What's new

Blade disposal

Wrap old blade in wax paper from new blade. Fold in half the long way and toss into the trash. Never wanted an old container of dirty blades sitting around.

Hi,

So, no one so far has an old house....

Stan

....Because no one has said 'slot in the bathroom wall' yet....

I've prob seen thousands of old steel blades in the walls of the houses I've torn down...my family has been in the demolition business for 30+ years

I've been putting used blades in the wrapper and snapping in half. Is that considered unsafe (I don't have small children in the house)?

IMG_0207.JPG

After a while using an old marmalade jar with a slit in the lid, SWMBO thought I should upgrade to this. It should last me a couple of years at least.

I use one of the containers supplied free with every purchase of Folger's coffee. Razor blades, utility knife blades... whatever other little cutty bits of metal might need disposing of. Once I accumulate enough to make it worth the time, I'll drop them off at a metals recycling place.

I really like the Rx bottle idea though... those are handy for lots of things!

I use a Lego® brick bank for mine that I got at my first trip to a Lego® store.
Every half year or so I collect the used blades from friends and empty out my blade bank, which fills up rather fast as I throw all the junk blades from razor purchases in it too. I put these blades in a cleaned out tin can that I've used one of those fancy edge-cutters on. I pop a couple nail holes in the can bottom and lid, weld the lid on, heat it to glowing in my casting furnace to sterilize them and throw it in with the scrap steel that I take to the steelyard.

I've been saving this empty curry spice tin to make a blade disposal can.. I did tonight... and then PIF'd it as part of a DE starter kit I gave to my F.I.L.
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG

Top Bottom