What's new

Big Fellow Advice

I need some advice so I am coming to tap the vast knowledge of the forum once again.

I just got a call from my dad who is on vacation and stopped into an antique store. He found a cased Big Fellow. From his description, it sounds like a New Improved in nickel. It is in great shape from what he can tell (it is in a locked case so he did not get a close look at it yet). Attached is a pic I borrowed from Mr. Razor's website. Achim, I hope you don't mind, but I knew you'd have a great example to share.

The store owner is asking $60 it. Is this a fair price assuming it is in good shape?

Are there any issues that are common to the Big Fellow that I should look for (like a cracked handle)?

Any thoughts on how they shave?

Thanks gentlemen.

IMO $60 is a bit much.
The big fellows have the same issues any open comb 3 pieces have. The possibility of bent teeth and cracked handles. I honestly think you could find a big fellow less expensively here on B&B with a WTB thread.

If it was me I'd naturally try and talk a shop owner down, they usually do.
It is rather hard to verify a price on a piece without seeing it.

I would say a set complete with case and blade box in very good-excellent condition would be worth 50.00 plus but again, hard to say without seeing.

These are not as likely to come with a crack in the handle as they were much thicker and heavier than other types.
Great shavers for sure.

Edit: I agree with above, beware of bent teeth.

I concur with the above in terms of what to lookout for but as far as price I would say if it has no issues and no plate loss, in a correct case and the case in good shape it is well worth the $60.00.

Thanks for the insights.

I was not looking for a Big Fellow, so I won't be heart broken to let this one go. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on a great opportunity.

If it was me I'd naturally try and talk a shop owner down, they usually do.
It is rather hard to verify a price on a piece without seeing it.

Well said, Ray. I wish I could see it for myself. Love my dad, but he does not know DE razors...he's an electric user! (I am trying to help him see the light.)

Maybe I'll send him back to take a closer look and if things look good, make an offer. If it works...great, if not...oh well.

The others have made some great conclusions for you to consider. But I can't emphasize enough the need to be sure that none of the teeth on the comb are bent or missing. The razor is worthless for the most part with missing or bent teeth.

Have the dealer take the razor out of the case and have your dad look it over very well. No cracks, no bent or broken teeth. And be sure that there is very little plate loss. And that is shines.

If you dad can bargain with the dealer have he say something like this will be a shaver not a display piece and that you can get one that is as nice to shave with on this site or whatever site you think might do the trick.

Mint or near mint Big Fellows of the New or New and Improved types can fetch over $200. The difference is in the lack of crack(s) in the handle, the condition of the plating - especially in the head cap area, and the condition of the teeth.

I have an Old Type BF, and I love the handle; hefty, but well-balanced. The knurling is more pronounced for a very secure grip.

Top Bottom