&H (Rooney), Edwin Jagger, and Vulfix mixed boar/badger (for those who can't decide). But if were a new shaver? A $10 Omega boar and done for at least a few months assuming you can get the brush dry before the next shave. Otherwise, buy two of them and alternate.
Thanks for being judgmental

Cool topic!

I only have experience with synthetic brushes so far. Of the inexpensive variety I really like the RazoRock Plissoft. I recently picked up a Rudy Vey with a Muhle STF knot and it’s blown me away with how soft it is. The only other synthetic I have any desire to try is An AP Shave G5C.

I’ve ordered, but not yet received, my first non-synthetic - a Semogue Mistura which is a mix of boar and badger. They get excellent reviews and from what I’ve read basically require zero break-in. I’m excited to try it.

I also want to try a badger brush of some kind. The Zenith Manchurian and Shavemac Silvertip are two on my radar.

Here are my current brushes.
View attachment 1510239

View attachment 1510240

I am going to pick up a 24mm Razorock or the Stirling 24mm 2 band, both pictured above. Which one do you prefer?

For over a year, I used a couple silvertip badgers and a soft floppy synthetic.

Recently I re-discovered boar brushes. I have a new Omega 830 and Semogue SOC. I use the soak overnight>scruff 5 minutes with rough towel> dry 24-48 hours> repeat> process. They are both breaking in nicely.

As to synthetics, I'm surprised @Phoenixkh hasn't chimed in.

I discovered the size, shape and loft of the knot plays as much if not more of a factor than the material.

Size, shape, and loft are all things I haven't really dived into yet. I remember reading on a wiki somewhere that 24mm knot size is pretty solid for beginners, but that's about as savvy as I am when it comes to those specs.

If anyone would like to share the differences these variables make, I'd love to hear it!

*** it might have been relevant to share this at the beginning, but here's a great jumping-off point for info on brushes, and can help inform us as we try new things and return & report our personal experiences here:

Size, shape, and loft are all things I haven't really dived into yet. I remember reading on a wiki somewhere that 24mm knot size is pretty solid for beginners, but that's about as savvy as I am when it comes to those specs.

If anyone would like to share the differences these variables make, I'd love to hear it!
SunShave

I have sensitive skin. Various fan shaped knots seems to be more gentle on my face and spreads the lather better than a bulb shape...for me. Others would rightfully have a different opinion.

Generally speaking, the shorter the height of the knot the stiffer or more backbone a brush will have. A taller knot will have less backbone. Since I am a daily shaver and have shorter stubble, I don't feel the need for a lot of backbone.
Personally, a fan shape 24-26 mm knot suits me.

For synthetic brushes, I like a Cashmere or G5C knot. The "C" indicates it is fan shaped. I have an Omega Evo 2.0 coming in the mail. I expect it to be similar to the G5C. There are other fan shapes like a Tuxedo knot.

I have carefully broken in 3 boars. The tips are now very soft and don't cause me any irritation as long as I use the brush gently. They also tend to develop a fan shape with use.

A good badger brush is a luxury! Unfortunately only one of mine is fan shaped. That is how I discovered I am a "fan" type guy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For over a year, I used a couple silvertip badgers and a soft floppy synthetic.

Recently I re-discovered boar brushes. I have a new Omega 830 and Semogue SOC. I use the soak overnight>scruff 5 minutes with rough towel> dry 24-48 hours> repeat> process. They are both breaking in nicely.

As to synthetics, I'm surprised @Phoenixkh hasn't chimed in.

I discovered the size, shape and loft of the knot plays as much if not more of a factor than the material.
I am less of a synth guy now. As some of you know, we are in Bali for some dental work with some vacation thrown in. I chose to take my two Semogue Mistura brushes with me instead of any of my synth brushes. I love the natural fiber gentle scrub.

The three synth brushes I still like are the Omega Evo (Original, I haven't tried the 2.0), the ESC Ultimate G4 and a FB group buy Alpha Shaving G5"D", whatever that is. It's very similar to the ESC Ultimate G4... close enough so I can't really tell any difference, truth be told. That's ok since the Ultimate was my first and favorite synth until I got an Evo.

I quite like the Manchurian brushes I have: SV; Zenith; Elite Razor. At this point, I'd have to say.... the badgers are my favorites, though the Mistura brushes are a very close second and a heck of a lot cheaper. I'll be using my Butterscotch (my wife continues to roll her eyes at that description... "ummmm that's an orange handle and I don't like it." in an hour or so when I shower and shave and we head off to get some breakfast. It's 7:15AM here. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Omega makes good boars. So do Zenith and others.

OmegaBoars.9-27-18.640.JPG

Above are some Omega boars.

The brush below is an unbleached boar from Your Shaving. You need one of these. The break in process is slow. Once you've washed the brush put it through dry to wet to dry cycles and towel rubs. Use the brush.

Please do not use hot water and especially not boiling water.

Rule of thumb: You should be comfortable holding your hand in the "hot" water as long as you're holding your brush in the water.

9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

The copper handled Zenith Manchurian is very soft by any standard. A reasonable standard means including backbone and scrub as part of the package. I'm not saying a knot has to be super scrubby like a Brillo pad. Not at all. I like what I call delicious scrub. These Zeniths Manchurians have it. Good boars have their own similar and delicious scrub.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

Stirling finest brushes are pretty good, and certainly very good for the money. There are others, too, about which I and others have posted.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Omega makes good boars. So do Zenith and others.

View attachment 1514764

Above are some Omega boars.

The brush below is an unbleached boar from Your Shaving. You need one of these. The break in process is slow. Once you've washed the brush put it through dry to wet to dry cycles and towel rubs. Use the brush.

Please do not use hot water and especially not boiling water.

Rule of thumb: You should be comfortable holding your hand in the "hot" water as long as you're holding your brush in the water.

View attachment 1514765

The copper handled Zenith Manchurian is very soft by any standard. A reasonable standard means including backbone and scrub as part of the package. I'm not saying a knot has to be super scrubby like a Brillo pad. Not at all. I like what I call delicious scrub. These Zeniths Manchurians have it. Good boars have their own similar and delicious scrub.

View attachment 1514772

Stirling finest brushes are pretty good, and certainly very good for the money. There are others, too, about which I and others have posted.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, is that Zenith boar (B15?) as densely packed as it looks? You have me considering a Zenith instead of a Torga for a short and scrubby.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, is that Zenith boar (B15?) as densely packed as it looks? You have me considering a Zenith instead of a Torga for a short and scrubby.

According to how I look at it, yes. I don't know the model numbers, but mine's the unbleached from Your Shaving. The unbleached are a good bit different from the bleached boars. Both are good. I like unbleached better I think, but both are good.

2-10-22.Semogue.Spanish.LE.Boar. Mistura.640.JPG

I have these LE brushes by Semogue. The brush on the left is boar. I like it very much.

My other Semogue boar is the SOC. I don't much like it.

Other than that I don't know much about Semogue boars. I've more experience with Omega and Zenith boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom