What's new

Blade Buffing with a DE

For the past couple weeks I've been experimenting with blade buffing. It's now become a regular part of my shave and has been very successful.

I've always done a two pass shave - WTG, rinse then XTG. These were both done with a single stroke of the razor, move over an inch or so, make the next stroke, etc until the area was clear of shaving soap.

A couple weeks ago I decided to try buffing. This worked well in smaller areas, especially the chin, so I gradually expanded how much area I did it with. What I've developed is this... The first pass is a buffing technique WTG (except on my upper lip, that's just WTG in a basic downward stroke). The entire face is done in this short buffing pattern. I rinse, relather and then do the same thing in an XTG direction (again except for the upper lip and the very lowest part of my neck around adam's apple I don't do XTG, only WTG there but I do buff the entire neck WTG).

I don't do ATG and never have - not worth the rash I get from it. This buffing all around in little short strokes works very well. I've been getting a near BBS smoothness this way on probably 75% of my beard area and CCS/DFS on the rest.

Anyone else use this method extensively like this (I think alot of us buff "trouble spots" but I'm not sure I've seen anyone talk about doing the entire (or nearly entire) face this way.

The key is keep the razor angle exactly the same and just do 1" +/- buffing strokes. No pressure, just buff lightly. The shave soap drags back as I buff, even with the solid bar of the H1, so the soap is still lubricating the blade as I go. With my 2013 R41 it's a bit more tedious of course, but does work. With my R2 it works great.

Anyone else do this?

Certainly. I don't do it the same as you, I usually do more buffing in some areas and more in my XTG or AGT pass.

I believe a lot of trusted veteran shavers on this sight will say they blade buff regularly.

essentially my practice as well... I still haven't given up on against the grain, although there is a noticeable increased chance to leave some redness behind; the smooth clean feel afterward is just too precious to leave on the table. I too see the soap lubricating the cap and keeping a level of moisturizing / slickness on the skin. I'm still trying to find a razor I like best - recently an iKon OSS DLC with persona's has been showing me some of the best results I've had this past year. This to me means I've still got work to do dialing in the three Merkur adjustables, getting more consistent with less passes using a AS-D2, and more adept with my Feather AC.
I'm one of those folk who believe it's not the equipment it's the user. But wow! first two shaves with the iKon and I'm thinking it's some of the best experiences of my shaving life? /shakes head in wonder.

essentially my practice as well... I still haven't given up on against the grain, although there is a noticeable increased chance to leave some redness behind; the smooth clean feel afterward is just too precious to leave on the table. I too see the soap lubricating the cap and keeping a level of moisturizing / slickness on the skin. I'm still trying to find a razor I like best - recently an iKon OSS DLC with persona's has been showing me some of the best results I've had this past year. This to me means I've still got work to do dialing in the three Merkur adjustables, getting more consistent with less passes using a AS-D2, and more adept with my Feather AC.
I'm one of those folk who believe it's not the equipment it's the user. But wow! first two shaves with the iKon and I'm thinking it's some of the best experiences of my shaving life? /shakes head in wonder.

Interesting findings you have there. I have four razors now (the H1 Kronos is my go-to, and an R2 Atlas I finally put together as a travel razor. The 2013 R41 I recently acquired from a brother shaver here cuz I just "had to try it", then there's the '55 Super Speed is my vintage. These all work with the buffing technique. The R41 requires alot lighter touch though, you can't be cavalier when buffing (or anything else!) with it.

I blade buff over most of my face. The only exception is when I go ATG on my neck. I have done it there, but it is not very comfortable.

I don't know if I would call it buffing, but I definitely touch up a few areas after each shave. I think that most guys here do that.

I don't know if I would call it buffing, but I definitely touch up a few areas after each shave. I think that most guys here do that.

Yes, I think a lot of us buff the rough spots, am curious if anyone essentially buffs the entire face on all passes (two in my case). It's something I recently tried as an experiment and have found very effective.

3-pass and out, usually a DFS, about once a week a true BBS, once in a while a CCS. If I try buffing, j-hooking, or anything else, that's when I suffer. Live with what I get.

3-pass and out, usually a DFS, about once a week a true BBS, once in a while a CCS. If I try buffing, j-hooking, or anything else, that's when I suffer. Live with what I get.

Yes, key to it all is enjoying the shave and not suffering rash/ingrown. I just can't do ATG, my neck won't tolerate it in my case. The end result is it must fit your needs.

Top Bottom