What's new

Blade Sampler PIF

And it's the original label, not an add-on?
that makes it extra nifty.

CFO, eh, I'll not tell my SWMBO that one. She thinks she's smart about money but I'm smarter.. I know the access code to FleaBay and PayPal. :lol:

Yessir. They print on the tins directly. Vintage look on modern metal. I'm a mechanic and a pre-64 kustom car guy, so I get TONS of various tins.

I liked the Feathers the best. I found that I could get about 4 great quality shaves with the 5th being ok if I forgot to change the blade. Also I felt that they were the sharpest. They average was probably around 3. I actually had a giant spreadsheet with notes on every blade but my hard drive died and I never backed it up.

I also like the Shark blades for use with a Lame (used for scoring the top of bread when baking).
I like Feathers too. I took some notes when trying modern 3 piece with an agressive unrefined feel to it, relying mostly on the quality of the blade. I liked perma sharp for its lasting sharpness, but not as sharp as Feathers. Then I realized Kai was the blade for me, it got better with use and gave me the agressiveness I wanted along with the ultra blade feel. But since moving to vintage that went out the window... I guess I will start all over, poor me. I'm currently on Feathers!

Last edited:
Ok, guys, I deposited the Feather to the Blade Bank. 3 shaves might have been selling it short but I'm taking no chances. When the second Feather comes in the grab bag choosing method I'm using, I'll ride it longer.
Today's random pick is the Lord Stainless Steel.
First time for me with Lord so we'll see how it goes.

Depending on thickness of growth, 3 is probably par. It's what I deemed proper for Feathers. I've done 4 & 5 bit they were pushing disaster.. YMMV of course!

So, LORD Stainless.......
I had intended to write up my experience on a daily basis but with the Christmas work schedule coming on, I have been luck to shave 3 days out of 5.
I shaved with the Lord on the 17 and 18th... so only two shaves since the day I planned to start.
And both shave were speed shaving.. start to finish in about 7 minutes...
However, unlike speed shaving with a Feather, which I suspect would result in a plethora of weepers, the Lord blade gave me a very nice and comfortable shave.
Smooth and comfortable with none of the sting I always get from the Feather. Since I was in quite a hurry, I did not really concentrate on which pass and which direction other than making sure the first pass was mostly WTG.
I did three passes on my cheeks. WTG and 2 XTG.. and the 2nd XTG without re-lathering. The shave was amazingly good and smooth without irritation.
Chin, neck and jaws got WTG and ATG. No weepers and nicely smooth to the touch.
Tomorrow's Sunday and I HOPE to have time for a more leisurely experience with the Lord Stainless.

Shaves 3 and 4 were with the Lord loaded into the Blue Tip for Blue Monday and I'm late for work Tuesday.

Both were exceptionally smooth shaves. I'm thinking I may have to buy some of these blades to keep my Gillette Bleue Extra and my Polsilver Old blades company.

Shave 5 with the Lord was the last shave. It wasn't weepery but it was a pulling, dragging not efficient just barely SAS shave.

Great blade and great run.

Since I'm off for the day, I'm not shaving this morning but I may do it this evening since I have to be at work at 0500 for our Black Friday Chaos.
Than again, shaving in the morning, even when I'm a bit rushed seems normal. Shaving at night confuses me.

I'll dip my hand in the bag of blades and grab one randomly again and see what happens next.

Almost verbatim what the story of the Shark Super Stainless was for me. 3 SOLID shaves, one where I could tell it was tired and dull and had to buff on each of the last 2 passes. Went back to a Feather to keep my control basis in check, but put it in a Tech I've had a while and never used. Outstanding pairing!

I've been really busy with work and home and so I've missed a few words on these blades.
Since my last report, I've tried the Gillette 7 o'clock Green Super Stainless. I had 4 good shaves and might have gotten more but switched it for the Trig Silver Edge Stainless.
I got 2 good shaves from the Trig but yesterday, the first stroke of the razor told me it was done. it was fighting a 2 days growth but still, it seemed like time.
A dip into the blade bag brought out the Super-Max Platinum from Feltham, TW13 7LR, London, UK.
It did a fine job against the 2 day beard and gave me a really smooth DFS.
Shave 2 on that one today.

Top Bottom