What's new

Blake's Journal

I started getting interested in traditional shaving in late November 2017. After watching many videos and reading many articles I ordered an EJ DE89 from Amazon. It arrived in early December.

I can't honestly say I'm in love with the DE razor. (More on that in future posts.) Nor can I say that I got interested in traditional shaving because I had complaints about my cartridge razor. Truth is, I get a close, comfortable shave from either my Gillette Sensor or my Mach 3, and I think a pivoting head razor with thin, flexible blades mounted on tiny springs is a great invention!

Nevertheless, I am still very interested in traditional shaving, particularly the software part. Making my own lather from soap has been a game changer for me. Learning to be mindful and treat shaving as a treat rather than a chore has also been a game changer. I enjoy shaving! And enjoy being here on B&B and learning about it.

So here I am. I've been keeping private notes on my shaves for over a month now. Now I'm going to see if works for me to keep some public notes.

Today I did a 2-pass shave with Stirling Naked & Smooth+KMF, and a new Gillette Guard. This was the first time I'd done the superlather thing and I wasn't wowed by it. I enjoy the lather I get from either of those products and combining them didn't add noticeable value to me.

I prepped by taking a shower and gently scrubbing my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I've read that it is good to use an exfoliating scrub once or twice a week. I do it once a week.

Post shave, I splashed with Dickenson's Witch Hazel and then a few minutes later applied Neutrogena oil-free moisture for sensitive skin. I don't own any post-shave balms. I just use face moisturizer. If anyone can explain what makes post-shave balms better, I love to learn things. I've looked at the ingredients on a few balms and they seem the same as face moisture lotion to me.

It was a good close, comfortable shave. At present, I'm not really into trying to grade shaves as DFS or BBS.

Welcome to the journals! The software aspect is a fantastic part of the shave, and there are a ton of excellent products out there. Look forward to reading more from you.

What's a superlather?

A superlather is when you add something to the mix while lathering the software of your choice. Instead of just using soap, adding some cream to the mix, or a few drops of glycerine, etc.

Hey, welcome Blake. Wish I could answer the balm thing for you. I too use a moisturizer after alum and witch hazel. Anything after that I'm using for my own scent enjoyment. I found a post shave routine that really minimizes my razor burn so I'm not messing with it.

On 48 hours growth, today I did 2-pass shave with KMF unscented (bowl lathered) + Gillette Guard. Comfort A+.

KMF may be the sleeper in my very small collection of soaps/creams. There is nothing fancy or artisan about it. It's just plain and simple and it works. It has a nice, clean list of ingredients. Easy to lather. And I can buy it at my local supermarket. Yet despite all these pluses, it often takes a backseat to my puck-soaps.

I washed my whiskers with Ivory this morning. That's something different. I keep a bar of Ivory by the bathroom sink for washing my hands, but I usually wash my face with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I only used the Ivory on my beard area. I liked it.

Post shave, I splashed with Dickenson's Witch Hazel and then a few minutes later applied Neutrogena oil-free moisture for sensitive skin.

All-in-all a completely enjoyable shave.

I'm going to keep using the Gillette Guard for the next few shaves until the blade tells me it's had enough.

Enjoying the start so far! I too got into the software side of things before falling in love with safety razors and straights. Can't wait to see where your journey takes you!

New RazoRock Plissoft and Doug Smith lather bowl arrived today. Can't wait to try it out.

snag-1006-jpg.854713

20180122_182544-jpg.854714

Top Bottom