What's new

BGE cook suggestions for the weekend

Good evening gents, looking for ideas for something to try on this egg this weekend. I haven't experimented too much with the egg, have done mostly ribs, pulled pork & brisket.
Thinking maybe a whole chicken (havent ever done a beer can chicken), or maybe a prime rib.

Thoughts? I have the weekend so an overnight marinade/rub wont be a problem.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for your reply Aaron. Nothing on the seasoning front as I have never done one. Do you have a recipe or seasoning suggestion you could recommend?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for your reply Aaron. Nothing on the seasoning front as I have never done one. Do you have a recipe or seasoning suggestion you could recommend?

Yes, butter on the skin, under the skin and in the cavity. A mixture of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and a pinch of celery seed. Stick your temp prob in the thigh and smoke to 165 - 170. Good luck and post pictures or it didn't happen.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried the chicken cooked with a can of beer and this might be an acquired taste. I didn't like it. I tried it a few times and other people made it. It might be because we didn't use the right beer as we were always left with a bitter after taste. Smoking a whole chicken (or turkey) is pretty fun. Franklin has a good video on it :

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a big, I HIGHLY recommend Spatchcocking it. So easy and so effective. The entire bird turns out perfect, with all the meats being done to the proper temp and doneness.

I'll probably never do a beercan again.

If you do a big, I HIGHLY recommend Spatchcocking it. So easy and so effective. The entire bird turns out perfect, with all the meats being done to the proper temp and doneness.

I'll probably never do a beercan again.

I was just gonna post this about chicken. Spatchcock all the way.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I was just gonna post this about chicken. Spatchcock all the way.

+3 - best way for whole fowl, whether chicken or turkey, on the BGE, or a lesser grill for that matter. On the other hand, if everybody wants white or dark meat you can skip the butchering and just do bone in breasts or thighs or drums or wings - which eliminates the uneven cooking bugaboo of whole birds that the spatchcoking does reduce almost completely. Also +1 one the beer can chicken method, have tried a couple times and unimpressed.

The Naked Whiz lays it out pretty good at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
Here's another article http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/the-food-lab-how-to-grill-a-whole-chicken.html

$spatchcocked.jpg

Last edited:
For ease of flipping and room on the grill (Vision ceramic), I actually Spatchcock the bird by splitting it right in half. Presentation is cooler if it is whole, but no one in my house is eating a whole bird anyway, let alone half.

Last edited:
This is what ours end up looking like.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1451577314935.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1451577314935.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 59
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1451577335962.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1451577335962.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 59

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For ease of flipping and room on the grill (Vision ceramic), I actually Spatchcock the bird by splitting it right in half. Presentation is cooler if it is whole, but no one in my house is eating 1/2 a bird anyway.

+1 This is how we do it in competition....or how my brother does.

$IMG_1411.jpg$IMG_1410.jpg

My kids love chicken on the BGE. If you do a whole chicken, I recommend stuffing the cavity with whole garlic, lemon or orange wedges and some fresh herbs. It helps accent any seasoning and/or marinade, IMO. I do whole chickens using the BGE plate setter for indirect cooking.

Personally, I prefer to spatchcock the bird. I'm not sure if it was already mentioned, but when grilling a spatchcock bird, I elevate the cooking grid. I have a specific insert that elevates my grid, but three bricks or some balled up tinfoil would work just fine.

Enjoy!

Personally, I prefer to spatchcock the bird. I'm not sure if it was already mentioned, but when grilling a spatchcock bird, I elevate the cooking grid. I have a specific insert that elevates my grid, but three bricks or some balled up tinfoil would work just fine.

Enjoy!

My grill has an elevated grate and I always use the TOP rack for almost all my smoking.

Chicken on the BGE is fantastic.... for something on a different track my wife loves hot smoked salmon from the egg as well (indirect, smoke at about 225 till done).

Spatchcock chicken is hard to beat, as is spatchcock turkey-juicier than fried.
Spend some time on eggheadforum.com and it will get your head spinning.

Wow! Ended up doing a coffee rub an hour or so before it hit the grill. Turned out fantastic. I don't think I would do anything different, other than maybe do 2 birds instead of one. Excuse the poor carving job. $20160103_155336.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom