What's new

Blank razor blade?

Hello all,

When I started wet shaving a month or so ago, I purchased a sampler pack of blades. I've tried most of them now, and just today started using the last type that was included. The reason I saved it for last is because I have no idea what it is. It came wrapped in a translucent, slightly plasticky.waxy paper. There is also no writing or image of any kind on the blade. The paper was held on with two wax dots, slightly larger than I've seen on other brands, but they wiped off easily with a little tissue paper.

Does anyone have any idea what brand of blade this might be? Are there brands known for going under the radar like this?

Thanks!

Greg

Kai are blank, and come in a plain white blade wrapper. They are comparatively expensive, high-quality blades with unique characteristics - thick and wide. I like them a lot, though I keep track of when I'm shaving with one because they do respond differently.

Happy shaving,
Tim

Graydog

Biblical Innards
proxy.php

Maybe This

Thanks for the heads up about Kai, everyone. I'm using it for the first time tomorrow morning...would I be able to recognize it by feel? I've read that Kai is sharper than most, more like a Feather than anything else.

Greg

My experience is that Kai increase the aggressiveness of the razor a bit. For example, with most blades I used the 5 or 6 plate on my Rockwell; with the Kai I used 4 or 5. As said above, take it slow and you'll be fine.

The Crystal made in Israel have no marking either so could be one of those. A mediocre blade for me. It was bought in a supermarket so one of the lower grade Crystal blades.

The Crystal made in Israel have no marking either so could be one of those. A mediocre blade for me. It was bought in a supermarket so one of the lower grade Crystal blades.

Hmm, that could be the one. My experience with it has been about average. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts for me.

Probably not necessary...my wife's a nurse. Also, I don't think its a Kai. It was about average (of those I've tried) for sharpness, not even close to the Feather.

Greg

While my face absolutely prefers sharp blades such as Feather, Polsilver etc., KAI was a very poor blade for me that felt dull despite trying 2-3 blades. I’m sure KAI makes an excellent blade but as YMMV prevails, it was savagery on my face. Most confusing aspect was how dull it felt to me despite my knowledge otherwise.

Point is, the mystery blade very well could be a KAI despite your experience not being what others perceive it as.

Good point. It's interesting to think about what could happen if we each tried a dozen different blades from different manufacturers, without any marking on them. A blind test. I wonder if we would find ourselves with the same blade preferences as before. As a social scientist, I'm fully aware of the powerful influence perceptions have on decision-making and even felt experience, and there is no reason that wouldn't play out in shaving as well.

Greg

I like the idea of messaging the seller. It was from Amazon, so I know I can figure it out. Why didn't I think of that!

Greg

And....

A blade that works in razor 1 may not work in razor 2.

A blade that works fine if you shave daily may not perform well if you shave three times a week.

A blade that is great for a two pass shave may not work for a four pass one.

Fun, huh?

All the Crystals I've used have "SUPER + PLATINUM", a large arrow, and "PAT. NO. 3071856" printed on the blades, and "super * Platinum" with the "super" inside a blue circle printed on the wrappers. The drugstore/supermarket blades also made in Israel come in special dispensers instead of paper wrappers, and have little arrows printed on them.

Top Bottom