What's new

Big differences in synthetics?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have a Muhle and find it ok. To be ideal for me it needs a shorter loft and a bit denser in the knot.

I suspect the Simpson or Shavemac would be more to my liking.

As a frame of reference to what qualities I prefer in a synthetic. My favorite badger brush is a Shavemac D01 Two band flat top. So if you are familiar with Shavemac’s grading system you can tell that one has a BUNCH of backbone.

Thanks.

Well, I have ordered a Shavemac, so we will see what that will be like.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Based on the OP's description of his brushes "moving the lather around" his face I would think either the Simpson or the Shavemac would be worth a try - while at the expensive end of the synthetic range, both are priced far less than their badger counterparts. I have both, as well as a Muhle, and have tried Plisson, Yaqui and some others. Of all of them the Shavemac and Simpson Chubby 2 are the only one's that have real backbone

Great comparison!!

Shavemac and Simpsons are the two synthetics that tempt me. :a14: :a14:

In general, synthetics do naturally make lower structure, more even coated lathers on the face, however with some practice they can also build lathers just as volumnus and high structure as a badger or boar. I regularly use a larger knot Plissoft and also smaller Yaqi knot. Synthetics are the be-all-end-all brush for me!

So far the RR Big Bruce is too soft for my taste. Zero backbone* but in painting motion it swoops like a paintbrush, quite impressive if you have a big or rounded face (I have neither of those).
FA Stout is a totally different animal, much more dense which gives it an adequate backbone* without being harder or ''stingy'' and I prefer it way more (also sized at 24mm it does not feel too big for my face).

If you like the way the Stout feels, find the Big Bruce to have too little backbone, and would like the same fiber in a 26 mm knot, check out the Stirling synthetic with pro handle. The Big Bruce is listed as 26x63 mm, while the Stirling is listed as 26x54 mm. Big difference in feel between 54 and 63 mm loft. The Stout is listed as 24x50, but mine has about 52 mm loft.

If you like the way the Stout feels, find the Big Bruce to have too little backbone, and would like the same fiber in a 26 mm knot, check out the Stirling synthetic with pro handle. The Big Bruce is listed as 26x63 mm, while the Stirling is listed as 26x54 mm. Big difference in feel between 54 and 63 mm loft. The Stout is listed as 24x50, but mine has about 52 mm loft.

Unfortunately shipping across the pond (I am in Greece) makes it very expensive for me but thanks for taking time to respond!

Ive tried various synthetics and I dont find a whole lot of difference in performance from the lower-end options to the higher-end ones. Id put a Yaqi up against any other synthetic on the market.
IMO, when youre talking synthetic, the knots are all pretty much the same, what you are really paying for is the handle. Especially with a Simpson, what you are paying for is the handle, the Simpson name and the fact that the knot is hand packed. Ive got a couple Simpsons and theyre wonderful brushes but I dont know if Id spend the money on them again. (but if youre a Simpson fan, maybe you would)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Ive tried various synthetics and I dont find a whole lot of difference in performance from the lower-end options to the higher-end ones. Id put a Yaqi up against any other synthetic on the market.
IMO, when youre talking synthetic, the knots are all pretty much the same, what you are really paying for is the handle. Especially with a Simpson, what you are paying for is the handle, the Simpson name and the fact that the knot is hand packed. Ive got a couple Simpsons and theyre wonderful brushes but I dont know if Id spend the money on them again. (but if youre a Simpson fan, maybe you would)
I agree with just about all you said. Synthetic is plastic - it ain't expensive. You pay for brand and handle. Muhle may legitimately have slightly superior fibers or next week someone else will, but mostly the same.

My BIL's Shavemac synthetic arrived today, I'm not going to use it, but just looking at it, I'm pretty sure I would prefer it over my Muhle Silvertip Fibre. Appearance wise, the Muhle looks more badger like, but the Shavemac is denser and a little stiffer. I'm not sure it that is just due to the different fiber or the different density. But I'd like even more density, so if I ever pull the trigger on another synthetic it would probably be a Simpson's Chubby 2 or 3. Dense and short loft. A winner in my book.

Interestingly I went for the Muhle because I had a Muhle Silvertip Fibre travel brush. It was firmer than the Muhle I have now. Had I got them in reverse order I would have only ever owned one Muhle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I agree with just about all you said. Synthetic is plastic - it ain't expensive. You pay for brand and handle. Muhle may legitimately have slightly superior fibers or next week someone else will, but mostly the same.

My BIL's Shavemac synthetic arrived today, I'm not going to use it, but just looking at it, I'm pretty sure I would prefer it over my Muhle Silvertip Fibre. Appearance wise, the Muhle looks more badger like, but the Shavemac is denser and a little stiffer. I'm not sure it that is just due to the different fiber or the different density. But I'd like even more density, so if I ever pull the trigger on another synthetic it would probably be a Simpson's Chubby 2 or 3. Dense and short loft. A winner in my book.

Interestingly I went for the Muhle because I had a Muhle Silvertip Fibre travel brush. It was firmer than the Muhle I have now. Had I got them in reverse order I would have only ever owned one Muhle.

This is where the YMMV kicks in. ;)

To my face, there are differences between the various types of synthetic knots. And even though none of the synthetic knots I've tried to date suck, I do prefer certain synthetic knots over others.

Really Good:
Full Moon
Silvertip Fiber
Shavemac

Pretty Darn Good:
Cashmere
Tuxedo
Angel Hair

Good:
Synbad

Next on the list: I want to try Simpson's and Mother Lode brushes to see how they compare.

As always, YMMV. :)

To my face, there are differences between the various types of synthetic knots. And even though none of the synthetic knots I've tried to date suck, I do prefer certain synthetic knots over others.

Really Good:
Full Moon
Silvertip Fiber
Shavemac

Pretty Darn Good:
Cashmere
Tuxedo
Angel Hair

Good:
Synbad

Next on the list: I want to try Simpson's and Mother Lode brushes to see how they compare.

Motherlode is like silk across your face. There is zero backbone and zero scrub but just smooth glide of the bristles. It makes for a fantastic lather though. I quite enjoy it.

I have used only four different makers so far:
Plisson from L'Occitane
Simpson Chubby
Shavemac (first brush in the USA)
Muehle (my travel brush for years now).
The first on is absolutely unusable, it is like a wet mop.
Shavemac and Simpson are not bad, they are quite close to each other.
The Muehle is the best of the group, hands down - but this is just my personal opinion.
I am a badger guy and use syns sparingly, but the travel brush a lot, though.

I used to travel quite a bit due to work and found synthetic brushes due to their robustness and short drying time quite handy.

To me; clearly the best brushes I tried were the Mühle Silvertip Fibre® and Shavemac brushes.
Typical Mühle, the Silvertip Fibre works very well but does not have a lot of backbone; the Shavemac works better in this respect.

Simpson and Omega were usable, but not nothing to write home about.
Plisson was only good for painting large areas of blue skies with watercolours...

B.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Motherlode is like silk across your face. There is zero backbone and zero scrub but just smooth glide of the bristles. It makes for a fantastic lather though. I quite enjoy it.
That sounds like Cashmere. One of the best synthetics to bowl lather and paint the lather. :)

YMMV

Milton of Turn n Shave has posted description of a large number of synthetic knots that he has available. These are some of the best descriptions I have seen.

On the web page, click on "Learn more about this item" to access the descriptions.

Really Good:
Full Moon
Silvertip Fiber
Shavemac

Pretty Darn Good:
Cashmere
Tuxedo
Angel Hair

Good:
Synbad

Imo, much of the differences in synthetic knots have to do with how deeply they are or aren't set in the handle, not so much in the knot itself.
Like you said though, ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Let me know how that Simpson is. I'd considered a Simpson because the price is so good compared to a badger Simpson but most of the reviews I found said that Simpson synthetics simply werent very good.
Muhle Silvertips fibre is a great brush though but a bit overpriced, imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am a big Motherlode fan as well. It's pretty much all I've used for the last year. Backbone/scrub lovers may not like it, but it is super soft, holds water better than other synths I've tried, and whips up lather like a demon. To me, it is quite different from other synthetics.

Tuxedos, STF fiber, motherlode and Muhle Black Fiber are my favs.
I do use twice or no more than three times a week a badger to scrub and exfoliate like no synth can do.

I have RR Big Bruce, FA Stout and incoming 2 synths from Shavemac:
piecesProducts:
1 xSynthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator
Color:Butterscotch
Shape:89
Shavemac logo:Logo on outside
Quality and Size:24 mm Synthetic
Hair length ( Loft):50 mm
Knot Shape:S-Fan Knot Shape
1 xSynthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator
Shavemac logo:Logo on outside
Quality and Size:24 mm Synthetic
Knot Shape:S-Fan Knot Shape
Shape:386
Color:Jade
Hair length ( Loft):52 mm
Readable when:Brush hangs
So far the RR Big Bruce is too soft for my taste. Zero backbone* but in painting motion it swoops like a paintbrush, quite impressive if you have a big or rounded face (I have neither of those).

FA Stout is a totally different animal, much more dense which gives it an adequate backbone* without being harder or ''stingy'' and I prefer it way more (also sized at 24mm it does not feel too big for my face).

I will wait for the Shavemacs to arrive and try to post an update.

P.S. I have no experience with natural brushes.

( *If I understand correctly backbone is the resistance when pushing the brush vertically to an area, correct me if I am wrong)

Sorry for quoting myself but finally Shavemacs arrived.

Family shot:
20191230_214438.jpg

24/52 in action:
20191230_215918.jpg

1st test, gooooood! Now this brush indeed has backbone, at least up to my small experience. Whilst it does not seem more dense than FA Stout somehow it produces lather easier. Compared to it Stout feels like it is ''moving'' the lathe,r the Shavemac is ''spraying'' it.
One point goes to Stour for being softer and from an aesthetic point of view the ''hairs'' looks more ''natural'', Shavemacs got this glow that look synthetic (like the plastic threads).

So, do I like it better? Yes.
Am I unhappy with Stout? No. It is a very good brush at a very good price, especially if you like short lofted ones.

Last edited:
My new shavemac.

I must say, it is very much like a good badger and quite different in feel and lathering to my Yaqi brushes.

Lovely brush.
proxy.php

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom