What's new

Blade longevity

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I flip my blades because when I first started traditional shaving 4 yrs ago some folks claimed it helps. So I flip my blades and really do not know how affective it is scientifically.
The objective is the blade edge has some small waves & bends of the finite edge and the theory is by flipping the blade it works to straighten the edge out supposedly. The procedure is basically trying to mimic stropping the edge that straightens the edge. If it strops the edge that is a positive because it straightens the edge making the shave smoother!
If it changes or improves the edge it is up to the operator to determine, by doing this procedure you are handling the blade more and chances of a cut increases.
I just tap dry on a dry area of the towel the blade and have been doing this for 4 years and it has been event free.
My conclusion is you will increase the life of the blade ever so slightly possibly because you are cleaning the blade reducing corrosion of chemicals in soaps and adjusting the cutting edge. If you use a blade for <3 shaves I would not even bother.
The most I ever got out of a DE blade is 12 shaves by flipping which is awesome. My Kai SS I toss out after 10 shaves regardless using averages.
razor edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Have you tried the perma sharp blade. I think it was made for Turkish barbers. This have become one of my most used blades. I generally get 3 good shaves from this blade. Some other blades i can get 5 plus shaves, but some peak in performance on the second or third shave. I like my blades to be performing at it's best on the first shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I get two good shaves from a Feather blade, so your beard is obviously thicker than mine. I agree with the blades are cheap crowd.

My best blade for longevity is the Med Prep, so you might want to give them a try. Sharp blade (not quite as sharp as a Feather, but close) and much better longevity than Feather for me.

You should go check out Refined shave and look at the blade durability comparison. The Personna lab blue, Gillette silver blue, and BIC were rated well for durability.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
You should go check out Refined shave and look at the blade durability comparison. The Personna lab blue, Gillette silver blue, and BIC were rated well for durability.
I agree on Gillette Silver Blue. I have a thick, coarse old guy beard, and my blade, finishing week two this weekend, is feeling just fine. It has been required to provide three pass BBS every day. I shaved at eight. As I write it is 5:30, and my face is still very smooth.

Now my experience with the longevity of the blades i use is not going to be relatable to most others out there because I use vintage blades exclusively. The reasons they are better are economic, not because they can't be as good or better made now and I won't dive into that now. But when I was using modern blades I got 3 to 5 uses out of the best of them, now I get anywhere from two weeks to over a month of everyday shaves from them, depending on the model. Also since I'm retired I made a project out of acquiring them for costs per shave equal to or better than modern offerings. The longevity is just icing on the cake, it's the closer, smoother shaves I get that are almost always weeper free that swung me. But considering the time and effort required to get them at those prices it's probably not worth it for the average joe.

I stopped reusing blades the last time I purchased Feather blades, so I cannot comment on longevity. Must be at least 2 years now. My beard is more sparse, but my skin is very sensitive, I also shave cold - that's why.
If you are bothered by the costs, you can save money by investing more time in the shave, e.g. you could try a SR or as suggested an AC-blade SE razor. Or you can improve your prep, how does it currently look like?
If you are bothered by the environmental impact, don't be. Razor blades can be recycled but rarely are because it isn't worth it for the recycling industry (yet).

I wonder if your blades last longer when using the Lord L6 razor?

I am not using bics in the R41 (they make a mess for some reason) and I am not using feathers in the Lord razor (because they are too good for a 5 euro razor :biggrin1:) so that leaves us with nacet across the platforms. I would say it is about the same and maybe a little longer on the R41. I would attribute that to the greater angle window of operation on the R41.

Have you tried the perma sharp blade

I have, they were pretty similar to the nacets but harsher. I prefer nacet.

you could try a SR or as suggested an AC-blade SE razor

Yup, but the medical fees for the stitches will wipe out any potential savings :biggrin1:

I don't really care about the cost, this is something inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I mean a $12 100-pack of blades lasting 8 months instead of 2 years won't break the bank. The feeling of sharpness and effectiveness outweighs the added expense. I was really curious to ask the members here just in case I am doing something wrong, something that I haven't figured out yet.

What I'm seeing here is a group of people who have a confirmation bias. They can't get many shaves, so it's not possible that others are.

I'm on my second blade for the year. I have an average beard. The first was an Astra SP. The second is a Dorco I got with a razor. I've been pleasantly surprised by the Dorco.

Last year, I used three blades.

If there is a magic trick, it's using a light touch. Mostly, it's just gradually increasing the number of shaves on a blade until the shaver learns to shave in a way that increases the number of shaves.

Check out the Excalibur Club for more info.

If you disregard the effect of different prep and different beard types, technique and razor used should also play a role.
The angle of incident to the beard hair and the speed should effect the force on the cutting edge, which leads to micro chipping, which is the primary wear mechanism on a DE blade.
Speed shaving with a steep angle should at least in theory reduce the lifespan of a blade.

I am not saying steep angle shaving is any better or worse than shallow angle shaving in terms of efficiency and result, nor am i indicating something about your technique. I do think if blade longevity is a priority, the angle of the blade relative to your particular hair growth pattern is one factor.

I have also found that if i am really dehydrated and have been exposed to the sun, the whiskers get really though, even if i do my normal lathering routine. Yesterday's shave was an example of this. I loaded a fresh Feather blade in my Tatara razor, and it tugged on the ATG pass. I would like to think that this will effect the longevity of the blade. I generally get two good three pass shaves from a Feather blade. I really think the ATG pass i rough on the blades.

Most of the time i am using an open blade, which do require good hydrated lather:)

Why shaving dulls even the sharpest of razors | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology

I seem to be in the small minority here that brings up the fact that the longevity of a blade is invariably linked to the user’s pre-shave prep.

There are numerous threads where people talk about their “wiry whiskers”, “beards like copper wire”, ethnic backgrounds or similar and then go on to elaborate how their whiskers annihilate razor blades.

This is often followed by a discussion of various remedies, from replacing a blade after only one shave to flipping sides of the blade after every shave, palm stropping, particular DE blade brands, and god knows what else…

But how can we have a meaningful discussion about longevity and quality of a razor blade if the poster does not describe how he prepares his beard for the shave?

To me this is quite self-evident and I have a strong suspicion that many of these threads mask the simple truth that beard prep is wanting.

It does not need to be an overly complicated pre-shave routine, but there has to be some preparation before the shave. And we should know what it is, because otherwise we would try to discuss and solve a problem without knowing all the facts.

Does anyone agrees with me on this?

B.

Last edited:
I seem to be in the small minority here that brings up the fact that the longevity of a blade is invariably linked to the user’s pre-shave prep.

There are numerous threads where people talk about their “wiry whiskers”, “beards like copper wire”, ethnic backgrounds or similar and then go on to elaborate how their whiskers annihilate razor blades.

This is often followed by a discussion of various remedies, from replacing a blade after only one shave to flipping sides of the blade after every shave, palm stropping, particular DE blade brands, and god knows what else…

But how can we have a meaningful discussion about longevity and quality of a razor blade if the poster does not describe how he prepares his beard for the shave?

To me this is quite self-evident and I have a strong suspicion that many of these threads mask the simple truth that beard prep is wanting.

It does not need to be an overly complicated pre-shave routine, but there has to be some preparation before the shave. And we should know what it is, because otherwise we would try to discuss and solve a problem without knowing all the facts.

Does anyone agrees with me on this?

B.

Absolutely!

Beard preparation is critical. especially for those with coarse, thick beards. Typically, your beard hairs are coated with skin oils and whatever contaminants have been applied intentionally or accumulated from the environment. These oils and contaminants need to be removed by your preshave routine. When water is absorbed into the structure of the beard hairs, they increase in length and also in diameter. This reduces the tensile strength of the hair and makes it easier to sever by the razor blade. If the hair has not been properly cleaned and hydrated, the hair will do more damage to the edge of the blade and blade life will be reduced.

I generally shower immediately before my shave using both shampoo and soap to make sure my beard is cleaned thoroughly and hydrated properly.

Personally, I have not found preshave oils to be helpful as they just reintroduce the oils and contaminants that I have carefully removed. I have seen claims from manufacturers of preshave oils that indicate they moisturize your skin and hydrate your whiskers. However, since most of these products contain various vegetable oils rather than water, I am not sure how much "hydration" is accomplished. The oils do provide lubrication and protection for sensitive skin, but I am not sure what it does for coarse beard hair.

There are some preshave creams that do contain water. One example is Proraso Preshave Cream. Noxzema Classic Clean Moisturizing Clean would be a similar product that is sometimes recommended as a preshave.

There are some products that are based on aloe vera juice or gel. Since aloe vera is over 99% water, it would also be suitable for hydrating the beard.

If I use an inexpensive shave soap then I might find the addition of a preshave product to be helpful. However, if I use high quality artisan soaps, I find no need for either preshave or postshave products.

Lots of good points regarding pre shave preparation.

I like to be a minimalist with my consumables. I like one soap, one after shave and a few types of blades that work the best after some experimentation.

I have tried the hot towels, hair conditioner, soap before shaving soap and I found that they make a difference with respect to the experience but not to the extent that I will go out of my way to use them every time. This, as long as the blade is newish, so we go back to square one. I will certain not go out of my way to add 2 more uses to a 12 cent blade.

One good point mentioned is the toughness of the beard with respect to hydration, I find that if I had a hard day working out in the sun, the beard gets noticeably tougher.

I cannot tell you much about angles of shaving, I never give much thought to it. I adjust subconsciously for the best result on a given set up.

Reactions: JPO
This is an odd thing but sometimes face scrubs make shaving easier, you can use them in the shower before you shave. Nivea, Dove, Neutrogena, and Bulldog make them, I would recommend using them on a day you do not shave, so not to irritate your skin too much in one day.

Lots of good points regarding pre shave preparation.

I like to be a minimalist with my consumables. I like one soap, one after shave and a few types of blades that work the best after some experimentation.

I have tried the hot towels, hair conditioner, soap before shaving soap and I found that they make a difference with respect to the experience but not to the extent that I will go out of my way to use them every time. This, as long as the blade is newish, so we go back to square one. I will certain not go out of my way to add 2 more uses to a 12 cent blade.

One good point mentioned is the toughness of the beard with respect to hydration, I find that if I had a hard day working out in the sun, the beard gets noticeably tougher.

I cannot tell you much about angles of shaving, I never give much thought to it. I adjust subconsciously for the best result on a given set up.
One thing that made a difference to me was to judge my lather by how it feel on the face, not only by how it looks. When i feel like i have a wet towel on my face i know i am good.
Skin stretching and beard mapping helped too.
I have tried every preshave out there, but i do not feel they add much. Paa the cube has by far been the best for me.
The fact is that most of these DE blades are quite fragile.
I can get 15 uses out of an artist club blade, and two months on a straight razor edge.
I just don‘t see the need to push a de blade past 5 shaves with my beard and routine.

Eben Stone

Staff member
...shower before you shave...

^^ this

I shower in the morning and shave in the evening. But if I had some special event to go to, like a wedding, then I would shower then shave. For me the improvement is only slightly noticeable, but maybe it will work better for you. Its worth trying since it doesn't really require any extra effort except maybe adjusting your schedule.

I am not using feathers in the Lord razor (because they are too good for a 5 euro razor :biggrin1:)

^^ have you at least tried that combination?

judge my lather

I like to get as much soap on my face as possible, I don't go for the "canned foam" effect. I use a little less water than optimal to get a thicker lather

I can get 15 uses out of an artist club blade, and two months on a straight razor edge.

These feather AC razors look cool, but they are about 120 euros for the handle and 12 euros for 15 blades around here. My barber uses them and he only has good things to say about them. I cannot use even a shavette, so there is no way to use these in any meaningful way.

^^ have you at least tried that combination?

I haven't, but this lord razor punches well above its weight. I am mostly using bic chromes with it as it seems to tame the harshness and leave only the sharpness. I might give it a go in the interest of science!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have tried the hot towels, hair conditioner, soap before shaving soap and I found that they make a difference with respect to the experience but not to the extent that I will go out of my way to use them every time. <snip> I will certain not go out of my way to add 2 more uses to a 12 cent blade.

I use a little less water than optimal to get a thicker lather

I think we're getting somewhere.

I think the shave count you're getting is because of how you prefer to shave. You prefer not to do extensive prep, and you prefer a less than optimal lather hydration. If I shaved your way, I might get a lower shave count too.

This is not a crticism, just an observation that your preferences may contribute to a lower shave count than what others might get.

I tend to use a very well hydrated lather. It's not unusual for me to have runs down onto my chest. I think that improved slickness helps not just on the skin, but in cutting through the hair. A richer lather gives me a poorer shave. As to prep, sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. It's more necessary for me on shorter stubble. Longer stubble wicks up water easier due to increased surface area. I need more prep on a shorter stubble length. By the way, I don't do these things for a higher shave count, I do them for a better shave. Increased shave count per blade is just a side effect. :)

By all means, do your own shaves your own way. You only have yourself to please. :biggrin: However, other folks doing things differently are likely what's giving them higher shave counts, not just shaving very soft stubble, as you suggested in your first post.

I will certain not go out of my way to add 2 more uses to a 12 cent blade.

Then you will keep getting, what you keep getting, and that's perfectly fine :thumbup1: If you don't want to make changes, things will stay the same, but those getting different results are likely using different methods/technique, not just having different beards 🍻

Top Bottom