What's new

Best SE razor for starting

Ok, was in a debate about this very topic - I said Micromatic Bullet Tip and another shaver said Gem Jr.

What say all of you?

Depends: If you're looking for a very gentle razor I would suggest the G model. Otherwise, the 1912 is a winner for most folks as the razor that they keep coming back to.

Given that injectors are SE's I would add that lately I've been getting superb shaves from my PAL using a Wilkinson blade. Bizarre as it may sound, but I'm into my third week using the same blade and it's DFS every time.

Don't forget the Featherweight. That would be a great noob choice, too.

I tried the bullet tip Micromatic the other day and found that the shave was more aggressive and not as smooth and easy as the 1912 or Featherweight. After that I had no desire to explore the Micromatics any further.

YMMV, of course. Some folks swear by the Micromatic. Probably too aggressive to start SE shaving with, IMO.

K.T.

P.S. - After stumbling across this post, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138366, I may reconsider my take on the Micromatic.
It's worth reading if you're interested in trying a Micromatic.

Last edited:
The G-Bar....not as common (it seems, at least on Ebay) but it is mild compared to the 1912 and Micromatic - to the point mine is now just sitting idle.

The 1912 Gem, hands down. And not just a starter razor.

1912 GEM Junior hands down!:thumbup:

1912 gem, nuff said yo!

+1912 :001_smile

Someday you may decide some other style of GEM is more to your liking, but the 1912 is the "classic" design so you might as well start with that before trying the others.

I actually prefer the earlier Lather Catcher (1900/1901) razors but for reasons that are purely personal and may mean nothing to others:

1. They look cooler (to me).
2. They are generally lighter weight (some would see that as a negative).

Many of the newer GEMs have a completely different head style, using a safety bar. They do use a standard SE blade which is a big plus, but I think the head style (the curled back teeth of the 1912 and earlier) is also what makes the GEM truly a gem.

I am really wanting to try a SE and I want a 1912, however I see several 1924 GEM's around that have a similar head. I am sure they shave differently but is there a huge difference? Either better for a new SE user?

Also, I see some 1912's listed as junior. Is it a size difference between the junior and the regular 1912?

Sorry for the many questions, I am just interested in the SE's.

Thanks,

J.

The G-Bar....not as common (it seems, at least on Ebay) but it is mild compared to the 1912 and Micromatic - to the point mine is now just sitting idle.

I found one NOS, and mine too is pretty much sitting idle in favour of the 1912 and the Ever Ready Streamline.

I recently had good results with both the Bullet Tip and Open Comb Micromatics, and am currently doing well with the Clog-Pruf. I can't seem to stop trying SE razors I haven't used before.

But yes, start with the 1912, for pretty much the reasons other people have been giving. I like my 1900/1901 at least as well, but they're harder to find.

Also, I see some 1912's listed as junior. Is it a size difference between the junior and the regular 1912?

Sorry for the many questions, I am just interested in the SE's.

Thanks,

J.

One can never ask too many questions!!

Gem used the name "Junior" on both the 1901/1908 and 1912 heads, and is of standard size. My favorite Gem is a Junior with the 1912 patent date. Great shaver, close but never bites.

Ok now I have to get one of these 1912s soon and see what the deal is. Anyone wanna trade a Micro-open comb or clog pruf for one. Or Ever-ready. Lemme know. Why haven't I tried one of these??

I also wondered what the difference between the regular Gem 1912 and the Gem Jr. was. I thought they were different, but even though one says Gem and the other Gem Jr., they may both use the 1912 Patent head.

Once you're familiar with what the 1912 Patent head looks like, you'll be able to identify it and know that it's a 1912 whether the razor is called Gem or Gem Jr.

I'm not really sure why Gem marketed some of their razors under the Jr. moniker. Makes me think that maybe they came out with a larger razor at the time and differentiated the lines by size, hence the appearance of the Jr. name (?). I don't know, but that may explain why the 1912 heads are found on both Gems AND Gem Jrs. Maybe someone more informed can fill in the blanks.

Incidentally, I have a more modern version of the Gem called a Contour II. This one will appeal to those who want a more modern looking Gem (it actually looks like something that might be in Star Trek, in a good way). It's milder than the 1912 or Featherweight, so might be a really good SE starter razor.

K.T.

Last edited:
Top Bottom