What's new

BigD's Derby Shave Stick Review

Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of the Derby Shave Stick. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;
  1. Pears Mint Bath Soap (Used for both body and hair)
  2. Dollar Shave Club Face Wash
  3. Dollar Shave Club Face Scrub (Very aggressive gritty scrub)
  4. Derby Shave Stick
  5. West Coast Shaving Tortoise Shell Black Knot Synthetic (quick drying for travel)
  6. Rockwell 6S
  7. Kai (4th use)
  8. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  9. Gillette Coolwave Aftershave (Philippine Version)
  10. Gillette Coolwave Deodorant (USA Version)
  11. Marmara EDC No 2
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Derby Shave Stick. This is also the same process I use with all my shave soaps;
  1. Brushed Teeth
  2. Took Shower
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Ran Derby Stick under hot water
  5. Rubbed Derby Stick on face
  6. Lather my face
  7. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  8. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  9. Pass I WTG (R6)
  10. Lather face
  11. Pass II XTG (R5)
  12. Lather face
  13. Pass III Chin to Ear (R4)
  14. Check for pick ups (None Needed)
  15. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather
  16. Rinse face
  17. Apply alum to Face
  18. Rinse Alum Block
  19. Clean equipment
  20. Rinse off Alum from face
  21. Dry off
  22. Apply Aftershave
  23. Apply Deodorant
  24. Apply EDC
Now for my thoughts.
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Extremely quick and easy
      1. It’s a Turkish based shave stick, they know what they are doing
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Great quality
  3. Cushion
    1. Great Cushion
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. Slickety Slick
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. Still Passably Slick
  5. Scent
    1. Not the best
    2. Not the worst
    3. Goes great with any Aftershave/Cologne combination
  6. Rinse
    1. A good bit of slickness remains
  7. Post Shave
    1. Meh
      1. Has a drying effect
      2. You may need a balm
This is my travel shave set up for when I am going to live out of a duffel for awhile. It’s quick, it’s easy, and I don’t have to carry anything else besides the brush, the stick, and my razor for the shave. You can get a good quality shave quick and easy.

I have this stick in bulk and also Arko sticks. To be honest, the scent is just like Arko, just not as strong. Everything else seems to be in line with Arko. However, this has more of a slickness with a dryer lather than Arko does. Nothing more water can't fix with Arko. Not a bad shave at all, but it will never be as luxurious as a Williams, Stirling, or Tabac shave. It’s still light years better than canned foam, shave gel, or a shave butter. Even if you use this as your only shaving soap you can't go wrong. Turkish really know their barbering.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of trying this soap stick for quite awhile. I might give it a go.

Thank you everyone.
20190323_172806.jpg
20190323_172747.jpg

You had me at smells lighter than Arko then lost me at not as luxurious as Williams. I'm lost in the desert at night.

You had me at smells lighter than Arko then lost me at not as luxurious as Williams. I'm lost in the desert at night.
Though it is easier to get a lather with Derby and Arko if you work Williams to its fullest potential it is a much nicer lather. I understand your concern. However, looking through the forums it might be a water thing with Williams. I might just have gotten lucky and have good water provided by the US Government here. The facilities where I am quartered have a nice sign that says, "Water is drinkable". Which is a shocker considering that most places I've been like this have signs in big bold letters, "DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER!"

I guess I need to try the Williams. Love the Arko. I can't bring myself to look at anything with the Derby name on it. It's ok though.

I guess I need to try the Williams. Love the Arko. I can't bring myself to look at anything with the Derby name on it. It's ok though.
Just curious, why Derby of all brands? I'm totally against Treet for my own reasons.

I had a bad experience with a bulk buy of Derby Extra blades. I tried for 2 years to find a way to use them. I wasn't successful.
I don't blame you. I haven't had a good experience with either Derby Extra or Derby Lion. What is weird is I have had great experiences with Derby Premiums, Concords, and Derby Usta. I've just had my second run with the Usta earlier today. I'm quite impressed so far.

I don't blame you. I haven't had a good experience with either Derby Extra or Derby Lion. What is weird is I have had great experiences with Derby Premiums, Concords, and Derby Usta. I've just had my second run with the Usta earlier today. I'm quite impressed so far.
Good luck with the blades. I really want Turkish products to be successful.

Thank you for your service.

Good luck with the blades. I really want Turkish products to be successful.

Thank you for your service.
You don't have to thank me. I haven't worn the uniform in years. I just get to work with some of the finest men and women that do.

Detailed and interesting review....I found it drying post shave as well.....Smells like ARKO with a hint of limonene added......

Top Bottom