What's new

Big differences in synthetics?

Hello,

I have two different Yaqi synthetic brushes that were quite low cost, and I quite enjoy them and think they do a pretty decent job compared to my badgers.

I was just wondering if spending a good bit more on something like a Simpson chubby 2 synthetic or Muhle silvertip would be a worthwhile step up, or just more expensive versions of the same (performance wise)?

Thanks.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You don't have to spend a lot as you already know since you are happy with your Yaqi brushes. They will vary in performance but with more similarities than differences. My top 4 synthetics are RazoRock Big Bruce, Edwin Jagger, Muhle STF, and Chubby 2. All very close in performance IMO.
The Chubby 2 knot is more dense than any other with a short loft also. If you want to try the difference experience it may be worth it for you. Off hand I would say it is not worth the extra money if you are just looking for a good shave.

Brushes_Best.JPG

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have used only four different makers so far:
Plisson from L'Occitane
Simpson Chubby
Shavemac (first brush in the USA)
Muehle (my travel brush for years now).
The first on is absolutely unusable, it is like a wet mop.
Shavemac and Simpson are not bad, they are quite close to each other.
The Muehle is the best of the group, hands down - but this is just my personal opinion.
I am a badger guy and use syns sparingly, but the travel brush a lot, though.

Last edited:
There are several different synthetic knots which vary in face feel, backbone and other properties.

Muhle STF is a different type of synthetic fiber than others and many would say a better simulation of natural hair.

Mew brown (aka Synbad) is one of the nicer synthetic knots, IMHO. Soft with a tiny bit of scrub.

Plisson-style is soft but feels more like a large makeup brush than a shaving brush. It works well once you adjust to it.

Tuxedo knot has more backbone than Plisson-style, but still feels just a bit plasticy to me. Scrubby face feel, which I actually like.

Cashmere (aka Angel Hair) is extremely soft and dense. Basically zero backbone, falls over when itt touches your face. Good lathering, though.

I have 3 different RR's and they are excellent and inexpensive.
One Muhle which on sale was x3$ more; and it's just OK for me...but it's closer to animal brushes.

If you are happy with your Yaqi synthetic brushes, there is no need to buy another synthetic.
If, however, you have the money and want something different, then the Simpsons and Muhle synthetic brushes are excellent.
Personally, I prefer the Chubby 2, but that is, of course, very subjective.
Good luck.

Thank you guys, good comnents and advice.

Although i quite like the Yaqi, I find it moves the lather around my face a bit (i directly face lather 90% of the time) rather than build it up if that makes sense. Rather like wiping it around my face.

My badgers dont seem to do that and let me build up a nice thick covering.

A synthetic that acted and felt badger like would be good.

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thank you guys, good comnents and advice.

Although i quite like the Yaqi, I find it moves the lather around my face a bit (i directly face lather 90% of the time) rather than build it up if that makes sense. Rather like wiping it around my face.

A synthetic that acted and felt badger like would be good.

Thanks!

If you want one that feels like a badger then Muhle STF is what you want. Here is my 25mm knot and a 23mm knot.

Brushes Muhle.JPG

If you like a synthetic that splays I would suggest that you avoid the Chubby 2 synthetic. If you bowl lather you will probably like it. It is more suited to painting strokes than splaying - this was the advice that I was given by Simpsons themselves. Plenty of folks love it though.

That wet mop brush is right up my alley. I love the moppy feel on my face.!
I heard Yaqi has a new product coming out that you might be interested in.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Based on the OP's description of his brushes "moving the lather around" his face I would think either the Simpson or the Shavemac would be worth a try - while at the expensive end of the synthetic range, both are priced far less than their badger counterparts. I have both, as well as a Muhle, and have tried Plisson, Yaqui and some others. Of all of them the Shavemac and Simpson Chubby 2 are the only one's that have real backbone

I have not used expensive synthetics like Simpsons and Muhle STF but the impression I get from the reviews, is that the performance/feel difference is minimal compared to the common synthetics. I'm pretty satisfied with Yaqi synthetics as they perform well all the time. As for "moving around the lather" I've never had that experience with Yaqi synthetics. It really depends on the soap for me. The IB Amici is a great example of soap that produces lather that moves around. Something like Stirling works well with any brush out there.

I am really enjoying my Chubby 2 synth as it has some backbone which my others don’t have. Still, I do enjoy my L’Occitane Plisson in days I want no scrub at all. And my Razorock is a lovely soft brush too as is my Yaqi. I supposed I am biased to my Chubby since it was more expensive and it is a Chubby! But I do love the look and feel in the hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have RR Big Bruce, FA Stout and incoming 2 synths from Shavemac:
piecesProducts:
1 xSynthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator
Color:Butterscotch
Shape:89
Shavemac logo:Logo on outside
Quality and Size:24 mm Synthetic
Hair length ( Loft):50 mm
Knot Shape:S-Fan Knot Shape
1 xSynthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator
Shavemac logo:Logo on outside
Quality and Size:24 mm Synthetic
Knot Shape:S-Fan Knot Shape
Shape:386
Color:Jade
Hair length ( Loft):52 mm
Readable when:Brush hangs

So far the RR Big Bruce is too soft for my taste. Zero backbone* but in painting motion it swoops like a paintbrush, quite impressive if you have a big or rounded face (I have neither of those).
FA Stout is a totally different animal, much more dense which gives it an adequate backbone* without being harder or ''stingy'' and I prefer it way more (also sized at 24mm it does not feel too big for my face).

I will wait for the Shavemacs to arrive and try to post an update.

P.S. I have no experience with natural brushes.

( *If I understand correctly backbone is the resistance when pushing the brush vertically to an area, correct me if I am wrong)

Top Bottom