What's new

Thoughts on Smoked Brisket

Pavlova--I do not think we are in Texas anymore!

Brisket is worthy of an Ode. Bread pudding probably is, too. I did not appreciate bread pudding until later in life, but it can be a special thing. I have not developed the skills for it--yet.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Now you went and did it- I need to seek this stuff out.

Nah, you Texans won't like a Pav. Then again good food knows no region restraints.

I have a brisket in the freezer that I will look a smoking over Christmas. I may even have a go at making a pav. Texas meets Aotearoa. :)

pavlova-118984-2.jpg

Darn, thought I was through with questions about brisket for a bit. The current questions are: slaver? complex or simple rub? how long in advance to apply the rub?

I am doing a brisket this weekend, for an old friend (and his wife), whom I have not seen for decades, but who was the one who really got me started cooking on any kind of "higher level" long ago. So I am perhaps feeling less experimental than I would otherwise be. As I have indicated earlier, I have been slavering the trimmed brisket with cheap yellow mustard; rubbing it with a sea salt, coarse pepper, granulated garlic, sweet paprika, and cayenne mix, but trying to keep it lightly applied; and letting it sit covered overnight in the fridge. (I realize this may be more of a traditionally pork shoulder approach to rubs, or at least a non-Central Texas approach.) As I had also indicated, I was thinking next time I would try Aaron of Franklin Barbecue's approach of 50/50 salt/pepper, applied sans slaver, only an hour before starring in the smoker. I had also expressed some concern about switching up, as in the compliments I have gotten, how the brisket was "seasoned" or "spiced" seemed to be mentioned most often.

Now my wife is really encouraging me to keep the original rub approach, because she most likes the way the brisket has been seasoned. (Not that she or the other folks necessarily know what they tasting that they like?)

The theory of the mustard it that it helps hold the rub on, but that its flavor cooks off completely in the smoker. I have never believed that as to pork or brisket! At the least, it seems to me the vinegar in the mustard leaves traces of flavor. But I think the mustard lingers, too.

I am also inclined no matter what to let at least the salt sit on the brisket overnight.

So what do we think? Is skipping the slaver and more complex rub in favor of a simpler rub applied closer to the time of smoking going to affect the brisket all that much? I have been getting good bark. I wonder if the slaver, etc. has helped with that?

Again, for better or worse, somewhat trying to play it safe.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since you have to cut your brisket in two pieces why don't you try your tried and true rub on the flat, then the 50/50 salt and pepper on the point without the mustard slather and see how it turns out in your smoker?

Two people can do the exact same prep and have two different results depending on all the variables in cooking with different smokers, etc. If the point doesn't turn out to your liking you can always cut it up in to bite sized pieces and make burnt ends. Those are always a hit.

Great suggestion, Mike. Although I have been finding that that I like the point better than the flat, so I might reverse it. The one for Saturday is a smaller brisket at 13 lb, which will probably generate its own variables. I suspect I will still have to cut it in two. Thanks.

Top Bottom