What's new

Blade Life: GEM/Personna, PTFE Coated, SE Razor Blade

What is the normal / expected blade life for the: GEM/Personna, PTFE Coated, SE Razor Blade?

I recently started shaving with SE razors (I have been shaving for over 40 years with DE safety razors), and I am using GEM/Personna, PTFE coated, SE razor blades. I am still using the very first SE blade that I started shaving with in SE razors (I purchased a pack of 100 blades). . . I just had my 21st BBS shave with that blade today (today I shaved with an Ever-Ready, 1924 - "Shovel Head" razor). I have used that same blade shaving with the following razors (with most of the razors, I have shaved multiple times with the same blade in each different razor): 1912 Damaskeen, 1912 Ever-Ready (made in England), 1912 GEM, GEM Feather Weight, GEM Flat Top Heavy - FTH/G-Bar, MMOC, MMCP, MMBT, 1914 Ever-Ready, 1924 Ever-Ready - "Shovel Head."

I haven't used one on my face only, I only get 3-4 face and head shaves. My head shaves eats these blades alive. I have no doubt about getting around 20 face shaves from one.

Your beard's coarseness will determine how many you get from one!

I just got 200 of the GEM PTFEs in from Ted Pella a couple weeks ago, and I'm still on the first blade, but I only have 7 shaves on it so far. I've been mixing it up the past couple weeks with my GEM/ER SEs, and a Schick E3. I'm going to stick with the GEMs this week, or until this blade is done, then go back to DEs for a week or two.

I would expect to get a little more life out of them, since they're thicker and more rigid then a DE blade. I never got more than a week from the CVS carbon steel SE blades I tried - I either got tired of having to dry them off every day, and would chuck it after a week, or I would forget, and it would have started rusting by the next morning. I'm really liking the GEM PTFE coated SS blades!

Today, I enjoyed comfortable (two and a half shaving passes), BBS shave number 22 with the same blade!!! -- Today I used the blade in a 1912 GEM Damaskeene.

Shave number 23 today with the blade. . . Great shave with an Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head" razor!!!

Top Bottom