What's new

Blades similar to derby

i am currently using the derby standard and premium blades... like to know if there is anything which are better but not harsh as i have sensitive skin ...but shave better and smoother?

You could try Merkurs. IMO, they are a bit better than Derbys. You may want to just pick of a sample pack and see what you like best. Thats really the only way to know because everyone's hair and skin is different and the best blade for you may not be the best blade for someone else.

Voskhod’s. Despite being on the less sharp end of the spectrum, i had some excellent shaves with them. If you have sensitive skin and like Derby’s, there’s a good chance you’ll love the Voskhod’s.

I really like Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus. They are not as sharp but are Teflon coated. One of my favorite blades. They work very well.

Another I have heard that is on the smother side is Bolzano Superinox. They are said to be excellent though not very sharp. I have one in the cabinet but haven't used it yet. Might be worth a try.

I've had really good luck with Blue Bird high stainless. When I first started I liked Derby but found them to be inconsistent. Now I mostly use KAI blades when I use my DE. But I'm currently taking a trip down the SE rabbit hole.

Sorry, Derby's hate me.

No need for apologies, most share your sentiment. Luckily there are lots of great blades out there to sample. I can attest that Voskhod’s are low on irritation and provide a good shave. But there are many others that fit that bill. Best way to do it is order a sampler pack and try a bunch!

I put voskhods and nacet in a close race. I do not like derby blades. When I first started I didn't care for voskhods or nacets but now I love them. They work great and are very forgiving. Neither irritates, even if you really go at it. Voskhods work great in aggressive razors where something like a GSB would be too sharp. I use them in my German 37 slant. I have gotten 14 shaves out of a nacet in my Rockwell. For me, the first shave with both is the worst. The blade gets better after that, maybe after the first pass.

Sounds like you got a bad Crystal blade. I get nice smooth shaves from them. The new thinner Derby's are decent blades for me also.

For something smooth and not very sharp, besides Voskhod (which is an excellent recommendation), you can try Lord Super Stainless, SuperMax Super Stainless, Lord Platinum Class and Personna Platinum.

Treet Classics would be an outstanding choice. Smoothest blade I’ve ever felt, just on the dull side for me (just like Derby). You can try them or buy them in bulk very affordably.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was going to say "anything, literally anything" but your reply is funnier. Derby is the only blade I swore never to touch again after the first use.
You know, I have tried to like Derby's, several times. I've revisited them at least half a dozen times, at least a month between trials. I just get beat up by em.

You know, I have tried to like Derby's, several times. I've revisited them at least half a dozen times, at least a month between trials. I just get beat up by em.
Are you using the New thinner Derby blades? I find them sharp & smooth for X6-X7 fine shaves. Please remember there is a lot of Derby old stock out there still.

Top Bottom