What's new

Blackland Sabre vs Oneblade Genesis 2

IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
So I got my Blackland Sabre yesterday and I wanted to compare the two razors in how they shave. So tonight I did a full 4 pass no touch up shave with the objective to end up with a level 2 BBS shave and to see if they can both get there and how they get there. NOTE: I've already achieved a Level 2 BBS shave with the Genesis when I did the Old vs New comparison using the GEM 1912 and Genesis 2 so I knew it got there once but could it do it again with 21/2 days growth. From what I've read they do compare these two razors to each other so we will see.

Razor 1 - Blackland Sabre + Gem PTFE blade
Razor 2 - Oneblade Genesis 2 + Feather FHS -10 blade
Soap - Asylum by SV Beta 4.1
Brush - RR Monster
Bowl - Dirtybird
Post shave - Thayers unscented
Aftershave balm - Proraso Sensitive skin

Blade loading: One thing I noticed about the Blackland right away is that's going to take some time getting used to the threading that connects the the head and handle. Since the sides of the screw are cut out so it looks more like a rectangle shaped screw it was a little frustrating trying to get the angle just right and screw it on and tighten up. As most know there is literally nothing to do but insert the blade until it clicks and the Genesis is loaded and ready to go. So definately advantage Genesis.

On with the shave:
Pass 1 - WTG - So bowl lathered up a nice thick cream and I decided to use the Genesis on the right side of my face and neck since it's the most difficult side cause my neck has a bad cowlick with the grain going all different which ways in an area about the size of a silver dollar and in my last comparison I gave the easy side to the Genesis so it was time for it to step up to the plate and tackle my more difficult side. Also figured it was my first time out with the Blackland Sabre and it may take a few strokes to dial my angle in. Anyway I started with the Genesis and it is so smooth and basically effortless as the pivot does most of the work. Just get your angle right and go at it. Then went to the left side using the Sabre and I noticed I definitely felt a little more blade and there was more feedback than the Genesis was giving me. It also felt a little more aggressive but still shaved very smoothly. BRW It took only a few seconds to find my angle but because it was my first time shaving with it I took shorter strokes with it compared to the Genesis. End result was both sides left some hair but I noticed the Sabre left a little less. Gotta love those GEM blades. So advantage Sabre.

Pass 2 - XTG ear to nose. I rolled along with the Genesis in fast long strokes, and in a way looking back I was a little bit cocky and not taking an equal amount of time as I did with the Sabre which I was starting to get more confidence with and started taking longer strokes with was mowing down the hair and again was giving me more feedback which i like. Also like the head design better for getting under my nose although the Genesis isn't as bad as some other razors in my den. BTW I was at a DFS at this point on both sides with the cowlick hair still not quite there. If I were to stop I would have to do some touching up in that spot.

Pass 3 - XTG nose to ear. What I really noticed on this pass was the Sabre was more nimble and I was easier to navigate than the Genesis but again the Genesis is almost a mindless great shaving, hard to cut yourself heavy razor that you don't really need to maneuver but rather just guide it and let the pivot do most of the work so not as challenging as the Sabre but I'm sure some of us on those certain days might like that when we just want a solid DFS in under 5 minutes without really thinking about what we are doing. The Genesis is sure to deliver that with no irritation. So at the end of this pass I was at a level 1 BBS on both sides except the one spot on my neck. It was being really stubborn tonight but again with a touch up I would have been there.

Pass 4 - ATG This is always were the Genesis shines. It just doesn't give you any resistance or pull it just goes and again I think I was getting so cocky with it that I just went super fast with very long strokes and looking back I won't do that again at least not when doing a comparison review. Sabre at this point was almost as smooth a shaver and it glided along great and still giving me just a tad of feedback. I almost liken the Sabre to the Brass General I have and they seem somewhat similar and that is a comparison which I'm absolutely going to do to see if the Sabre can hang with the General. So at the end of the 4th pass to get the nitpicky results I'm looking for I rinsed with very cold water, towel dried and then used the blow dryer on the cold setting to really get my face very dry to do a proper cotton test. So after the cotton test the results are in. Both sides of my face and neck were a level 2 BBS shave with the exception of my cowlick on my neck on the Genesis side. It was a level 1 BBS as it grabbed more cotton than anywhere else. So in the end although these two both gave me a solid BBS level 2 shave after 4 passes and no touch ups. They do get there a little differently but not as much as I expected. I mean this is no GEM MMOC vs Sabre or Genesis which I'm sure would be a whole different ball game. So slight advantage goes to the Sabre in this comparison but I'm still not happy with my cocky attitude when using the Genesis. Could the results be different if I had paid a little more attention with the Genesis. Not sure maybe and I can tell you I won't ever do it again when doing a comparison.

I also really like the Gem blades they give me a smoother shave In my opinon than the Feathers.

Just an added note on Sabre. Got to say props for a nice presentation as far as the packaging and it's a well machined great looking modern razor. So nice job Stan!

Last edited:
View attachment 805936 View attachment 805935 So I got my Blackland Sabre yesterday and I wanted to compare the two razors in how they shave. So tonight I did a full 4 pass no touch up shave with the objective to end up with a level 2 BBS shave and to see if they can both get there and how they get there. NOTE: I've already achieved a Level 2 BBS shave with the Genesis when I did the Old vs New comparison using the GEM 1912 and Genesis 2 so I knew it got there once but could it do it again with 21/2 days growth. From what I've read they do compare these two razors to each other so we will see.

Razor 1 - Blackland Sabre + Gem PTFE blade
Razor 2 - Oneblade Genesis 2 + Feather FHS -10 blade
Soap - Asylum by SV Beta 4.1
Brush - RR Monster
Bowl - Dirtybird
Post shave - Thayers unscented
Aftershave balm - Proraso Sensitive skin

Blade loading: One thing I noticed about the Blackland right away is that's going to take some time getting used to the threading that connects the the head and handle. Since the sides of the screw are cut out so it looks more like a rectangle shaped screw it was a little frustrating trying to get the angle just right and screw it on and tighten up. As most know there is literally nothing to do but insert the blade until it clicks and the Genesis is loaded and ready to go. So definately advantage Genesis.

On with the shave:
Pass 1 - WTG - So bowl lathered up a nice thick cream and I decided to use the Genesis on the right side of my face and neck since it's the most difficult side cause my neck has a bad cowlick with the grain going all different which ways in an area about the size of a silver dollar and in my last comparison I gave the easy side to the Genesis so it was time for it to step up to the plate and tackle my more difficult side. Also figured it was my first time out with the Blackland Sabre and it may take a few strokes to dial my angle in. Anyway I started with the Genesis and it is so smooth and basically effortless as the pivot does most of the work. Just get your angle right and go at it. Then went to the left side using the Sabre and I noticed I definitely felt a little more blade and there was more feedback than the Genesis was giving me. It also felt a little more aggressive but still shaved very smoothly. BRW It took only a few seconds to find my angle but because it was my first time shaving with it I took shorter strokes with it compared to the Genesis. End result was both sides left some hair but I noticed the Sabre left a little less. Gotta love those GEM blades. So advantage Sabre.

Pass 2 - XTG ear to nose. I rolled along with the Genesis in fast long strokes, and in a way looking back I was a little bit cocky and not taking an equal amount of time as I did with the Sabre which I was starting to get more confidence with and started taking longer strokes with was mowing down the hair and again was giving me more feedback which i like. Also like the head design better for getting under my nose although the Genesis isn't as bad as some other razors in my den. BTW I was at a DFS at this point on both sides with the cowlick hair still not quite there. If I were to stop I would have to do some touching up in that spot.

Pass 3 - XTG nose to ear. What I really noticed on this pass was the Sabre was more nimble and I was easier to navigate than the Genesis but again the Genesis is almost a mindless great shaving, hard to cut yourself heavy razor that you don't really need to maneuver but rather just guide it and let the pivot do most of the work so not as challenging as the Sabre but I'm sure some of us on those certain days might like that when we just want a solid DFS in under 5 minutes without really thinking about what we are doing. The Genesis is sure to deliver that with no irritation. So at the end of this pass I was at a level 1 BBS on both sides except the one spot on my neck. It was being really stubborn tonight but again with a touch up I would have been there.

Pass 4 - ATG This is always were the Genesis shines. It just doesn't give you any resistance or pull it just goes and again I think I was getting so cocky with it that I just went super fast with very long strokes and looking back I won't do that again at least not when doing a comparison review. Sabre at this point was almost as smooth a shaver and it glided along great and still giving me just a tad of feedback. I almost liken the Sabre to the Brass General I have and they seem somewhat similar and that is a comparison which I'm absolutely going to do to see if the Sabre can hang with the General. So at the end of the 4th pass to get the nitpicky results I'm looking for I rinsed with very cold water, towel dried and then used the blow dryer on the cold setting to really get my face very dry to do a proper cotton test. So after the cotton test the results are in. Both sides of my face and neck were a level 2 BBS shave with the exception of my cowlick on my neck on the Genesis side. It was a level 1 BBS as it grabbed more cotton than anywhere else. So in the end although these two both gave me a solid BBS level 2 shave after 4 passes and no touch ups. They do get there a little differently but not as much as I expected. I mean this is no GEM MMOC vs Sabre or Genesis which I'm sure would be a whole different ball game. So slight advantage goes to the Sabre in this comparison but I'm still not happy with my cocky attitude when using the Genesis. Could the results be different if I had paid a little more attention with the Genesis. Not sure maybe and I can tell you I won't ever do it again when doing a comparison.

I also really like the Gem blades they give me a smoother shave In my opinon than the Feathers.

Just an added note on Sabre. Got to say props for a nice presentation as far as the packaging and it's a well machined great looking modern razor. So nice job Stan!

Great comparison, but change Stan to Shane. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review. The Sabre is a great shaver as I noted in my comparison. The only BIG negative is the screw post with the two sides cut off. You noted it too, but it is a lot harder to screw on the head and even now, I still have to attempt a couple of times. The OB is absolutely brainless in blade loading.

Great comparison, but change Stan to Shane. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL Thanks for the catch It was very late last night when I wrote the review. I can't tell you how many edits I made but didn't catch that one. Unfortunately I can't edit it anymore or I'm not sure how to go around the no edit symbol and do it another way. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great review. The Sabre is a great shaver as I noted in my comparison. The only BIG negative is the screw post with the two sides cut off. You noted it too, but it is a lot harder to screw on the head and even now, I still have to attempt a couple of times. The OB is absolutely brainless in blade loading.

Thank you!
I saw your review and I really enjoyed it as well. And yes if I could say one thing that so far I know I'm not going to like is trying to get the handle back on the head. It takes me several attempts and I'm afraid if I keep doing that eventually it may damage the screw threads. It's also a little bit of a harsh twist on up even when you do get it on properly and I'm thinking should I oil the screw but I'm not sure at this time so I'll see if it gets any better with time. Other than that the Sabre is a winner in my books.

Both sides of my face and neck were a level 2 BBS shave with the exception of my cowlick on my neck on the Genesis side. It was a level 1 BBS as it grabbed more cotton than anywhere else. So in the end although these two both gave me a solid BBS level 2 shave after 4 passes and no touch ups.
Though I enjoyed your review and all, this part of it stood out as very confusing. It was confusing in 2 manners as I never knew there were multiple levels of BBS first of all and secondly, are you aware of the actual definition of BBS as passed down through the generations by those that came before us?

From the ShaveWiki
BBS:
Baby butt smooth. A completely smooth shave result. Circular rubbing pattern with the fingertips can't detect any sort of stubble left, period.

It would, IMO, seem that what you actually attained was a DFS as opposed to BBS as that slight bit of stubble grabbed the cotton ball that you experienced...
DFS:
Damn Fine Shave. A near-BBS. WTG/XTG is completely smooth, ATG will feel a little bit of light stubble.

Thank you!
I saw your review and I really enjoyed it as well. And yes if I could say one thing that so far I know I'm not going to like is trying to get the handle back on the head. It takes me several attempts and I'm afraid if I keep doing that eventually it may damage the screw threads. It's also a little bit of a harsh twist on up even when you do get it on properly and I'm thinking should I oil the screw but I'm not sure at this time so I'll see if it gets any better with time. Other than that the Sabre is a winner in my books.
Once you have the blade in the top & bottom plate and are ready to screw on the handle, what I do is I turn it 1/2 to 3/4 counter clockwise to square it up. Squares it on the thread post and tighten right up. Works everytime without worries of cross threading.....

Great point and I'm very familiar with both terms. In my many shaves throughout the years I've been wet shaving I've gotten what most would consider BBS shaves many, many times and yes when you've finished your shave and put your post shave products on and it feels like there is no stubble left or even when you've just rinsed, dried and you don't feel any stubble at all with your hands if you do the cotton test I do. ( NOTE: I only do this when I'm being extremely picky or doing a in depth review or in this case a comparison do I use this method ) You'd be surprised how much cotton can show up on what by hand feel you'd call a BBS shave which goes along with the Shave Wiki's description of a BBS shave.
So I kind of came up with my own system of determining what I call a level 1 to a level 3 BBS shave. So I'll explain the system I use. To start after level 1 BBS shave if you do the test you will get a very slight amount of cotton coming off at different amounts and in different spots but pretty much all over the face. ( again feeling this with your hands you would consider this a BBS shave and not feel any stubble ) A level 2 is when there is no cotton coming off except in a few spots which may or may not be your typical trouble spots but I find most of the time it is. A level 3 is when there is absolutely no cotton coming off at all. I do this test with a completely dry face and no post shave products on at all. Again this evaluation may not be for everybody but it's how I personally gauge a BBS shaves. I'm glad you brought it up publicly as I've had email messages from shaving brothers who have either questioned it or don't understand it. Al many have now tried it and many now use it in our discussions. Oh and in case you try it I find that the organic cotton balls are easier to work with than the normal one and cost only a few pennies more.
So thank you for bringing it up and I hope I've explained it properly. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Once you have the blade in the top & bottom plate and are ready to screw on the handle, what I do is I turn it 1/2 to 3/4 counter clockwise to square it up. Squares it on the thread post and tighten right up. Works everytime without worries of cross threading.....
Now that is a very helpful tip. I was a little concerned I'd do some damage to the threading. Thanks!

Though I enjoyed your review and all, this part of it stood out as very confusing. It was confusing in 2 manners as I never knew there were multiple levels of BBS first of all and secondly, are you aware of the actual definition of BBS as passed down through the generations by those that came before us?

From the ShaveWiki
BBS:
Baby butt smooth. A completely smooth shave result. Circular rubbing pattern with the fingertips can't detect any sort of stubble left, period.

It would, IMO, seem that what you actually attained was a DFS as opposed to BBS as that slight bit of stubble grabbed the cotton ball that you experienced...
DFS:
Damn Fine Shave. A near-BBS. WTG/XTG is completely smooth, ATG will feel a little bit of light stubble.

I apologize I didn't do a quote and reply to you but I did respond in post #10.
Again thank you for your input.

Do you find one more comfortable than the other or pretty equal?

Also how do you find these two razors hold up to a DE razors? More comfortable? As in less irritations or rawness after the shave?

Do you find one more comfortable than the other or pretty equal?

Also how do you find these two razors hold up to a DE razors? More comfortable? As in less irritations or rawness after the shave?

I'd say as far as comfort goes it would probably go to the Genesis but by just a hair and in fact maybe I'd call it just a little better glide if that makes sense. They both provide a very smooth shave with little or no irritation depending on how many passes you make of course. ATG is where the Genesis shines. It's a razor that I can if I want go back and forth every which way and never get a weeper or any real irritation. If I was pressed to say what DE will stay with the Genesis or Sabre I'd have to say the very smoothest shaving DE I have in my den right now is my Timeless .68. It glides like no other DE razor I have and I haven't gotten any real irritation from it even when doing a ATG pass even after doing 3 other passes before it. Of course others may find their results differ from mine.

Great point and I'm very familiar with both terms. In my many shaves throughout the years I've been wet shaving I've gotten what most would consider BBS shaves many, many times and yes when you've finished your shave and put your post shave products on and it feels like there is no stubble left or even when you've just rinsed, dried and you don't feel any stubble at all with your hands if you do the cotton test I do. ( NOTE: I only do this when I'm being extremely picky or doing a in depth review or in this case a comparison do I use this method ) You'd be surprised how much cotton can show up on what by hand feel you'd call a BBS shave which goes along with the Shave Wiki's description of a BBS shave.
So I kind of came up with my own system of determining what I call a level 1 to a level 3 BBS shave. So I'll explain the system I use. To start after level 1 BBS shave if you do the test you will get a very slight amount of cotton coming off at different amounts and in different spots but pretty much all over the face. ( again feeling this with your hands you would consider this a BBS shave and not feel any stubble ) A level 2 is when there is no cotton coming off except in a few spots which may or may not be your typical trouble spots but I find most of the time it is. A level 3 is when there is absolutely no cotton coming off at all. I do this test with a completely dry face and no post shave products on at all. Again this evaluation may not be for everybody but it's how I personally gauge a BBS shaves. I'm glad you brought it up publicly as I've had email messages from shaving brothers who have either questioned it or don't understand it. Al many have now tried it and many now use it in our discussions. Oh and in case you try it I find that the organic cotton balls are easier to work with than the normal one and cost only a few pennies more.
So thank you for bringing it up and I hope I've explained it properly. :thumbsup:
I totally get what you're trying to explain but again, there was only 1 level out of the 3 that was BBS and that was what you described as a Level 3 BBS... The other 2 just fall into the DFS category and that is why others get confused by what you are saying. If you have any patches, (even if its just 1), its not BBS by the set standard and you should just call it what it has been called for years and that is as I just explained and then you'd be on the same page as most everyone else and no confusion to be had!! When was the last time you rubbed a cotton ball on a baby's butt and left any residual strands of cotton because it got caught on some hair? o_O

Of course I am only suggesting this as it is what the standard has been for many, many years so far and what most are used to. :cool:

Based on your shaves with the MMOC, how would you compare it to the Sabre?
I'd say it was mild, fairly efficient and has good glide. I do like and prefer the Gem blade over lets say the Feather I used in the Genesis so that's a plus GEM blades not only shave better for me but I just like the way if feel on my face a lot better if that makes any sense. Also what took me 4 passes to achieve with the Sabre I could have gotten in two and a half with the MMOC. The MMOC is definitely considerably more efficient than the Sabre and in a whole other league to me. Blade loading is another area it can't even come close to the MMOC. GEM loads in a nano second and I was there messing with the handle and head trying to get it on without damaging the threads. Probably what i dislike the most. about the Sabre. But GlazedBoker has owned one and gave me a few tips on that issue so we will see how that goes. Right now I'd say It's a like thing with the Sabre but it was absolute love at first shave for me with the MMOC and I'll be upfront and honest I've got at least 8 of them right now and I'll probably keep the two that are in what i'd call mint near perfect condition. One I'll leave as is and the other I want to have replated in Rhodium and keep it forever like i did with my Fatboy. That's how much I like the MMOC! I'll also keep one of the good pretty good ones for daily and travel as well. The others I've got on ebay for sale right now that I cleaned, sterilized and polished that are in nice condition. Hope that helps if you're thinking of buying a Sabre. I personally feel it would be a let down for you. Just sayin.

I totally get what you're trying to explain but again, there was only 1 level out of the 3 that was BBS and that was what you described as a Level 3 BBS... The other 2 just fall into the DFS category and that is why others get confused by what you are saying. If you have any patches, (even if its just 1), its not BBS by the set standard and you should just call it what it has been called for years and that is as I just explained and then you'd be on the same page as most everyone else and no confusion to be had!! When was the last time you rubbed a cotton ball on a baby's butt and left any residual strands of cotton because it got caught on some hair? o_O

Of course I am only suggesting this as it is what the standard has been for many, many years so far and what most are used to. :cool:
HAHA! It's been a long time since I was changing my sons diapers and feeling a baby's bottom so I can't say I've done a cotton test.
I totally understand and respect what you're saying and by no means do i want to confuse anyone or disrespect what has always been as a definition of a BBS shave. Like I said if you feel your face with your hands after what you normally describe as a BBS shave and you confirm you feel no stubble then that is a BBS shave no questions asked. But all I'm saying is do a cotton test on that same shave with a completely dry face and you may get some cotton coming off and I get that you're saying that it should be called a DFS. But remember using hand feel it felt like you had no stubble left and yet cotton is sticking in spots. The only difference is I've found that by making more passes or in some cases doing more touch ups in the area that the cotton sticks you get and even smoother BBS shave and eventually nothing sticks which is what i've been calling a level 3 BBS. Also I must be clear on this I've been doing this technique for at least 2 yrs now and eventually you can tell the difference with hand feel between what I've called level 1, 2 and 3. And again to be perfectly clear I'm nitpicking here. Feeling it by hand is so minimal between a level 1 and 3 that someone who was new to this probably couldn't couldn't tell one from the other but would see it only by the use of cotton.

So out of respect for both you, all the other members on here and like you said all who have passed before I won't use this method of describing a BBS shave any longer on here although I'll still use it for my evaluation of razors I do comparisons with in my own den and when talking with some of my shaving brothers who now use this system.

In fact I just picked up a Charcoal Level 3 OC and I can't wait to see how it compares to the Timeless .95 gap which is only one of two razors that I've ever gotten what i refer to as a level 3 BBS smooth shave well besides my R41 but if I achieve it when i post the comparison I won't use the level terms any longer on here.

I thank you sir for your straight forward comments and input and I truly do appreciate them. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hope that helps if you're thinking of buying a Sabre. I personally feel it would be a let down for you. Just sayin.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have an interest in buying one, was just curious. For a razor to even be considered in a comparison against the MMOC, it would have to be an open comb. The Streamline comes close but falls short. It's easier to load with the flip top and out weighs the MMIC by 20 grams but is slightly less efficient in the hands of the initiated.

Thanks again for the reply!

Top Bottom