What's new

Black Dress Shoes

I need to purchase a pair of black dress shoes to wear when performing with a classical musical group. I don't want to spend an extraordinary amount of money because I will doubtless wear them only when performing, about four times a year. Any recommendations? Brand? Style? New? Like new condition on Ebay?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a nice pair of cap-toes at a J&M outlet - they're everywhere in my part of the country. I think I paid $190 (about $100 off retail) and they will last the rest of my life for as often as I wear them.

That was years ago and I think most of their shoes are made in China or similar now, so that's possibly something to consider. They have cheaper lines that look good.

Budget?

What is the "uniform"of your group?

Putting the above aside for a moment-

You can get a recraftable shoe from Ebay under 100.00USD all day long that would have a retail value of 200.00USD.

You can sometimes find a similar shoe in a vintage or thrift store for 10-25USD.

Budget?

What is the "uniform"of your group?

Putting the above aside for a moment-

You can get a recraftable shoe from Ebay under 100.00USD all day long that would have a retail value of 200.00USD.

You can sometimes find a similar shoe in a vintage or thrift store for 10-25USD.
Black dress shirt with no tie. Black dress pants. The idea is to look uniform from top to toe. Budget--Under $200. I like the idea of recraftable shoes on Ebay, but it is difficult to sort out which shoes would be worth it. Any ideas?

Sizing is always a big issue for me. If you are confident that you know what size then eBay is an option - of course there’s plenty of rubbish along with the gems just like razors from eBay. If you aren’t all that much into shoes then it’s worth considering a classic cap toe Oxford. DSW and similar outlets have reasonable quality options (Florsheim, Cole-Haan…) for well under a $100 with the discounts that are always available. The Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank is a few notches up in quality. If you get lucky on size could be quite a bargain on a more hand finished option.

Brands I would buy and/or have purchased on ebay
Allen Edmonds
Beckett Siminon
Jack Erwin
Thursday Shoes
Cordwainer Wright
To Boot New York
Magnanni
ET Wright
Vintage Royal Imperial Florsheims

The modern offerings of Florsheim, Cole-Haan, Stacey Adams and Johnston/Murphy are almost all glued together, spray on polish, non recraftable shoes of moderate quality/comfort at charitable best.

I had no more than 65 USD Shipped originally in any of the shoes in the pic below, all were ebay buys.

T to B, L to R

AE/AE/Jack Erwin/Bostonian
ET Wright/AE/AE/Jack Erwin
IMG_0025.jpeg

Brands I would buy and/or have purchased on ebay
Allen Edmonds
Beckett Siminon
Jack Erwin
Thursday Shoes
Cordwainer Wright
To Boot New York
Magnanni
ET Wright
Vintage Royal Imperial Florsheims

The modern offerings of Florsheim, Cole-Haan, Stacey Adams and Johnston/Murphy are almost all glued together, spray on polish, non recraftable shoes of moderate quality/comfort at charitable best.

I had no more than 65 USD Shipped originally in any of the shoes in the pic below, all were ebay buys.

T to B, L to R

AE/AE/Jack Erwin/Bostonian
ET Wright/AE/AE/Jack Erwin
View attachment 1755229
Handsome shoes from quality shoe manufacturers. Your experience is helpful in considering and Ebay purchase. Did you have to get an resole/heel or other rework done? That can add considerable cost nowadays

Not initially. if I spend 40-60 on ebay, I will only do so if they are ready to go absent a cleaning and shine.

I also install heal taps on all of my dress shoes and I never wear the same shoes 2x in a row unless i am traveling.

Solid advice re the Allen Edmonds Shoebank. The difference for spending an extra $50-$100 or so over JC Penny/ Kohls etc mall-crap, is well worth it.
However, that may be a stretch if your overall outfit budget is $200. Buying and wearing second-hand shoes isn’t for everyone, so if you do end up going the mall route, do yourself a favor and at least buy pair of lace-ups with a rounded toe, like in the pic upthread. Don’t get a pair of square-toed slip-ons, unless you really do want to look like a night-shift security guard.
Even if you’re only wearing them four times a year, keep them brushed and polished. It will make all the difference.

EDIT: If you’re quick and in luck size-wise, these Derbys at J Crew are a steal. Men's Clothing - Dress Shoes & Sneakers | J.Crew - https://www.jcrew.com/all/mens/categories/shoes?sub-categories=mens~categories~shoes~dress-shoes

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I recently purchased a pair of formal patent leather shoes from the Shoe Bank. Like the OP, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes I would wear only a few times a year.

And while shoes from the Shoe Bank are deemed “seconds”, the blemishes that didn’t pass QC, are not discernible whatsoever and yet the shoes are sold at a substantial discount. Win-win.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
You can get black dress shoes from Allen Edmonds - and even Alden sometimes - in a number of different styles for $50 or less all day long on Ebay. Black shoes are always cheaper than brown on the second-hand market.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't want to spend an extraordinary amount of money because I will doubtless wear them only when performing, about four times a year. Any recommendations?

What brick and mortar shopping options (stores and shoe brands) are locally available? The benefits of trying the shoes in person are not to be underestimated.

And while shoes from the Shoe Bank are deemed “seconds”, the blemishes that didn’t pass QC, are not discernible whatsoever and yet the shoes are sold at a substantial discount.

Given the almost legendary persnikiness of @johnniegold when it comes to shoes, this is high praise indeed.

Top Bottom