What's new

best way to re-plate vintage razors

What products do you recommend for re-plating a 1959 FatBoy and a 1912 GEM? Some brassing is happening with these razors and I want them to look new as can new. Any thoughts?

keep in mind what you're looking to do will need you to invest significantly in setup. If you are still interested you may want to spend the $15-20 and purchase the online caswell plating manual and read through it to understand the full involvement, learning curve and expense involved with replating.

I replated a fat-boy that i found for three bucks at a flee market about a mouth ago. If you take the razor apart your self it should not be too expensive. The plater that did my fat-boy is my friend so I got it done for free. I think what you should do is: a) first run a search on this sight for the post that describes in detail how to disassemble a fat boy. b) If you think you can do so with out damaging your razor, look in the yellow pages for chroming under the auto section. Most chromers can plate a variety of metals including copper, silver, nickel, gold, and of course chrome.

If you payed allot for this razor I would avoid replateing because there is a chance It will never work again. The doors on my razor aren't as smooth as they used to be. It shaves as well as ever though.

but you were lucky enough to have a friend who did it for nothing :wink: most of us aren't that lucky

That's why i'm saying call around, you aren't talking about much metal with a fat boy. Tell you what, I'll ask my friend what he would have charged any other guy and get back to you.

Top Bottom