What's new

Blade longevity

Hello all,

I am taking the liberty to open a new thread, with a genuine question stemming from the discussions I see concerning blade longevity. Specifically, I see members getting a minimum of one week (6-7 uses). There are some outliers that claim a month let's say of shaves but these people must be shaving very soft whiskers.

I have found that with the exception of feather blades that get tossed after a single use, all other blades last me (barely) 2 uses, with the second usually being less pleasurable than the first. Am I doing something wrong here?

Of all things, I tried to extend the use of the blades despite the lack of comfort, after reading that one needs to endure the first couple shaves to get to the smoother part of the blade. One thing in common in all these experiments is that the blade goes downhill after the first use.

A little bit of background: I am mediterranean, I have thick wiry whiskers that grow quickly, and I am using nacet, bic chrome and feather blades. I attach a couple photos, these are essentially 24 hours after a very close shave and it genuinely hurts to drag skin across the beard at this stage. It feels like coarse sandpaper.

Attachments

• image_67151617.jpg
    image_67151617.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • image_67192065-1.jpg
    image_67192065-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Blades are cheap, too cheap to endure bad shaves. By the picture I can tell you have very coarse stubble, and I am not surprised you can use blades for only 1 or 2 shaves. I use Nacets and they give me 3 comfortable shaves.

Given that you have well hydrated slick lather and use proper tehnique, you are not doing anything wrong.

You might be a bit of an outlier, but not really that unusual. We have a quite a lot of people that just shave once or twice per blade and toss them. You are using good blades, but you did not say much about your other equipment or lather.

For myself, I usually get three good and one marginal shave from a Feather. I get more shaves per blade with the Gillette Tech for some reason. Blades such as Nacet, I'll usually change every week. With Personna Med Preps, I might go ten shaves with. That puts me closer to the average person here.

There are some who change blades every three shaves. I try to get a many comfortable shaves per blade before I change it out. My goal for each blade is 7 shaves. Some blades such as Shark SS, I get 3-4 shaves. Astra SP, I can get 10. It really depends on the blade.

YMMV, especially for blades!

For me Feathers are good for 3, perhaps 4 good shaves. In contrast, my ’top-tier’ blades are good for 7-10, occasionally more shaves. I just finished the vintage (Polish) Polsilver participation PIF where I was getting 12 or more shaves per blade.

Now check the ‘Excalibur’ club threads for the real blade longevity experts!! :a29:

For me i tend to get at least a week from a blade. But it varies a bit per blade and razor. To my surprise de outlasts ac se blades….
for me kai outlasts bic, nacet easily.
and there is a difference if I do a face prep or not

you did not say much about your other equipment or lather

Nothing fancy really, Mitchells wool fat soap, a synthetic brush and a shower as pre-shave. I use either an R41 or a Lord L6 and I have no issues with skin irritation or razor burn with either as long as the blade is sharp. 2 passes only though, I am not aiming for the ultimate result.

Now check the ‘Excalibur’ club threads for the real blade longevity experts!!

I am afraid I will get kicked out for being wasteful!

Have you tried palm blade stropping to extend the lifetime of the blades or simply enjooy the second shave with the same blade?

Like you, I have a coarse, fast growing beard. To make it worse, I also have sensitive skin. I do not like using Feather blades as I can only get two good shaves before the edge starts to feel harsh on my face. I do like the BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet blades. However, there are other blades that are almost as good. I can usually get four shaves from these blades before they start to tug.

Blade life can vary from 1 shave to 100 shaves depending upon your beard type and skin type. I am assuming your Mediterranian skin is not quite as sensitive as mine, so I would think you should be able to get somewhere between 4-7 shaves per blade. As has been mentioned earlier, blades are inexpensive. If the shave is not both close and comfortable, it is time to install a new blade.

Since your beard grows rapidly, I would suggest that you do a multipass shave to get as close as possible. I generally do WTG, XTG, ATG, and then do a clean-up pass with a combination of XTG/WTG to get as close to possible without irritation.

My whiskers are thick and coarse, albeit with more silver than in my younger days. I get between 4 - 6 shaves with most blades. I marvel at the Excalibur Shavers. I've been able to push a very nice blade to 10 shaves, but that is so rare for me. My whiskers seem to wear out the blades edge within 6 shaves.

Same 9/10 is about my best ever. I felt pretty rough afterwards.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are looking for longevity in a blade you should possibly try the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade. The SE AC(50mm) or Schick injector blades are pricier or just don't last as long.
My experiences from using different SE blades is the Gem beats all or almost all when it comes to price and longevity per shave (10 shaves for myself per blade Average) or $.02-.04 per shave.
A Gem Micromatic open comb or Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf are built very well and last(ideal for your beard type?), Gem sold millions of them.
You can purchase a used Gem razor relatively inexpensive at antique stores or online and the blades can be purchased through Connaught shaving UK.(click on picture to enlarge)
It takes a few shaves to dial them in and after that you should enjoy them.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg

blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a fairly average density mottled brown/ginger beard, probably not the toughest, but there's still a decent amount of cutting resistance, particularly if my technique is off. It's certainly not an easy beard to cut. I tend to get around 10 shaves from most blades, but some go a lot further. I currently have an Astra (Platinum) in my razor, which got put in at the beginning of July. I've easily racked up 30-40 shaves with it since then, but I don't count shaves any more, so I couldn't tell you the exact amount.

The amount and type of preparation you do, the blade's edge geometry and coatings, which lather you use, and how densely you mix it, the razor the blade is in, and the technique used, will all affect blade life. You may find that you start getting better blade life later in the shaving journey. You may find that you don't. It matters not. Use the blade for as long as you get comfortable shaves, and then stick a new one in. There's no prizes for ditching the blade sooner or later than anyone else.

Sometimes, a blade can seem like it's struggling (for me), and switching to a different lather on the next shave gives it a new lease of life. Blades cut better for me on thinner lather, and dense lather introduces several problems into my shave, including blade life. I also find that two blades from the same pack can often differ significantly, with one lasting as long as I'd expect from that brand, but another chipping or dulling in less than half the time. Some, like my current blade, just keep cutting and cutting, so long as I clean (and maybe flip over) the blade when it starts dragging a bit.

We all have different beards, tap water chemistry, and oodles of other variables, so don't worry too much about everyone else's results. Just work towards finding the shaves that you enjoy the most. :thumbup1:

I think if you do any ATG passes that will really kill the lifespan of a blade. It would not surprise me if you did a single WTG pass that you could theoretically get a month or more of good shaves and comfort every single day. ATG is a blade killer.

Also being of Mediterranean heritage, the Nacet is my favorite blade. My shaves are usually 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) and a 4th ATG around the chin. I get 3 shaves from a blade and then i toss it. More than that and i find i'm buffing far too much to take down stubble.

Lots of great replies!

Have you tried palm blade stropping to extend the lifetime of the blades or simply enjooy the second shave with the same blade?
Sure that is a possibility, I might try it next time!

SE blades
I am pretty heavily invested in the DE side of things, and I am based in Greece so the supply of alternative systems is pretty spotty.

You may find that you start getting better blade life later in the shaving journey
I've been doing this since 2007, so I believe I've nailed the technique :001_tt2: apart from that I can get a passable shave from anything that is remotely sharp. But I like to go aaaahhhhh with every stroke of the razor.

ATG passes

This is a no-no for me, across is as far as I will go. I used to have bad irritations from shaving when I was in my late teens/early twenties and I still remember the warning of the dermatologist: NEVER against the grain!

I think if you do any ATG passes that will really kill the lifespan of a blade. It would not surprise me if you did a single WTG pass that you could theoretically get a month or more of good shaves and comfort every single day. ATG is a blade killer.

Also being of Mediterranean heritage, the Nacet is my favorite blade. My shaves are usually 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) and a 4th ATG around the chin. I get 3 shaves from a blade and then i toss it. More than that and i find i'm buffing far too much to take down stubble.

If you only do a one-pass shave, the blade will last a lot more shaves, but for me, I would have to shave three times a day, so it still would not last that many days.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I won't say it doesn't make a difference, but I don't flip my blades and get pretty good longevity.
I don't either, but I read of others getting 7-8 and then flipping the blade and getting another half dozen or so. It makes no sense to me.

Nothing fancy really, Mitchells wool fat soap, a synthetic brush and a shower as pre-shave. I use either an R41 or a Lord L6 and I have no issues with skin irritation or razor burn with either as long as the blade is sharp. 2 passes only though, I am not aiming for the ultimate result...
That's interesting. Mitchell's has a reputation for helping to extend blade life. At the same time, many people have observed shorter blade life with the R41, especially if they are shaving with a steep angle (fairly normal for R41).

I wonder if your blades last longer when using the Lord L6 razor?

Top Bottom