What's new

Black Beauty?

Which of the Super Adjustables are the model commonly referred to around here as the "Black Beauty"?

I finished up my "week of adjustables" this morning, using my Super, and it got me wondering. This one is the model with the black plastic base under the metal blade tray. The date code in the tray is a D1, making it from the 1st quarter of 1983 I think (my newest DE aside from my Merkur).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Which of the Super Adjustables are the model commonly referred to around here as the "Black Beauty"?

I finished up my "week of adjustables" this morning, using my Super, and it got me wondering. This one is the model with the black plastic base under the metal blade tray. The date code in the tray is a D1, making it from the 1st quarter of 1983 I think (my newest DE aside from my Merkur).

Been there, done that :) http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109696&highlight=black+beauty+adjustable
Not sure there is a consensus

Thanks. Funny, I actually remembered that thread, hoping there might be some more input. But I think the leader based on that thread is the model like I have, with the black plastic base. Sounds good to me :thumbup1:

The "Black Beauty" is lighter than the 1969-76 long handle models for two reasons:

The plastic base plate weighs less than the brass one,

and the doors and other metal head parts are made from thinner stock.

The "black beauty" I had was given to a friend to shave her legs with. She likes it for the longer handle and lighter weight. I prefer the greater heft of the older models.

I remember several discussions about this but don't recall anything definitive other than some informal nicknames assigned over the years. For personal reasons, I love the twin of yours, Rick: an unused 1982 (C-3) long handle, plastic baseplate Super Adjustable. But I selfishly consider my 1971 (R-3) short-handle, metal baseplate SA to be a "beauty" as well as it's one of my favorite shavers.

Now I've always understood it to indicate a Long Handled Super Adjustable. Regardless of base plate. I have a metal plate long handled one.

I also agree with Phil.

But ebay sellers will call anything black and adjustable a Black Beauty. Come to think of it they will call what ever, anything. But generally a Fatboy. :cursing:

Len

LOL! I especially loved the ball handled Tech I saw that was called (a) Fatboy and (b) adjustable. :001_unsur

LOL! I especially loved the ball handled Tech I saw that was called (a) Fatboy and (b) adjustable. :001_unsur

Yeah, the adjustable part is what gets me even more than the fatboy misnomers. I can understand someone not knowing what a fatboy is, but how can someone look at a tech and say to themselves, 'hey, you can adjust the blade angle on this thing'?

I suppose technically you can, by loosening the handle a bit. Gillette even suggested doing that in their early old type sets. But come on.

Saw a couple of really ugly '40's style Super Speeds (not just dirty, beat to hell) advertised as Fat Boys awhile back. I messaged the Seller and informed him that keyword "poaching" was against eBay policies. He messaged back accusing me of harassing him....

Yeah, I thought about reporting him.... but after 4 or 6 clicks, trying to get the correct place (they don't make it easy), I decided it wasn't worth my effort. Maybe I should have tried calling... (I've had really good results dealing with eBay on the telephone).

BTW, my "Black Beauty" wasn't advertised as such. Never would have even bought it, but it came with 11 other razors in the first display case I bought. And it shaves really well!

Top Bottom